Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

3mom4 wrote: »
    Same here, GP says they aren't vaccinating cohort 4. End of story. No referral to a MVC, just nothing. If you have no consultant, you just don't get vaccinated. It should not be an opt-in programme!

I think that it is absolutely fine for them to say they are not physically vaccinating cohort 4 or 7 at their practice, they've been put under a huge amount of pressure and many don't have the resources. But to refuse to create a list of referrals is extremely poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

is_that_so wrote: »
    The over 70 scenario is complicated by practice size, numbers of over 70s and primarily by supply of the mRNA vaccines.
    Something obvious is still being missed here. The AZ vaccine has been proven to be safe to administer to the elderly. Ample UK evidence suggests it's effective. Why not administer AZ vaccine for those still waiting for a first dose in the 70+ group if their GPs, possibly through incompetence, still haven't provided them with an appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 3mom4

nibtrix wrote: »
    I think that it is absolutely fine for them to say they are not physically vaccinating cohort 4 or 7 at their practice, they've been put under a huge amount of pressure and many don't have the resources. But to refuse to create a list of referrals is extremely poor!

Thanks, have just given up here. I ring and I am told they are not vaccinating and there is no referral list.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Something obvious is still being missed here. The AZ vaccine has been proven to be safe to administer to the elderly. Ample UK evidence suggests it's effective. Why not administer AZ vaccine for those still waiting for a first dose in the 70+ group if their GPs, possibly through incompetence, still haven't provided them with an appointment?
    NIAC are the ones making the calls here on vaccines and many GPs genuinely don't know until the HSE tell them they have supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

JPup wrote: »
    They are due to start tomorrow so she is lucky to be one of the first in her age group called. It sure how they are deciding the order.

Thank you. Have a relative 69 who is booked in and waiting. No bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

ddarcy wrote: »
    Officially Pfizer and Moderna say a max of 7 weeks between doses. I can see it extended but really only to 6 weeks. If they go further than that than you may have legal issues (given the Irish love of lawsuits, I don’t think the HSE/NIAC will go beyond that, someone with no legal experience would be able to win a substantial award...)

I'd hope that they push it out as far as medico-legally aceptable. So, 7 weeks would mean an additional 75% of Pfizer/Moderna shots becoming available on a short-term basis, with increased deliveries being able to backfill the delayed 2nd doses...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

astrofool wrote: »
    Incorrect, Vaccines in the EU have been approved under Conditional Marketing Approval with a full set of data provided for each vaccine, with the manufacturer of the vaccine also taking on full liability for the medicine that they are providing.

Is this then incorrect?
    Ireland, as an EU member state, indemnified Covid-19 vaccine manufacturers as part of the advanced purchase agreements. This was necessary in order to obtain access to the vaccines. The result is that the State, rather than the manufacturer, is liable for the cost of redressing injuries caused by these vaccinations.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/who-pays-if-you-suffer-side-effects-from-covid-19-vaccine-1.4540757?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

showpony1 wrote: »
    how common are the side effects of the vaccine i.e. 2 days of fatigue/nausea?
    i feel like everyone i hear of who has got it saying they are wrecked for 2/3 days after but not sure if they are just soft/complainers?
    are the vast majority fine with no side effects after vaccine?

I had my first AZ four weeks ago. The following day I felt tired and “off form” plus some aches in arm and hand joints. I was lucky enough to be able to take it easy that day and was back to 100% good health the next day.
    I will happily trade one day of not feeling great for the possible serious side effects of a Covid infection.
    My healthy daughter (late 30s no underlying conditions) was dreadfully sick with Covid and months later had a worrying resurgence of symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JPup wrote: »
    They are due to start tomorrow so she is lucky to be one of the first in her age group called. It sure how they are deciding the order.
    They probably won't publish the full nature of how they allocate slots, but I expect a certain % of slots are kept open every day for late registers and to ensure older people take priority. So if they're doing (say) 67 year olds next Monday, a 65 year old who registers will be allocated an appointment a few days out, but a 69 year old will effectively jump the queue and get an appointment the next day.

The free slots on any given day might be filled up using the oldest individuals who haven't been allocated an appointment yet. Which means that we might see some odd scenarios where someone who registered last week gets a slot next week, but someone who registers today gets a slot on Wednesday (but notified late on Tuesday).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Does anyone know if the proportion of cases by age has been changing? As in, are the cases in the U45s going up/down since January?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not sure if it has been mentioned here but Paul Reid says the portal for 60 to 64 year olds could be opened as soon as later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Qrt wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the proportion of cases by age has been changing? As in, are the cases in the U45s going up/down since January?

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1383830274073513989/photo/1

No point comparing numbers , its %tage compared to the rest of the population you have to look at , its clearly is changing for elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Qrt wrote: »

Week 1 of this year, 62% of cases were in u45's, that's now up to 75%.
    Week 1 of this year 4.6% of cases were aged 75+, that's now down to 2.3%, a 50% decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mentioned here but Paul Reid says the portal for 60 to 64 year olds could be opened as soon as later this week.
    So that looks like a drive towards getting all over 60s their first shot by early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I registered on Saturday . Just got an appointment for Thursday 22nd
    Delighted ! Its really moving now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    4 days from booking to jab is great going, good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

J&J expected to approved again by Friday in the States.

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1384096581125771265

showpony1 wrote: »
    how common are the side effects of the vaccine i.e. 2 days of fatigue/nausea?
    i feel like everyone i hear of who has got it saying they are wrecked for 2/3 days after but not sure if they are just soft/complainers?
    are the vast majority fine with no side effects after vaccine?

OH and I both got Pfizered at 3pm Saturday. By 5 I began to feels chills and feverish by 7. Steadily became more fluey during the evening. Wasted like from a flu on Sunday, with pains and aches, headaches, feeling generally Bleh!. Awoke today (Monday) at 7 in a lather of sweat and went back to sleep until 12 when I awoke in a puddle. At my worst until around 4 when there was a huge improvement! Feeling good now at almost 7 pm after a big dinner!

OH felt absolutely no different, and really didn't do sympathy much! I think I heard the word "Pussy" mentioned a time or two....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Delighted for you.

Registered my father today so hopefully hear in the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    OH felt absolutely no different, and really didn't do sympathy much! I think I heard the word "Pussy" mentioned a time or two....

Got this word mentioned a few times in our work group chat after the vaccine. Most of them text the following evening complaining how **** they felt :pac::pac::pac:

Along with a few posts of
    vxAiXZY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morebarn

I’m aged 69 and registered on Thursday morning.

Just got appointment for Thursday 22nd also.

Delighted for you.

Registered my father today so hopefully hear in the next few days

My 66 y.o. Type 2 diabetic buddy registered today (Monday) @ 11 a.m.

Got message just after 6 with appt for Thursday @ 3.

He's in Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

EzWx2w5VUAEdFk1?format=jpg&name=900x900
    EzWx2w3UYAgzCQN?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

My 66 y.o. Type 2 diabetic buddy registered today (Monday) @ 11 a.m.

Got message just after 6 with appt for Thursday @ 3.

He's in Midlands.

That's amazingly fast and great.

My father registered today so fingers crossed he gets his date quickly to. Exciting times

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

EzWx2w5VUAEdFk1?format=jpg&name=900x900
    EzWx2w3UYAgzCQN?format=jpg&name=900x900

Thats almost 1.5 million people, nearly half the adult population?

Have I got the sums right?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

LOL @ "frontline healthcare workers". Yeah, and the rest!

edit: sorry, that's very cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

is_that_so wrote: »
    So that looks like a drive towards getting all over 60s their first shot by early May.

They'd really need to do this given that there are 5 times as many still needing to be done by the end of June if the 80% is to be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

OH and I both got Pfizered at 3pm Saturday. By 5 I began to feels chills and feverish by 7. Steadily became more fluey during the evening. Wasted like from a flu on Sunday, with pains and aches, headaches, feeling generally Bleh!. Awoke today (Monday) at 7 in a lather of sweat and went back to sleep until 12 when I awoke in a puddle. At my worst until around 4 when there was a huge improvement! Feeling good now at almost 7 pm after a big dinner!

Have you had covid and they didn't?

Most people get a nasty reaction on the 2nd dose of Pfizer unless they had Covid, then the reaction is to dose 1. You may get your "told you so' in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

For those in cohort 4, I got a call today for an appointment for 30 April. Moderna vaccine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement