Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

vienne86 wrote: »
    I went to CityWest for my AstraZeneca today - I arrived into the queue at 16.05 for my 16.15 appointment. I eventually walked out, having got my dose and my 15 minute sitout, at 17.45. Queueing in the car park was a bit of a pain - that bit took an hour, and it was lucky it was a nice enough day. I must say that the place seemed very well organised, and everyone was very pleasant. It just felt as if there were not enough registration points (7 operational out of 24) and not enough lines of vaccination booths for the numbers of people who were there. I'm sure they would have figured out the numbers needed so I would say people arrived far too early for their appointments. When I was leaving, the queue was slightly shorer, but not much. I think they really need to sort this, because anyone who was there today will probably be aiming to get their earlier for their second dose, and anyone due to get vaccinated there in the next little while will be thinking the same if they have seen the comments.

But it's done, and I'm delighted!

Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I went to CityWest for my AstraZeneca today - I arrived into the queue at 16.05 for my 16.15 appointment. I eventually walked out, having got my dose and my 15 minute sitout, at 17.45. Queueing in the car park was a bit of a pain - that bit took an hour, and it was lucky it was a nice enough day. I must say that the place seemed very well organised, and everyone was very pleasant. It just felt as if there were not enough registration points (7 operational out of 24) and not enough lines of vaccination booths for the numbers of people who were there. I'm sure they would have figured out the numbers needed so I would say people arrived far too early for their appointments. When I was leaving, the queue was slightly shorer, but not much. I think they really need to sort this, because anyone who was there today will probably be aiming to get their earlier for their second dose, and anyone due to get vaccinated there in the next little while will be thinking the same if they have seen the comments.

But it's done, and I'm delighted!

Delighted for you !! Woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

@vienne

So were there people ahead of you in the queue in City West who actually had later appointments ? Then that really should be sorted somehow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

AZ really are doing FA to help their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    @vienne

So were there people ahead of you in the queue in City West who actually had later appointments ? Then that really should be sorted somehow ?

I didn't ask, except for the person in front of me, who was scheduled for 16.25. I'm just speculating. But whatever the reason, it shouldn't be necessary to queue in a car park for that length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I would of hoped that security at the gates of city west would check appointment time and if you’re too early tell you to come back later allowing those due for appointment more space, if this happened word would get around, don’t go too early they won’t let you in and it would lead to a more orderly system

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Another thing I should have mentioned. Note that it was only 65-69 year olds in Citywest today, but all women were asked, on two separate occasions, to confirm that they were not pregnant :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I would of hoped that security at the gates of city west would check appointment time and if you’re too early tell you to come back later allowing those due for appointment more space, if this happened word would get around, don’t go too early they won’t let you in and it would lead to a more orderly system

Or just have a system where you are called when it is your turn. Text message or airport style info screen. Like for the drivers licence except socially distanced. The medical profession always seem to keep its customers waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Another thing I should have mentioned. Note that it was only 65-69 year olds in Citywest today, but all women were asked, on two separate occasions, to confirm that they were not pregnant :eek:

I would ask this question myself being honest. I know it sounds insane, but I never presume anything about anyone.

Or just have a system where you are called when it is your turn. Text message or airport style info screen. Like for the drivers licence except socially distanced.

Wouldn’t work in city west, it’s bottleneck upto hotel and then huge car parks but someone at gates could cortail the inflow by times I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Post menopausal women even without ovaries can act as gestational surrogates with the appropriate hormone injections. Probably a much lower incidence rate than blood clotting with the vaccines though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Wouldn’t work in city west, it’s bottleneck upto hotel and then huge car parks but someone at gates could cortail the inflow by times I would think.

They could probably set the car park up with time slots = specific areas. Direct everyone to park in their time slots area. Have them wait there until it’s go time.

At 54 I would love if someone asked me if there was a possibility I was pregnant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Women are always asked if they re pregnant for medical stuff.... I didn’t pass a blind bit of notice of that question a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

At 54 I would love if someone asked me if there was a possibility I was pregnant!!

My cousin at age 51 gave birth last year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ya never know, somebody could be sneaking in pretending to be their mother! :pac:
    Congratulations, Vienne86, and hope you are feeling OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It's "Out of an Abundance of Caution! ". :D

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/parenting/2019/09/06/oldest-woman-to-ever-give-birth-has-twins-at-74-years-old/2231598001/

Good Evening Ms Sally

Ahem!!

Is it possible that you might be pregnant?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Good Evening Ms Sally

Ahem!!

Is it possible that you might be pregnant?

Unless it’s the immaculate conception Tom, I would say no! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

It was said at the health committee earlier this afternoon. HSE said AZ informed them in the last 48hrs.

165k due in on the 3rd now

It's always jam tomorrow with AZ. We'll probably only get half of that figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's always jam tomorrow with AZ. We'll probably only get half of that figure.

It's always backloaded it appears. Same end of March early days of April is happening again end of April early days of May

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They have to know more than a few days that they're not going to make their expected delivery. The notice period is crap.

The way things are going we'll be needing all J&J to cover all potential AZ recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Kevint30

Wife 35, received first dose of AZ in February, diagnosed with DVT in leg in UHL tonight. 6 other people in with similar issues (speaking to eachother in acute medical unit) all took AZ in February. Surely not a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Kevint30 wrote: »
    Wife 35, received first dose of AZ in February, diagnosed with DVT in leg in UHL tonight. 6 other people in with similar issues (speaking to eachother in acute medical unit) all took AZ in February. Surely not a coincidence.

That's a big gap in time though. Can it start causing side effects two months after being administered?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Too long a gap, don't think that's anything too do with AZ.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Too long a gap, don't think that's anything too do with AZ.

I hope not, just find it very peculiar that others she spoke with were having the same issue. 23rd of Feb was her 1st jab.

Strazdas wrote: »
    That's a big gap in time though. Can it start causing side effects two months after being administered?

I've no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I hope not, just find it very peculiar that others she spoke with were having the same issue. 23rd of Feb was her 1st jab.

Also not associated with DVT, it's a rarer kind of blood clot.

Jeez, that's awful! Ye must be in bits with that news!

As for the potential link to AZ, Thrombosis Ireland issued a statement a week ago to say that no evidence exists that DVTs are in any way associated with AZ. The type of clot within the purview of the current AZ scare (CVST with thrombocytopenia) is allegedly quite different from a DVT, which is sadly an all too common event.

That said, if there is a cluster in UHL with similar AZ histories, I'm sure that will be assessed along with other potential causes. Thankfully, ye got her into hospital, and I'm sure treatmsnt can start immediately which is good news. I'd be inclined to look at other causes, rather than focusing on AZ, as the circumstances appear to be well outside the timeframe and clotting mechanisms involved in the vaccine studies.

I'm sure also that they will have tested her for Covid, as sadly a Covid infection would also be a potential cause of DVT with the journal Thorax saying that it found the occurrence of DVTs among people with Covid as high as 11.2%...:eek:

I wish her a speedy recovery, and stay safe yourself..

https://thrombosis.ie/covid-19/

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/az-covid-19-vaccine-blood-clots-risks-explained/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hope your wife's doing well.
    Impossible to know if it is a coincidence or not. AZ is currently not linked with DVT. It's possible as more and more people get vaccinated the people presenting into the various medical and surgical assessment units with various problems will have gotten a vaccine recently. Whether a vaccine was a contributory factor will be difficult to determine.

Was it reported to the HPRA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement