Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Am I being really naive with the hope they might reduce the age for J&J down below 60?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think we get up-to-date numbers on deliveries, but based on expected deliveries and administered doses up to the end of Monday, we should have;

Pfizer: ~150,000
    Moderna: ~130,000
    AZ: ~210,000

The AZ one is probably too high because their delivery schedules are a mess.

Am I miss reading this? We have 500k vaccines in storage?

The whole vaccine hesitancy thing is such utter BS to me.
    You are statistically more likely to be killed on the way to the vaccination centre, than you are by the vaccine.

Not if you don't go. :pac:
    Also that stat isn't quite accurate. You're more likely to die over the course of a year in a car crash, not on one particular journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

pc7 wrote: »
    Am I being really naive with the hope they might reduce the age for J&J down below 60?

It's a hard one to judge. One wonders if they will take note of what other EU states are doing.

According to Fergal Bowers, they will have 40,000 J&J doses available to them in total (including current stock) by the end of April.....perhaps they would still go to over 60s?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's a hard one to judge. One wonders if they will take note of what other EU states are doing.

Really hope they just lash it out, give people the choice, I'd happily sign a waiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

astrofool wrote: »
    We're bang on average in the EU, which is impressive as we had the most logistics to sort with the AZ changes.

Honestly, this site is great with all the data to make a good judgement of what's going on, this being the most important from judging our rollout speed:

Pfizer/BioNTech - delivered/used(91%)
    https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/vaccines/

Why do we have more logistics to sort than any other EU country?

pc7 wrote: »
    Really hope they just lash it out, give people the choice, I'd happily sign a waiver.

Yes, though giving J & J to the over 60s could potentially speed up Pfizer and Moderna going to the under 60s, so even an age limit wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Couple of interesting milestones internationally. Israel will probably reach 120 vaccines per 100 people tomorrow. UAE will get to 100 per 100 probably the day after. It will be interesting to see if Israel can continue to drive down their case number, they are currently at 17 per million per day average. The low covid threshold in countries like Singapore and Korea was under 10 per million per day. It'll be interesting to see if Israel get there soon. 100 vaccines per 100 was where Israel saw the real fall off in case numbers, they went from 450 cases per million per day to 145 cases per million in just two weeks. The UAE currently has 190 cases per day, will we see a sudden drop off??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

crossman47 wrote: »
    That doc doesn't appear to be as clued in as he should be. Many posters above made the point DVT is not the issue with AZ at all.

There's a number of issues that come to mind here:

1. The biggest one is obviously that the poor woman got a DVT at all. However, its great that she got the necessary care and is now out of hospital.
    2. That the nurse made such a throwaway remark to, or in the hearing of, a lady who must have been in bits at the time. The last thing the lady needed was idle conjecture. If the nurse had suspicions, she should have raised them with the medical team, rather than frightening the patient who had enough on her plate.
    3. I simply cannot fathom how the hospital's protocols did not include a test for Covid infection at some point following the immediate treatment, given the huge potential for DVT from Covid in the first place.
    4. If the Dr this morning has a genuine belief that it is'AZ suspicious', s/he should be following up with the appropriate ppl. I hope s/he has done something to alert the authorities appropriately of these suspicions, and not just saying it to the lady. What is the lady supposed to do EXCEPT now worry about something else and potentially become only partially protected.

Leaving aside the particular lady herself, the whole picture doesn't show an elegance and joined-up response, with apparent idle speculation on the part of the health care professionals apparently not backed up by diagnostic action, UNLESS the DVT was not un-expected by them for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Strazdas wrote: »

Do we know what other EU states are doing?

- Netherlands are resuming J&J today with no age restrictions.
    - France are resuming J&J next week and it seems that France will have no restrictions.
    - Italy have gone with 60+ restriction on J&J.

Any other countries announced their decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

snotboogie wrote: »
    Why do we have more logistics to sort than any other EU country?

We don't, but probably more than the average EU country due to the 60+ limitation on AstraZeneca, and as we're at the EU average, the rollout of vaccines would be classed as going quite well given the supplies available. We consistently get 95% of supply into arms within a week, when that stops, then we can have a tantrum about it.

When NIAC makes their decision, then the logistics involved in J&J will kick in and hopefully be sorted quickly but we will have 40,000 "unused" supply hanging around until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We don't, but probably more than the average EU country due to the 60+ limitation on AstraZeneca, and as we're at the EU average, the rollout of vaccines would be classed as going quite well given the supplies available. We consistently get 95% of supply into arms within a week, when that stops, then we can have a tantrum about it.

When NIAC makes their decision, then the logistics involved in J&J will kick in and hopefully be sorted quickly but we will have 40,000 "unused" supply hanging around until then.
    That 40K batch is most likely earmarked for minority groups and homeless and roughly covers that total.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Am I miss reading this? We have 500k vaccines in storage?

EU vaccine tracker says doses distributed but not administered:

Comirnaty (Pfizer): 94,422
    Janssen (J&J): 14,400
    Moderna: 90,827
    Vaxzevria (AZ): 144,779
    Total: 344,428

That's based on total doses administered of 1,214,882.

Source: https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

JTMan wrote: »
    Do we know what other EU states are doing?

- Netherlands are resuming J&J today with no age restrictions.
    - France are resuming J&J next week and it seems that France will have no restrictions.
    - Italy have gone with 60+ restriction on J&J.

Any other countries announced their decision?

Delighted to see the Dutch announce no age restrictions. It puts pressure on the NIAC to show some common sense and adopt a similar policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

snotboogie wrote: »
    Couple of interesting milestones internationally. Israel will probably reach 120 vaccines per 100 people tomorrow. UAE will get to 100 per 100 probably the day after. It will be interesting to see if Israel can continue to drive down their case number, they are currently at 17 per million per day average. The low covid threshold in countries like Singapore and Korea was under 10 per million per day. It'll be interesting to see if Israel get there soon. 100 vaccines per 100 was where Israel saw the real fall off in case numbers, they went from 450 cases per million per day to 145 cases per million in just two weeks. The UAE currently has 190 cases per day, will we see a sudden drop off??

That is very interesting, can I ask what we are at with vaccines per 100 people at the moment? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That is very interesting, can I ask what we are at with vaccines per 100 people at the moment? Does anyone know?

24.47 doses/100 people as of 18 April.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say I got my vaccine today as I am in a high risk category, the sense of joy today is something else. I got the first dose of Moderna, back in 28 days hopefully, but I am beyond happy today to have got it.

Just needed to express my joy somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Delighted to see the Dutch announce no age restrictions. It puts pressure on the NIAC to show some common sense and adopt a similar policy.

I would prefer NIAC used their professional experience and research into the situation rather than meer common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭amandstu

I got a text message at 10 this morning to be at the appointment at 11.

It would have taken me over an hour to get in if I had jumped into the car on the spot.

Am I now at the back of the queue?

Who do I contact now since this was done online-to hopefully get another appointment (and hopefully with more than an hour's notice)

Chong wrote: »
    I have to say I got my vaccine today as I am in a high risk category, the sense of joy today is something else. I got the first dose of Moderna, back in 28 days hopefully, but I am beyond happy today to have got it.

Great news . Delighted for you

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »
    I got a text message at 10 this morning to be at the appointment at 11.

It would have taken me over an hour to get in if I had jumped into the car on the spot.

Am I now at the back of the queue?

Who do I contact now since this was done online-to hopefully get another appointment (and hopefully with more than an hour's notice)

Was it the online portal for 65-69 ?
    My text said they would text me 3-7 days in advance .

HSE helpline
    1850 24 1850

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Taoiseach- He also clarified that the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) will meet tomorrow to consider the latest advice from the European Medicines Agency.

Why didn't NIAC meet last night. Why wait 48 hours later. Other countries in EU already have and made a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Taoiseach- He also clarified that the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) will meet tomorrow to consider the latest advice from the European Medicines Agency.

Why didn't NIAC meet last night. Why wait 48 hours later. Other countries in EU already have and made a decision.
    I was thinking the same, lack of urgency is galling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Chong wrote: »

Congratulations, I think you're the first person I've heard of to get moderna. How do you feel today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Likely requested more info from the EMA. Can't meet if they don't have all the details they want/require.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's possible the members are reading the documents themselves and tomorrow, when meeting, will be in a position to have an informed discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭amandstu

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Was it the online portal for 65-69 ?
    My text said they would text me 3-7 days in advance .

HSE helpline
    1850 24 1850
    Yes it was .Thanks for the number:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Ms Butler clearly pointed out yesterday that they are expecting more data on age profiles to be provided this week to inform their decision. So I suppose they could have made a less informed decision based on what data they had last night, which no doubt would have veared well into the realm of conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

For someone who is bad at evaluating risk and being vaccine hesitant, the car analogy is bad, they think they can control that risk by not using cars or driving carefully (they can't, but anyway). It's really better off being put in the form of the risk from COVID vs. the risk of something happening which we now have a treatment for and is very low risk anyway.

It also doesn't help when people blindly say blood clots as it's a very specific illness that can happen that is completely unrelated to most blood clot illnesses that occur, but now people are conflating the two and working themselves into a tizzy.

I completely agree, but the risks v Covid have been repeatedly stated and yet there is vaccine hesitancy, hence the other analogy!

• Advertisement

Tánaiste tells Virgin Media News a decision could be made on Johnson & Johnson by NIAC as soon as tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement