Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

corkonion wrote: »
    There wouldn’t be any prioritisation, just giving a different brand to one group.

Exactly. It wouldn't mean that men are vaccinated more quickly, just that Pfizer would balance the difference. The data seems to back this approach up, but there's been no talk that I've heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,996 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bulk of J&J delivery will probably arrive late June so if anything, the J&J targeted group would probably be vaccinated later. I really hope there's some pragmatism, just need to find 600k to give it to which could be 50-60 age group for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Can someone familiar with Aviva tell me how to get into carpark? is it off Shelbourne Road? are there bicycle racks? Not happy reading about big numbers in CityWest today and trying to get two people into Aviva for appointments tomorrow, one might bike it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Turtwig wrote: »
    There has been nothing yet to suggest any group or gender is at greater risk to either J and J or AZ.
    The data isn't great either way, other than the reported clots in the US (only six of them so far) were all women. It's so few cases to work with though that it's hard to draw any proper conclusion yet even if there appears to be a general trend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Stark wrote: »
    Bulk of J&J delivery will probably arrive late June so if anything, the J&J targeted group would probably be vaccinated later. I really hope there's some pragmatism, just need to find 600k to give it to which could be 50-60 age group for example.

Do we know how much J&J is already here, I know Paul Reid said it as in quarantine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't bother with the carpark tbh, I'd park in an estate nearby and walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Turtwig wrote: »
    There has been nothing yet to suggest any group or gender is at greater risk to either J and J or AZ.

Should both be sidelined IMHO and wait for supplies of MRNA vaccines. Summers coming in, cases falling - why rush? It's not as if anyone is going to be heading off on cheap RuinAir flights this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pc7 wrote: »
    Do we know how much J&J is already here, I know Paul Reid said it as in quarantine :pac:

14,400 doses.

Source: https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Furze99 wrote: »
    Should both be sidelined IMHO and wait for supplies of MRNA vaccines. Summers coming in, cases falling - why rush? It's not as if anyone is going to be heading off on cheap RuinAir flights this year..

Sure, it's only a deadly pandemic that has put hundreds of thousands of people out of work in this country.

This is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

ixoy wrote: »
    The data isn't great either way, other than the reported clots in the US (only six of them so far) were all women. It's so few cases to work with though that it's hard to draw any proper conclusion yet even if there appears to be a general trend.

The vast majority of these clots do seem to be happening in women. I think part of the problem with the European AZ cases was that more women then men received the vaccine (health care workers) so they couldn't say with certainty women were statistically more at risk. With the UK still vaccinating all over 30s with AZ, there should be more evidence available soon. It would be great if at risk groups could be identified with greater certainty. It will be interesting to see what the FDA do with j&j

• Advertisement

Is there a certain order for the gps to prioritise cohort 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Happy birthday Sanjuro!

Hahahaha! Fair dues! Thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

EMA’s safety committee (#PRAC) recommends adding ‘very rare cases of unusual blood clots with low blood platelets’ to the list of side effects for Janssen #vaccine.

Overall benefit-risk remains positive

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    EMA’s safety committee (#PRAC) recommends adding ‘very rare cases of unusual blood clots with low blood platelets’ to the list of side effects for Janssen #vaccine.

Overall benefit-risk remains positive

Link to EMA press release:

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/covid-19-vaccine-janssen-ema-finds-possible-link-very-rare-cases-unusual-blood-clots-low-blood

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pretty much as expected, EMA reach same conclusion as they did with AZ

https://twitter.com/EMA_News/status/1384510725268385794?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

So, now what ?
    Will Ireland restrict usage ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    So, now what ?

Up to NIAC what they want to do with the EMA recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

SusanC10 wrote: »
    So, now what ?

Will probably recommend it for over 60's same as AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surely this must mean AZ and J&J should just be listed as having rare side effects and put back into rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I guess our boyos, will wait until the other countries make their moves and then go with the one of the more conservative options, but not the most extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Will probably recommend it for over 60's same as AZ.

incidence levels are 1/10th of AZ levels, it is not a given that the restrictions should be the same.

No new clotting cases reported to FDa & CDC since last week

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1384514539224510471?s=19

pgj2015 wrote: »

"neither have symptoms of any sort,”

Vaccines doing what vaccines do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If they recommend it for over 60s its borderline useless for our rollout. Even moving it to over 50s would make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

You would hope they would have different recommendations for J&J

We don't have another one shot vaccine

We need the 600,000 doses to turn into 600,000 fully vaccinated people

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

pgj2015 wrote: »

This shouldn't be news. Of course there's going to be some instances of vaccinated people testing positive, it's not 100% effective.

All stories like this achieve is damage to the vaccine programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Knex* wrote: »
    Another 5-6 weeks to give everyone over 60 one dose?

I naively thought we'd ramp up to get it done a little quicker than that. Have you average daily totals that you're using to estimate that?

Just looking at it myself now. There's 417k in this cohort, 6 weeks is 42 days. That's an average of around 9k a day, not even accounting for those already jabbed.

I'd be hoping to half that time, even accounting for 2nd doses of previous cohorts. Am I way off?

It will take 6 weeks for that amount of AZ to arrive, more or less.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    You would hope they would have different recommendations for J&J

We don't have another one shot vaccine

We need the 600,000 doses to turn into 600,000 fully vaccinated people

Well when they took the decision with AZ it was on the basis of having 3 other vaccines so it's a slightly different context when looking at J&J now.

I'd say they might put an age limit but not as extreme as 60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Any ideas how quickly there will be a decision on this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement