Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Kevint30

Turtwig wrote: »
    Hope your wife's doing well.
    Impossible to know if it is a coincidence or not. AZ is currently not linked with DVT. It's possible as more and more people get vaccinated the people presenting into the various medical and surgical assessment units with various problems will have gotten a vaccine recently. Whether a vaccine was a contributory factor will be difficult to determine.

Was it reported to the HPRA.

She is literally just home, she's fine thanks. She got a blood thinning injection and Riudroxaban tabs to take. Appointment at DVT clinic Thursday morning. No idea if this was reported to the HPRA.

Straight from the nurses mouth when she met my wife was "another one post vaccine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Kevint30 wrote: »
    She is literally just home, she's fine thanks. She got a blood thinning injection and Riudroxaban tabs to take. Appointment at DVT clinic Thursday morning. No idea if this was reported to the HPRA.

Straight from the nurses mouth when she met my wife was "another one post vaccine"

Glad she's home and doing well! You'd better set the alarm, 'coz you'll be bringing her up the brekkie in the bed in the morning!! :D

On a separate note, that nurse was totally out of order! Talk about a lack of professionalism! Sometimes I despair!
    :mad:

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Jeez, that's awful! Ye must be in bits with that news!

As for the potential link to AZ, Thrombosis Ireland issued a statement a week ago to say that no evidence exists that DVTs are in any way associated with AZ. The type of clot within the purview of the current AZ scare (CVST with thrombocytopenia) is allegedly quite different from a DVT, which is sadly an all too common event.

That said, if there is a cluster in UHL with similar AZ histories, I'm sure that will be assessed along with other potential causes. Thankfully, ye got her into hospital, and I'm sure treatmsnt can start immediately which is good news. I'd be inclined to look at other causes, rather than focusing on AZ, as the circumstances appear to be well outside the timeframe and clotting mechanisms involved in the vaccine studies.

I'm sure also that they will have tested her for Covid, as sadly a Covid infection would also be a potential cause of DVT with the journal Thorax saying that it found the occurrence of DVTs among people with Covid as high as 11.2%...:eek:

I wish her a speedy recovery, and stay safe yourself..

https://thrombosis.ie/covid-19/

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/az-covid-19-vaccine-blood-clots-risks-explained/

Thanks for the information. She was not COVID tested today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can anyone remember what is the (supposed) Johnson & Johnson delivery schedule for April, May and June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know this isn't a very popular opinion, but nurses can be absolute morons the same as anyone else.

About 250k people were vaccinated in Feb. To take just one risk factor for VT, you'd expect a few cases in that group from users of oral contraceptives alone. And the risk of VT in the general population grows sharply with age, so if older people are being vaccinated there will be a number of cases arising purely from other causes.

Also, given that the vaccines are not 100% effective, you'd expect VT cases from people vaccinated who'd subsequently had mild COVID, since even mild COVID has a significant thrombosis risk. That's one of the reasons we're vaccinating people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This seems like good news about India's Covaxin

https://twitter.com/ICMRDELHI/status/1384762345314951173

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wadacrack wrote: »
    This seems like good news about India's Covaxin

https://twitter.com/ICMRDELHI/status/1384762345314951173
    Good to see but the suggestion is that the double mutant was never more than a VUI unless you access certain elements of the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Turtwig wrote: »
    Brexit impacted the UK's access to Europe cases. They had plenty on their own soil that they simply didn't recognise despite being reported.

Cases typically occur within two weeks after vaccination. It doesn't mean they are identified and reported then.

This is like assuming all covid deaths in Ireland are reported on time. There is a delay in the reporting period from when the adverse event occurs, is formally identified and reported. Many, especially, at the outset, will be missed.

Not too sure how Brexit impacted it to be honest - it may have, I don't know. The UK Yellow Card system updates other Medical authorities and vice versa - . Many in the community talk to each other ask and share knowledge and experiences as well as updates via medical bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What time approx will Mondays doses be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

TheDoctor wrote: »

There's no approx time. Some point during the morning probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Not too sure how Brexit impacted it to be honest - it may have, I don't know. The UK Yellow Card system updates other Medical authorities and vice versa - . Many in the community talk to each other ask and share knowledge and experiences as well as updates via medical bodies.

Because of Brexit, the UK withdrew from the EMA on 31st December. Their MHRA took over sole responsibility for regulation. That agency did not spot the associations that other countries spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

"Another reason for the MHRA’s slower reaction, suggest observers, could be that it lost access to Eudravigilance, the vast European database into which all adverse drug reactions are reported, when the UK left the orbit EMA regulation on 31 December last year.

An EMA spokeswoman told The Telegraph: “The MHRA has access to the EudraVigilance gateway only. This allows them to submit cases (or to receive Northern Irish cases), but they cannot check the data in EudraVigilance."

This article suggests the UK's data access is reduced now they are out of the EU:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/revealed-britains-regulator-missed-link-astrazeneca-jab-rare/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Wife 35, received first dose of AZ in February, diagnosed with DVT in leg in UHL tonight. 6 other people in with similar issues (speaking to eachother in acute medical unit) all took AZ in February. Surely not a coincidence.

Was there an underlying health reason that she received her vaccine aged 35? Scary that there were 6 other people there with the same problem...were they all female?

I'm due to get my vaccine at the Aviva today. Are there delays getting in to the car park etc. Would I be better finding a parking space out on the road and walking in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

I'm due to get my vaccine at the Aviva today. Are there delays getting in to the car park etc. Would I be better finding a parking space out on the road and walking in?

Will be plenty of parking on the streets around (all pay parking mind), so wouldnt be too worried about it.

acer911 wrote: »
    Will be plenty of parking on the streets around (all pay parking mind), so wouldnt be too worried about it.

Yes. Might park out on the street. There was an earlier post on here about long queues of cars trying to get in to City West yesterday with long delays.

Just wanted to see what the Aviva experience was like from someone who was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Not to mention the fact that there's two Mr. Johnsons, which will speed things up even more.

Its so good they give you both Johnson jabs at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

TheDoctor wrote: »

Released now

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/vaccination-programme-dashboard-as-of-19-april-2021.pdf

14k doses on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Was there an underlying health reason that she received her vaccine aged 35? Scary that there were 6 other people there with the same problem...were they all female?

She is a health care worker. Never had issues. She rang her doc this morning, he said it's very suspicious. He advised her to think very carefully before accepting 2nd dose. 5 female 1 male

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

How do you get 14k? Is it not 8.3k?

It was revised up, the previous day's numbers had changed in the reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

How do you get 14k? Is it not 8.3k?

Yes, looks like you are right, they revised up the figure from Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭crossman47

She is a health care worker. Never had issues. She rang her doc this morning, he said it's very suspicious. He advised her to think very carefully before accepting 2nd dose. 5 female 1 male

That doc doesn't appear to be as clued in as he should be. Many posters above made the point DVT is not the issue with AZ at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

1huge1 wrote: »
    Yes, looks like you are right, they revised up the figure from Sunday.

See this is going to be the problem with looking at daily numbers. The data is never final, at least when it was a 3 day delay there wasn't much changing going on day to day. Now what we have with the shorter gap is daily numbers changing all the time due to data not being uploaded in time, be it from the GP or the MVC, whatever it may be and numbers changing in the days that follow.

All that matters at this stage is the weekly number in my opinion, it gives a better picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

My early optimism in the vaccine roll out is definitely starting to wane. Even taking out the AZ shortfall announcement we have close to 350k vaccines currently in fridges according to the Belgian delivery numbers. We are also due a big delivery of Pfizer early this week. Yes some are required for second doses such as Moderna but we are now clearly in a position where we are not administering supply in the week that we get it or anywhere close. It looks like we will substantially miss our April target and It would be great if some journalists could ask the relevant questions as to why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Why is your OH's doctor advising her against a vaccine that has no link to DVT, when she has been diagnosed with DVT?

Something doesn't add up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

See this is going to be the problem with looking at daily numbers. The data is never final...

..All that matters at this stage is the weekly number in my opinion, it gives a better picture.

It's exciting. We know this now with regards to the case numbers, and now we're applying it to the vaccine numbers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Lumen wrote: »
    I know this isn't a very popular opinion, but nurses can be absolute morons the same as anyone else.

Brings back memories of the Savita Halappanavar case:
    “It’s a Catholic thing and we won’t be able to help you.”

Though that was more oxymoronic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

If I read that correctly, the vaccine was given in February, but dvt has been found now. I understood that the many if not all observed clots occurred, within 5-10 days of jab, plus treatment is different when platelet check required (different thinning med if I recall). I hope she is on the mend. Scary of course and concern for your loved one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement