Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there any reason to believe they will be rational and not issue the same advice as AZ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The Netherlands are injecting J&J from tomorrow according to rte.ie - and no reference to any age limitations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The HSE referenced earlier that AZ had changed their delviery for this week in the last 48hrs.

They've gone from 45k to 9k.

A further scheduled delivery of 165,000 Astra Zeneca doses on April 30th has been delayed until May 3rd.

To be honest we're lucky in the sense that we've a decent enough stockpile of it given the stopages and now it's limited use so shouldn't have too much of an impact.

Goes to show you can't rely on them. Will also probably feed into the NIAC decision on J&J

All the same AZ are still acting the maggot and this will likely stretch out the date for the 60-65 year cohort. Perhaps they will also use J&J for this lot, but there is not a huge amount of that around either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That's fairly common in my experience. My mother is 59 and she'd know lots of people in their 60's and there all dreading getting the Astra Vaccine.
    One lady is even trying to fake an illness to get out of being pushed into getting it by people.

I've two sisters. Neither want AZ due to history. There's a lot of AZ fear about. And it's feeding into an overall vaccine hysteria as far as I can see. We need better, simpler communications on the risk vs benefit, and not just a "Take AZ as soon as its offered, or you'll get nothing until everyone else is done" strategy for 60-69 y.o.s

A seriously thought-out communications strategy to re-vitalise AZ's image among this group is needed. It doesn't matter that they may be completely wrong; they're often operating off incomplete or mis- information.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,686 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Miike wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0420/1211059-niac-dose-intervals/

Given what we already know that Pfizer have said they're in a position to deliver over expectations, I would be inclined to hope then that they won't space out the doses. This is the first time I've seen "main stream media" report on the fact that this spacing out of doses can have detrimental effects on variant emergence, a conversation that's been had in academia since the inception of the idea.

'Could have' is not the same as 'can have' though?
    At the moment it is a theoretical concern. Not saying it is an invalid concern but there is a difference.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

It's a wider conversation that needs to be had. Whether you like RTE or think RTE is the virus is beside the point to me. From medium-long term public health standpoint it's a conversation that holds significant importance.

This has been the main worry as regards giving everybody some immunity with one jab , but not the best immunity as per clinical trials .
    It's not just a question of " getting it done " , but doing it properly .
    We are not in a panic mode....yet ..... as the UK were when they authorised extending the mRNA intervals between doses.
    Who knows what impact that will have on their ability to stop the more serious variants from causing serious disease inthe next while ?
    And as we are so close it makes sense to get it right so our little population doesn't have continuing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

odyssey06 wrote: »
    'Could have' is not the same as 'can have' though?
    At the moment it is a theoretical concern. Not saying it is an invalid concern but there is a difference.

It's a very valid theoretical concern though is my point. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post, sorry about that. I'm not trying to put fear or concern into any person. I'm interested in opening the discussion about the implications these theoretical concerns coming to the fore. You don't need a PhD in Molecular Biology to understand the implications of selective pressure. This is something that holds weight in the balance of getting things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

J&J are resuming deliveries to EU countries. Hopefully NIAC act quickly.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1384558793606971397

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JTMan wrote: »
    J&J are resuming deliveries to EU countries. Hopefully NIAC act quickly.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1384558793606971397

Won't make much difference for the next month or so anyway. The J&J deliveries are small until into May

Won't make much difference for the next month or so anyway. The J&J deliveries are small until into May

I would have thought we will still be getting and using them anyway , but maybe within certain age bands .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,478 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could the J&J end up going to the low risk groups ?

Thankfully im in the 34-25 year old gap which no underlying health condition and in no real rush getting jabbed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could the J&J end up going to the low risk groups ?

Thankfully im in the 34-25 year old gap which no underlying health condition and in no real rush getting jabbed

That's what I was thinking myself : it would be ideal for the under 35s, who already have a low risk of getting serious symptoms and who would be done and dusted after a single jab.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could the J&J end up going to the low risk groups ? Thankfully im in the 34-25 year old gap which no underlying health condition and in no real rush getting jabbed

I'm a little older than that but it's the one that I want.
    One jab, good protection, done and dusted for this phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

It's more like they will be used for age 50+ if there is an age restriction. It was women under 50 that had the issue with blood clots as far as I know. Certainly the first six cases were in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0420/1211059-niac-dose-intervals/

Given what we already know that Pfizer have said they're in a position to deliver over expectations, I would be inclined to hope then that they won't space out the doses. This is the first time I've seen "main stream media" report on the fact that this spacing out of doses can have detrimental effects on variant emergence, a conversation that's been had in academia since the inception of the idea.
    Cillian de Gascun said the same in an excellent interview with Claire Byrne this morning.

I'm a little older than that but it's the one that I want.
    One jab, good protection, done and dusted for this phase.

Especially for those who are thinking of vaccine certs or 'passports' etc....no having to wait around for three months to be declared fully vaccinated.

JPup wrote: »
    It's more like they will be used for age 50+ if there is an age restriction. It was women under 50 that had the issue with blood clots as far as I know. Certainly the first six cases were in that category.

I think you are right .
    Hiwever I think the "women" but has been discounted already has it not ?
    The vaccinated were mainly female so they cannot as yet say that gender played part .

It's a very valid theoretical concern though is my point. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post, sorry about that. I'm not trying to put fear or concern into any person. I'm interested in opening the discussion about the implications these theoretical concerns coming to the fore. You don't need a PhD in Molecular Biology to understand the implications of selective pressure. This is something that holds weight in the balance of getting things right.

The thing is if other countries, larger than us, start spacing out the doses... is there any point in us trying to toe the line due to this theoretical concern? Seems like worst of both worlds then.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I would have thought we will still be getting and using them anyway , but maybe within certain age bands .

Yeah but I mean when people say hope NIAC act quickly etc, there isn't that much pressure on them to act quick given the low volumes.

I hope they move quickly enough more I could see why there wouldn't be the pressure to make a quick decision

Only 9000 doses of AZ will be delivered to Ireland between now and May 3rd according to the Irish Times.

That really puts the focus onto J & J now, seeing as it is a very similar vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The thing is if other countries, larger than us, start spacing out the doses... is there any point in us trying to toe the line due to this theoretical concern? Seems like worst of both worlds then.

I don't think the us and them discussion holds much baring here to be honest. You can buy most antibiotics OTC in some countries yet we still have antimicrobial stewardship and oversight programs working very well in developed nations.

The less chance the world gives this virus to infect people the less chance of a mutation event occurring. The more robust of an immune response a person has when exposed to the pathogen also means the less chance of an escape mutation outcome from a partially naive/immune host.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Only 9000 doses of AZ will be delivered to Ireland between now and May 3rd according to the Irish Times.

That really puts the focus onto J & J now, seeing as it is a very similar vaccine.

What reasons are they giving now for the reduction ?

What reasons are they giving now for the reduction ?

Irish Mirror are the ones who broke the story apparently :

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hse-unable-say-vaccine-target-23950231

Irish Mirror are the ones who broke the story apparently :

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hse-unable-say-vaccine-target-23950231

It was said at the health committee earlier this afternoon. HSE said AZ informed them in the last 48hrs.

165k due in on the 3rd now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought they'd have more to go round considering Denmark have abandoned it completely and half of Europe is restricting it's use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭embraer170

Wasn't J&J first planned for the homeless and other groups that might be at risk of not attending for a second dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

I think you are right .
    Hiwever I think the "women" but has been discounted already has it not ?
    The vaccinated were mainly female so they cannot as yet say that gender played part .

That's not what I read. The J&J doses in the US were given to the general population almost 50/50 to men and women. But the six cases of rare blood clots were all in young women. Different situation to AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Russman

This has been the main worry as regards giving everybody some immunity with one jab , but not the best immunity as per clinical trials .
    It's not just a question of " getting it done " , but doing it properly .
    We are not in a panic mode....yet ..... as the UK were when they authorised extending the mRNA intervals between doses.
    Who knows what impact that will have on their ability to stop the more serious variants from causing serious disease inthe next while ?
    And as we are so close it makes sense to get it right so our little population doesn't have continuing issues.

Agree with this completely. I’m no expert but there does seem to be a slight conflict between “do you want it done quick or do you want it done right ?”
    Obviously that’s a debate NIAC hopefully are having at the moment !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I went to CityWest for my AstraZeneca today - I arrived into the queue at 16.05 for my 16.15 appointment. I eventually walked out, having got my dose and my 15 minute sitout, at 17.45. Queueing in the car park was a bit of a pain - that bit took an hour, and it was lucky it was a nice enough day. I must say that the place seemed very well organised, and everyone was very pleasant. It just felt as if there were not enough registration points (7 operational out of 24) and not enough lines of vaccination booths for the numbers of people who were there. I'm sure they would have figured out the numbers needed so I would say people arrived far too early for their appointments. When I was leaving, the queue was slightly shorer, but not much. I think they really need to sort this, because anyone who was there today will probably be aiming to get their earlier for their second dose, and anyone due to get vaccinated there in the next little while will be thinking the same if they have seen the comments.

But it's done, and I'm delighted!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement