Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wolf359f wrote: »
    They could maybe space the appointments out throughout the week.
    Citywest this morning had a queue of people snaking around the carpark with well over 1hr wait to get into the building (not sure of the queue inside) So having 65-69 year olds waiting out standing for that length of time is not acceptable. With Irish weather you would need an umbrella and suncream! This was at 9:30 this morning, so I'd hate to see the wait time at the end of the day!

I am one due a vaccine this week in City West . I genuinely am not remotely worried that I have to queue or wait . I will have what I need and a rain jacket etc
    Being honest I am so happy to get it I would queue for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Citywest this morning had a queue of people snaking around the carpark with well over 1hr wait to get into the building (not sure of the queue inside) So having 65-69 year olds waiting out standing for that length of time is not acceptable. With Irish weather you would need an umbrella and suncream! This was at 9:30 this morning, so I'd hate to see the wait time at the end of the day!

I would be willing to bet this is because people with an appointment for 10.30 turned up at 09.30 and started queueing thinking they didn't have to wait until their allotted time.

I have heard of this happening in GP surgeries too. People need to realise that your slot is your slot and an earlier appointment isn't possible just because you got there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

I would be willing to bet this is because people with an appointment for 10.30 turned up at 09.30 and started queueing thinking they didn't have to wait until their allotted time.

I have heard of this happening in GP surgeries too. People need to realise that your slot is your slot and an earlier appointment isn't possible just because you got there early.

Its probably affects peoples allocated times as well if they are arriving 10 minutes before their time and there is a queue of 20 or 30 ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The text tells you to arrive not more than 5 minutes before your appointment. Some people will be worried about finding the place etc. I'm up there late afternoon so it'll be interesting to see how the queue is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Any idea why it’s delayed

No idea, just seen a post on Facebook from Edward Timmons, County Councillor, last night and I quote

"Progress on Vaccination Rollout
    The Vaccination centre at Punchestown covering West Wicklow will open for Vaccinations on Wednesday April 28.
    Most people accessing the online portal based on Age will be vaccinated there.
    People will be sent to the nearest location based on Eircode. City West Vaccination centre also covers this area."

I thought at first it was to do with the Punchestown Race Festival but that's due to kick off on 27th April and both are going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

This is a good point.
    Many people don't seem to realise that not everyone drives or have a car that they can wait in, or are able to stand for an hour outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Sharon_B wrote: »
    My mother got her 2nd jab in Punchestown centre 2 weeks ago.

Yeah I think I seen somewhere that Punchestown closed for two weeks, I'll try root it out. So perhaps they were preparing for the ramp up and also the Race Festival starting on the 27th, so that would make sense.

Edit: I found the original notice and I'm wrong it's just the race course is closed to the public from 23rd Apr to 3rd May (for walkers etc) because of the festival.

Probably closed the vaccination section just to prepare for the bigger numbers that will be attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

vienne86 wrote: »
    The text tells you to arrive not more than 5 minutes before your appointment. Some people will be worried about finding the place etc. I'm up there late afternoon so it'll be interesting to see how the queue is then.

Yes I get that but I would be willing to bet that it is unmissable. If people get there 1hr early, then sit in the car - don't f up the queueing system or expect to be accommodated just because you got there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Level 42 wrote: »
    buddys going out with non english speaking person getting vaccine shortly is there any assistance offered to non english speaking residents of ireland or can he go in with her

cheers

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/getting-your-vaccine/going-to-a-vaccination-centre.html

If you need help

If you have mobility issues or need help, you can bring a family member or friend into the vaccination centre with you. You should both wear face coverings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“”The European Union will have enough Covid-19 vaccine doses to cover 70% of its adult population by mid-July due to higher production within the bloc, a senior official said today.

Fifty-three factories are producing vaccines in the EU. Our continent is now the largest producer in the world after the United States," internal markets commissioner Thierry Breton told French daily Le Figaro in an interview.

"I am now certain of how many doses are currently in production and I know how many millions will be delivered each week," he said.

This allows me to assure you that we well have by mid-July the number of doses necessary for vaccinating 70% of the European Union's adult population," he said, citing the threshold many health experts say is necessary to achieve "herd immunity." “”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

majo wrote: »
    If you are in 60-69 age category I think you need to register on the portal and you will be assigned to your nearest vaccination Centre. But double check with your consultant or GP if you like.

No I’m younger than that. I realize I’ll be waiting a while longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Yes. I've seen this happen at a GP clinic that was working well. People who came early then complained there wasn't a waiting area for them. There was - but only for those scheduled for the next slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

vienne86 wrote: »

Keep up update with the queue!
    They should have Stewarts walking the queue asking people for an appointment at x time to stand out of line and go to the head of the queue.
    It's it's people arriving early causing the delay and as a result everyone in line gets delayed, it's unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 princereingold

is this a vaccine as per the legal and medical definitions?

or is it unapproved experimental gene therapy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They should have Stewarts walking the queue asking people for an appointment at x time to stand out of line and go to the head of the queue.
    200px-Alf_Stewart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

oh for f*ck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Almost a year since yer last post, and THIS is the best you can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

What an idiot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    A neighbour said she registered yesterday for the vaccine (she may be 69) and got notification today for the vaccine in the Helix. Have they started calling people or might this be from her GP having perhaps put patients forward?
    I registered last Thursday - 69- and got called today for vaccination tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Its a 5g hotspot. Looking forward to getting mine and boosting my connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

It's part of the National Broadband Rollout Plan afaik, quicker to make everyone a hotspot than to be hooking up wires! :pac:

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m in group 7 and my consultant is in Dublin but I don’t live in Dublin.
    Would I get the vaccine near where I live or near the hospital that registered me?

Group 7 is meant to be GP led so should be given by them.

I'd just make sure with your GP that they have you in their group 7 list, your consultant should send a letter to your GP after a visit with them and if you are on a high tech script there should be a copy for your GP records so make sure they've made a note of it if that's the reason for being in group 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

What is the legal definition of a vaccine?

What do you take the term "experimental gene therapy" to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Russman

celt262 wrote: »
    Its probably affects peoples allocated times as well if they are arriving 10 minutes before their time and there is a queue of 20 or 30 ahead of them.

I'm due up there with my mother this afternoon, no idea now if I should factor in some waiting time or just arrive at the recommended 5 mins before !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Thank god the vaccine provides 5G coverage, internet is shocking here

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

The whole argument about the vaccines being "experimental" is ridiculous. EVERY drug is experimental until it's not. The mRNA vaccines were experimental and the trials etc. showed that they are safe and effective meaning they are no longer experimental. Panadol was an "experimental" drug at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yes.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Took a whole year for this post to go through?

If anyone needs this 5G vaccine it's you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

For anyone who is following or recognises my rantings -

The GP finally rang today. Both are scheduled for Tuesday 20th for their first dose, at long last (ages 73 and 74).

But with a major caveat.

The GP are consistently getting less doses than expected. They vaccinated yesterday (Tue 6th) and got 70 less than they had anticipated, so had to bump 70 patients by two weeks to the 20th. They said there is a reasonable chance my folks will be bumped a further two weeks to May 4th - as they only get a delivery every two weeks.

They're happier now, but worried they'll be pushed out. Hopefully the 20th will happen, but even the 20th is taking the piss a little when it comes to "All over 70s will be offered a dose by mid April" and if they get pushed to the 4th May it'll be a right mockery of the whole thing. Fingers crossed though.

Some good news for those who remember my rantings... both 73 and 74 year old parents got their first Pfizer doses this morning. I'm very glad of that, not just for the obvious reasons but they promised to start WW3 if things didn't go well this morning!

So thats a bit of a relief. I've made them put Dose 2 on the calendar and also Day 10, when some protection seems to kick in from the various Pfizer papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement