Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hi Johnboy, not sure what your definition of trial is (presumably as long as it suits your argument), but just to tease that out, 894m doses across 155 countries have been given out so far. Is that still a trial to you?

Also, regarding the link you posted earlier showing the lack of data on whether the vaccines reduced transmission, I find it odd that you link a article from early December before the vaccines were rolled out and blissfully ignored all the data and scientists showing clear correlation between reduced transmission and the vaccine. One just needs to look at Israel an the UK to see this.

If as your username suggests, you were born in 1951, I'd suggest you make your mind up soon.

Anyone who considers the vacine programme a trial or experiment , seems to conveniently ignore the alternatives are to;
    Trial a natural immunity in the population via infection and all the consequences that go with that

Or trialling a severe elimination strategy and the trial on our well being that goes with that along with the trial of the practicalities and collective willingness of that.

Well.. that's unless they like this in and out of lookdown craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

how common are the side effects of the vaccine i.e. 2 days of fatigue/nausea?
    i feel like everyone i hear of who has got it saying they are wrecked for 2/3 days after but not sure if they are just soft/complainers?
    are the vast majority fine with no side effects after vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Any more word on 80% vaccinated with first dose by end of May if the the second mRNA doses are increased beyond 4 weeks. I've checked all the papers,Rte etc and haven't seen it mentioned apart from someone saying it was on the News last night.

They said on that news broadcast last night the recommendation could be made as soon as today or tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

showpony1 wrote: »
    i feel like everyone i hear of who has got it saying they are wrecked for 2/3 days after but not sure if they are just soft/complainers?

My mother 93 years old got two jabs,said her arm was not even sore, 0 side effects. All her friends were the same, maybe older people get less effected because of their systems or maybe they are tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Girlfriend's brother got his second Pfizer dose in the UK today. Lucky bastärd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

in the hospital? I suppose that might make sense too. Wouldn't it be easier to send cohort 4 to the MVC like they were doing up to last week???
    Given this cohort is consultant driven, it makes great sense to keep list under the control of the consultant.

Sure MVC makes sense. There could be issues / delays getting them all set up to handle Pfizer/Moderna.

Also realise this is the HSE we’re talking about trying to get this sorted. I’m sure plans and documents need to be created, signed and then make sure they were signed correctly and then handed off to a manager to read and sign and double check that was all done correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Pfizer-BioNTech has said it will deliver an extra 100 million doses of its Covid-19 vaccine to the European Union this year.

It follows a decision by the EU to exercise an option to purchase an additional 100 million doses.

Under the EU vaccination scheme, Ireland would be entitled to over one million of these vaccines, if it wanted to purchase the jabs.

The company said the move will bring the total number of doses supplied to the EU to 600 million this year.

Pfizer said that all of the vaccines will be delivered in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

In the queue for the first dose of pfizer, nice to see so many people looking hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

I'm 32 and got one AZ so far...I was very sick that night and the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not sure if anyone has posted this already.
    Quite an interesting read.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-04-15-risk-rare-blood-clotting-higher-covid-19-vaccines

It's been posted multiple times, here and over on the AZ thread.
    There are many open questions about how the study was conducted and some of its contents, including by some of the AZ-defenders on that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Geuze wrote: »
    I find this staggering. [...] 35!!!! I can't get over that.
    Yep, my daughter - who's interested in medicine - is keeping a list of friends and family who we know who've caught the disease, and how it's panned out for them.

Worst incident was around September last year when a relly's father-in-law died of cancer and at the (sub-ten people) funeral, one of the mourners must have had asymptomatic covid as everybody there came down with it within a week, including the elderly mother-in-law who first recovered, then caught bacterial pneumonia, and was dead by the start of November. The immediate family recovered from covid, save for the two who are still suffering from symptoms typically associated with long covid.

FWIW, the family (and me) take guidelines seriously - eg, about a week after the first funeral, when the country was generally taking it quite easy, and one of my relly's immediate family had just come down with mild symptoms but not yet been tested, we dropped by for a coffee to celebrate a birthday, but me and my kid insisted on sitting outside, separated by about about four meters, and oriented so that the wind blew between us. We froze our nuts off for half an hour, but didn't catch anything and remain eternally glad that a) the relly told me before we arrived; b) neither he nor the missus minded sitting outside; c) nobody made an issue of anything - unlike elderly, anti-vax lady from the previous post who staged a four-letter-flecked, teary-faced, full-on emotional meltdown when I refused to allow her recently to plant a huge wet kiss on my cheek.

Really looking forward to getting a vaccine sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hi Johnboy, not sure what your definition of trial is (presumably as long as it suits your argument), but just to tease that out, 894m doses across 155 countries have been given out so far. Is that still a trial to you?

Simple really ..... it is on trial until proper approval has been granted. Maybe you do not realise they are used presently under emergency rules because the trials have not been completed.
    Also, regarding the link you posted earlier showing the lack of data on whether the vaccines reduced transmission, I find it odd that you link a article from early December before the vaccines were rolled out and blissfully ignored all the data and scientists showing clear correlation between reduced transmission and the vaccine. One just needs to look at Israel an the UK to see this.

If as your username suggests, you were born in 1951, I'd suggest you make your mind up soon.

I posted no link from Dec! I quoted and commented on what someone else posted.

Whether I was born in 1951, 1921, 1991 or any other year, has no bearing on anything to do with this thread or anyone reading here.

Instead of making comment on my supposed age you might be best served to either comment on the content of what I posted and not what you think I might have posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

robindch wrote: »

FWIW, the family (and me) take guidelines seriously - eg, about a week after the first funeral, when the country was generally taking it quite easy, and one of my relly's immediate family had just come down with mild symptoms but not yet been tested, we dropped by for a coffee to celebrate a birthday, but me and my kid insisted on sitting outside, separated by about about four meters, and oriented so that the wind blew between us. We froze our nuts off for half an hour, but didn't catch anything and remain eternally glad that a) the relly told me before we arrived; b) neither he nor the missus minded sitting outside; c) nobody made an issue of anything

Is it considered to be taking guidelines seriously when you visit someone even though they have told you they have symptoms?

My mother 93 years old got two jabs,said her arm was not even sore, 0 side effects. All her friends were the same, maybe older people get less effected because of their systems or maybe they are tougher.

Older peoples immune systems are less active. Side effects are a function of the bodies own immune system. Its why older people are much more impacted by the virus to begin with. The virus has taken a bigger foothold before the immune system gets going. The good thing is that it appears the vaccine response is excellent all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yes, obviously I do know the difference between the two.

The vaccine does not provide immunity; it provides a reduction in the seriousness of the resultant disease/illness/Covid.
    I tend to believe that, as it is what the manufacturers claim to have proven for their products.

If you have something to contradict that I am willing to read it. It would be great if it were so.

That is close to the definition of immunity. Immunity to a disease is achieved through the presence of antibodies to that disease in a person's system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

My AZ experience from a while back:

I had my AZ vaccine at about 1pm. By 11 that night I felt pretty dire, woke up at 4.30am and had to change the bed linens because of the sweat, blazing fever (39.5), felt terrible. Took paracetamol later ibuprofen for the joint pain and by 5pm I felt 99% again. Following 24 hours were spent fairly tired and lethargic but probably comes down to the horrible sleep :) I'd do it all again 1000 times to be honest. The worst of it was the joint pains :pac:

90% of the people in my department were the same. A few people it did nothing to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cheers. I mean the more nebulous numbers of how many are officially left in each group.

Simple really ..... it is on trial until proper approval has been granted. Maybe you do not realise they are used presently under emergency rules because the trials have not been completed.

Whether I was born in 1951, 1921, 1991 or any other year, has no bearing on anything to do with this thread or anyone reading here.

Instead of making comment on my supposed age you might be best served to either comment on the content of what I posted and not what you think I might have posted.

Proper approval has been granted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Where has proper approval not been given?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

ddarcy wrote: »

Also realise this is the HSE we’re talking about trying to get this sorted. I’m sure plans and documents need to be created, signed and then make sure they were signed correctly and then handed off to a manager to read and sign and double check that was all done correctly...

In other words, proper protocols are followed and nobody can whistleblow that they weren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Incorrect, Vaccines in the EU have been approved under Conditional Marketing Approval with a full set of data provided for each vaccine, with the manufacturer of the vaccine also taking on full liability for the medicine that they are providing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I got the first dose of Pfizer, arm was sore-ish from about 6 hours afterwards for around 24-30 hours. Nothing too bad, just like someone had given me a dig in the arm or I'd bumped into something.

I know two people in the UK who had AZ, one took a day off work (was already wfh) but I think he was enjoying the excuse for a duvet day. The other said he was a bit tired but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Both parents got Pfizer and had no ill effects whatsoever.
    Heard that presenter one on Off The Ball say she was a bit tired after AZ. Bit shook, but was fine after that. Think she is a medical student.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

A neighbour said she registered yesterday for the vaccine (she may be 69) and got notification today for the vaccine in the Helix. Have they started calling people or might this be from her GP having perhaps put patients forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Valhallapt wrote: »
    The MVCs are only doing AZ at the moment, probably some complexity in running different booths for Pfizer, by all accounts the MVC are a well oiled machine, might be best not to risk making changes to it, just apply pressure on gps to get the finger out
    How is this "applying pressure" supposed to work? I call a GP, I'm told the hospital is looking after it. Hospital says "we are preparing a list", it's rather frustrating from a patient perspective. Even more so for >70s still waiting on a GP to do their job while 65-69 year olds can register by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How is this "applying pressure" supposed to work? I call a GP, I'm told the hospital is looking after it. Hospital says "we are preparing a list", it's rather frustrating from a patient perspective. Even more so for >70s still waiting on a GP to do their job while 65-69 year olds can register by themselves.
    The over 70 scenario is complicated by practice size, numbers of over 70s and primarily by supply of the mRNA vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    A neighbour said she registered yesterday for the vaccine (she may be 69) and got notification today for the vaccine in the Helix. Have they started calling people or might this be from her GP having perhaps put patients forward?

They are due to start tomorrow so she is lucky to be one of the first in her age group called. It sure how they are deciding the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 3mom4

Same here, GP says they aren't vaccinating cohort 4. End of story. No referral to a MVC, just nothing. If you have no consultant, you just don't get vaccinated. It should not be an opt-in programme!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement