Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Great news. The “one shot” jab will be a real boon in vaccinating, the more, vulnerable groups.

I'd imagine it will speed things up for everyone. Half the quantity, half the time, get that needle in my arm quick sharp Mr Johnson...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

RTE news : EMA: Benefits of J&J Covid-19 vaccine outweigh risks

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0420/1211016-johnson-johnson/

This is excellent news

Fantastic news as the saying goes "Lob it into me boss" so that I can get on with living now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fitz* wrote: »

I know, 141000 in a week without AZ. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Into ireland or into arms?

Into country.

HSE saying,
    The aim for this week is 140-160,000; next week, the team is working through the figures. The aim is to increase, but a shortfall from AZ and extra Pfizer is currently being examined

Lumen wrote: »
    The prospect of giving vaccines to children is terrifying. This idea will never catch on.

Inclined to believe its tongue it cheek, but undoubtedly there are some who hold this view

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/pcischedule/immschedule/
    Age to Vaccinate

Type of Vaccination

At Birth

BCG/Tuberculosis Vaccine (given in maternity hospitals or HSE clinic)

Click here for more information

At 2 Months (518KB)

Free from your GP

6 in 1 Vaccine (Diphtheria Tetanus Whooping Cough (Pertussis) Hib (Haemophilus influenzae b) Polio (Inactivated poliomyelitis) Hepatitis B)

PCV (Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine)

MenB Vaccine (Meningococcal B Vaccine)

Rotavirus oral vaccine

At 4 Months (546KB)

Free from your GP

6 in 1 Vaccine (Diphtheria Tetanus Whooping Cough (Pertussis) Hib (Haemophilus influenzae typeb) Polio (Inactivated poliomyelitis) Hepatitis B)

Rotavirus oral vaccine

At 6 Months (524KB)

Free from your GP

6 in 1 Vaccine (Diphtheria Tetanus Whooping Cough (Pertussis) Hib (Haemophilus influenzae b) Polio (Inactivated poliomyelitis) Hepatitis B)

MenC Vaccine (Meningococcal C Vaccine)

At 12 Months (476KB)

Free from your GP

MMR (Measles Mumps Rubella)

At 13 Months (551KB)

Free from your GP

Hib/MenC (Haemophilus influenzae b and Meningococcal C combined vaccine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Don't forget the chicken pox vaccine is also available. Safe and very effective. Children do not need to get sick with chicken pox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

rusty cole wrote: »
    so you want to do what with the newspapers? so certain cohorts wont say what you think certain cohorts will say...

yes they have tested positive, Yes if the producers are to be believed, they have a 90 something chance of not getting sick or being hospitalized...However, they can carry and spread it but who cares as we head towards herd immunity it will be like carrying the cold sore virus but never having any cold sores

I realise that, you realise that....a lot of people on this thread realise that. I'm just saying it's yet another headline that might be used to persuade folk that don't know that to not take the vaccine (if that makes sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

NIAC to "examine" J&J in the "next few days" and it is "awaiting more information" ...

https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1384525710069571585

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JTMan wrote: »
    NIAC to "examine" J&J in "coming days" and it is "awaiting more information" ...

https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1384525710069571585

It literally came in as she was talking to the committee.

She wasn't going to say anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

J&J vaccine given to 7 million people in the US, and 1 death from rare blood clots. Even rarer than AZ.

Let's hope sense prevails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

hmmm wrote: »
    J&J vaccine given to 7 million people in the US, and 1 death from rare blood clots. Even rarer than AZ.

Let's hope sense prevails.

Detected so far. Remember when posters here were saying the UK hadn't this issue?

It's highly likely the true incidence rate has not been detected yet. We don't know how either vaccine compares yet. Likely won't for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

VG31 wrote:
    I'd question whether if you're vaccinated and test positive with no symptoms it should even be recorded as a case.

Most relevant would be to try establish, if possible, what the likelihood is of transmission in this event.

You can test positive but the viral load might be too small to spread. It must be possible to validate this in a similar method to capturing alcohol breath specimens.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Detected so far. Remember when posters here were saying the UK hadn't this issue?

It's highly likely the true incidence rate has not been detected yet. We don't know how either vaccine compares yet. Likely won't for some time.

The UK missed it because their systems were catching up with the post brexit changes to their monitoring systems. They found it once aware of it. It was identified quickly in the US because of the European experience with AZ. No new cases have emerged since the pause. All cases so far have emerged within 2 weeks of vaccination. If there actual rate was significantly higher than that observed we would know about it by now

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

I called the HSE help line to enquire are the 65 to 69 cohort vaccinated according to area as all i am seeing on this thread is mainly Dublin and Cork.I am 69 and registered last Thursday, the lady on the help line told me no it was not according to location, but then to my surprise she said not by descending age either.Registration was age based but seemingly 65 or 66 age group are as likely to be vaccinated before a 68 or 69 year old.

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I realise that, you realise that....a lot of people on this thread realise that. I'm just saying it's yet another headline that might be used to persuade folk that don't know that to not take the vaccine (if that makes sense).

you keep saying "Cohorts" and "folk", like whom?? the uninitiated to Boards.
    People are capable of making their own minds up and if not then so be it it doesn't mean you should hope for cheery picked articles which favour all Vaccines are great viewpoints.

I'm sure the "FOLK" in the Tuskegee syphilis trials would have liked the odd heads up no?

The UK missed it because their systems were catching up with the post brexit changes to their monitoring systems. They found it once aware of it. It was identified quickly in the US because of the European experience with AZ. No new cases have emerged since the pause. All cases so far have emerged within 2 weeks of vaccination. If there actual rate was significantly higher than that observed we would know about it by now

Brexit impacted the UK's access to Europe cases. They had plenty on their own soil that they simply didn't recognise despite being reported.

Cases typically occur within two weeks after vaccination. It doesn't mean they are identified and reported then.

This is like assuming all covid deaths in Ireland are reported on time. There is a delay in the reporting period from when the adverse event occurs, is formally identified and reported. Many, especially, at the outset, will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Turtwig wrote: »

I've heard very little about new cases being identified in the US since their pause, which I think was a lot of the reason for the pause in the first place.

As this is a single dose vaccine it's automatically half the risk of AZ anyway.

While the mRNA vaccines are great, the long-term data from the adenovirus vaccines looks very impressive. It'd be a shame to put all our eggs in one technology basket.

I've heard very little about new cases being identified in the US since their pause, which I think was a lot of the reason for the pause in the first place.

You're assuming the risk is dose dependent. We don't know that yet. Could just be an immune reaction that is inevitable for some recipients after the first dose. Risk could be equal among the vaccines. Or it might not be. If it was different that might actually help in identifying the cause of the event.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Werent all the clots with AZ after the 1st dose and not the second - if so its the same risk really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

rusty cole wrote: »
    you keep saying "Cohorts" and "folk", like whom?? the uninitiated to Boards.
    People are capable of making their own minds up and if not then so be it it doesn't mean you should hope for cheery picked articles which favour all Vaccines are great viewpoints.

I'm sure the "FOLK" in the Tuskegee syphilis trials would have liked the odd heads up no?

Just said the headline annoyed me, merely my opinion. Won't engage with you anymore as you seem hell bent on an argument (and I can't be arsed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

acer911 wrote: »
    Does seem like it, although the report says last refresh at 03.00, whereas the older reports have last refresh around 08.00 so unless the detail is only partially updated?

If you add up the numbers in the 5 cohorts they don’t tally with the total, there is something wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

From what I've read, all the clots related to/not related to J&J were in women under the age of 50.

So if they make the cut off age 50 that would go a long way towards getting people vaccinated. AZ for over 60s. J&J for over 50s. Pfizer/BioNtech for all ages.

While the mRNA vaccines are great, the long-term data from the adenovirus vaccines looks very impressive. It'd be a shame to put all our eggs in one technology basket.

Agreed. Even if there was no pandemic these vaccines still have a role to play. I'm confident the risk groups for these adverse events and their cause will be identified. If the cause isn't identified we risk something similar occurring again in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If you add up the numbers in the 5 cohorts they don’t tally with the total, there is something wrong with it.

The breakdown of cohorts is too long and has to be scrolled down. They have started assigning doses to cohort 7, that's the one that's not visible and causing the difference in the totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    The breakdown of cohorts is too long and has to be scrolled down. They have started assigning doses to cohort 7, that's the one that's not visible and causing the difference in the totals.

These are the numbers I got from geohive:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cUZy6AMCwuA2zhtRuKK7cqMVgmhdDsGsZrFWJTkw9DY/edit#gid=502588836

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see the north will be open for 35 to 39 yr old before end of April.

They are motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The European Medicines Agency has said the benefits of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine outweigh the risks.

The National Immunisation Advisory Committee will examine the findings "over the next day or so", according to its chairperson, Prof Karina Butler.

Johnson & Johnson said it was ready to resume rolling out the vaccine in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lukas8888 wrote: »
    I called the HSE help line to enquire are the 65 to 69 cohort vaccinated according to area as all i am seeing on this thread is mainly Dublin and Cork.I am 69 and registered last Thursday, the lady on the help line told me no it was not according to location, but then to my surprise she said not by descending age either.Registration was age based but seemingly 65 or 66 age group are as likely to be vaccinated before a 68 or 69 year old.

I think it does depend on your area and the capacity in the centre
    I and three friends are already given dates in City west we are Age 68 , 67 And two 66
    Three other friends on the north side ( so Helix or Croke Park ) have no dates yet
    Age 68 and 67 .
    So basically the south siders age 66 snd 67 will be done sooner that north siders age 68

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

irishlad. wrote: »

Yeah that's certainly different than the HSE hub, but as noted it was updated at 3am and not 8am.
    Cohort 7 has been added on the hub, you'll have to update the Google sheets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'd imagine it will speed things up for everyone. Half the quantity, half the time, get that needle in my arm quick sharp Mr Johnson...

Not to mention the fact that there's two Mr. Johnsons, which will speed things up even more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement