Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Turtwig wrote: »
    Detected so far. Remember when posters here were saying the UK hadn't this issue?

It's highly likely the true incidence rate has not been detected yet. We don't know how either vaccine compares yet. Likely won't for some time.

Clots associated to Covid-19 are far far higher than any vaccine currently on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

I've got a yellow bottle in the bathroom for years and been waiting to wash my hair with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Don't worry there is a veritable army of little Chinese scientists under the command of the Chinese Communist Party in an underground lab coming up with a new variant to make this vaccine redundant very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Prof. Karina Butler's comments on J & J. Says NIAC will be examining the findings in 'the next day or so'.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1384543023749545986

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think it does depend on your area and the capacity in the centre
    I and three friends are already given dates in City west we are Age 68 , 67 And two 66
    Three other friends on the north side ( so Helix or Croke Park ) have no dates yet
    Age 68 and 67 .
    So basically the south siders age 66 snd 67 will be done sooner that north siders age 68
    Thank you,will obviously wait until i'm called but was it not meant to be descending age rather than five years all together and picked by lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was already approved, just suspended while the blood clots were investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Shot Plot Update as Sundays was just posted

New weekly total high 144793 shots in arms, previous high 129546 week ending 4/4/21

16OxYrK.png

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Care to add some commentary rather than simply dumping a link?

The question is rhetorical BTW. Don't just provide links without any context

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Werent all the clots with AZ after the 1st dose and not the second - if so its the same risk really.

There are very few second doses administered by AZ. So we still don’t know the implications yet with clotting. NIAC is probably hoping to get into on this before the second doses start go out en masse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My sister only wants Mr Pfizer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Russman

Just thought I’d update on the Citywest vaccination centre. Seems really well run and organised. My mother was in and back out to the car within about 50 mins total. I do think we got lucky and caught a bit of a window, as when we were leaving the queue was back out to the car park. From what the registration people told her, as was mentioned earlier, it’s people turning up an hour before time mixing in with people turning up 5 mins before their appointment.
    Anyway she’s done now, delighted !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Thank you,will obviously wait until i'm called but was it not meant to be descending age rather than five years all together and picked by lottery.

In fairness I dont think its a lottery but rather to do with capacity in your local MVC . For City west for example my group of friends got texts and dates in order of age .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Werent all the clots with AZ after the 1st dose and not the second - if so its the same risk really.

At a frequency 10 times higher, so I'd say ten times the risk for AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see the north will be open for 35 to 39 yr old before end of April.

They are motoring.

It actually opened yesterday...my 35 year old sister and 2 of her friends went on and registered in the morning and were vaccinated in the sse arena before 8pm last night

Million to one risk of getting a blood clot.....if they vaccinated entire country,we wouldnt fill an vw golf

Get on with giving it to people ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Don't worry there is a veritable army of little Chinese scientists under the command of the Chinese Communist Party in an underground lab coming up with a new variant to make this vaccine redundant very quickly.

I heard they started making the vaccine microchips in the same factory, saves extra cash for Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The HSE referenced earlier that AZ had changed their delviery for this week in the last 48hrs.

They've gone from 45k to 9k.

A further scheduled delivery of 165,000 Astra Zeneca doses on April 30th has been delayed until May 3rd.

To be honest we're lucky in the sense that we've a decent enough stockpile of it given the stopages and now it's limited use so shouldn't have too much of an impact.

Goes to show you can't rely on them. Will also probably feed into the NIAC decision on J&J

• Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Great news. The “one shot” jab will be a real boon in vaccinating, the more, vulnerable groups.

The J&J jab, one shot, 78% effective.

Pfizer and Moderna MRNA vaccines, 90%+ effective, yet 80% effective after ONE dose.

Lets get as many people as possible ONE dose of any of these three fantastic medicines and stamp on the last refuges of this virus on this island, then lets get our domestic economy up and running again.

Travel will probably have to be sacrificed for another couple of years until the global presence of the virus has dwindled, and thats tough, but that doesn't mean we should not get back fully enjoy living and working in one of the great countries of the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The J&J jab, one shot, 78% effective.

Pfizer and Moderna MRNA vaccines, 90%+ effective, yet 80% effective after ONE dose.

Lets get as many people as possible ONE dose of any of these three fantastic medicines and stamp on the last refuges of this virus on this island, then lets get our domestic economy up and running again.

Travel will probably have to be sacrificed for another couple of years until the global presence of the virus has dwindled, and thats tough, but that doesn't mean we should not get back fully enjoy living and working in one of the great countries of the World.

The second jab is for increased efficacy and longevity. The dosage of J&J is such that a second jab isn't needed, but the same can't be done for the existing vaccine without new trials and changing of the dosages.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My sister only wants Mr Pfizer!

That's fairly common in my experience. My mother is 59 and she'd know lots of people in their 60's and there all dreading getting the Astra Vaccine.
    One lady is even trying to fake an illness to get out of being pushed into getting it by people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

it prob will alright

If NIAC recommend J&J for only 60-69 as well that's 2 out of 4 vaccines that are useless for the general population outside that very limited group

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

hmmm wrote: »
    J&J vaccine given to 7 million people in the US, and 1 death from rare blood clots. Even rarer than AZ.

Let's hope sense prevails.

8 cases , waiting for 2 more weeks for any cases to present before they know full extent .
    But yes , so far , over 6 times rarer than AZ .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The HSE referenced earlier that AZ had changed their delviery for this week in the last 48hrs.

They've gone from 45k to 9k.

A further scheduled delivery of 165,000 Astra Zeneca doses on April 30th has been delayed until May 3rd.

To be honest we're lucky in the sense that we've a decent enough stockpile of it given the stopages and now it's limited use so shouldn't have too much of an impact.

Goes to show you can't rely on them. Will also probably feed into the NIAC decision on J&J

Was there a reason provided or the general something something supply shortages, eu factories, something something?

Most relevant would be to try establish, if possible, what the likelihood is of transmission in this event.

You can test positive but the viral load might be too small to spread. It must be possible to validate this in a similar method to capturing alcohol breath specimens.

I suppose the most important consideration would be whether every patient they have had contact with is vaccinated and still well.

Important to consider as older people's immunity may not be as strong that this us why everybody needs to be vaccinated as well as taking precautions in care of the elderly .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there any reason to believe they will be rational and not issue the same advice as AZ?

Turtwig wrote: »
    You're assuming the risk is dose dependent. We don't know that yet. Could just be an immune reaction that is inevitable for some recipients after the first dose. Risk could be equal among the vaccines. Or it might not be. If it was different that might actually help in identifying the cause of the event.

Good point .
    EMA have stated small numbers related to Pfizer and Moderna vaccines also with Thrombosis and thrombocytopenia.
    The numbers are tiny in comparison to the vast numbers vaccinated and are below what would be possible considered ' normal' in the population, but still noteworthy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0420/1211059-niac-dose-intervals/

Given what we already know that Pfizer have said they're in a position to deliver over expectations, I would be inclined to hope then that they won't space out the doses. This is the first time I've seen "main stream media" report on the fact that this spacing out of doses can have detrimental effects on variant emergence, a conversation that's been had in academia since the inception of the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Miike wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0420/1211059-niac-dose-intervals/

This is the first time I've seen "main stream media" report on the fact that this spacing out of doses can have detrimental effects on variant emergence

No surprise which media outlet was the first to report on it anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

astrofool wrote: »
    The second jab is for increased efficacy and longevity. The dosage of J&J is such that a second jab isn't needed, but the same can't be done for the existing vaccine without new trials and changing of the dosages.

Is that actually true? I didn't think one dose of J&J provides any longer cover than one dose of the other 3 that have been approved. Just that J&J ran a trial based on a single dose that got approval. Pfizer could have done the same say.

The likelihood is that anyone getting the J&J vaccine will need a booster shot later on.

That's my reading of it anyway. Open to correction.

• Advertisement

No surprise which media outlet was the first to report on it anyway :rolleyes:

It's a wider conversation that needs to be had. Whether you like RTE or think RTE is the virus is beside the point to me. From medium-long term public health standpoint it's a conversation that holds significant importance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement