Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

amandstu wrote: »
    Yes it was .Thanks for the number:)

Double check the text that its not next Wednesday ? Unusual to get such short notice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Fair enough ,valid points. Its just when they are holding back on making a decision about spacing out vaccines until this part is concluded I wish it could happen faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Chong wrote: »
    I have to say I got my vaccine today as I am in a high risk category, the sense of joy today is something else. I got the first dose of Moderna, back in 28 days hopefully, but I am beyond happy today to have got it.

Just needed to express my joy somewhere.

OH and I felt the exact same on Saturday, having been given 10 minutes to get into the GP surgery to get Pfizered with shots that became available at short notice. I'm still buzzing 4-5 days later! And that's despite getting a very large initial response that wasted me! Its one of the most positive things in our house since our grand-child was born in 2019!

So, enjoy the good feeling and look forward to a better 2021! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

That is very interesting, can I ask what we are at with vaccines per 100 people at the moment? Does anyone know?

Just under 25. Looking at the countries between 30 and 100, it seems a downward pressure on case numbers starts at about 30 per 100 if you have a high number of cases, like over 500 per million per day. If a country has low case numbers, like Ireland, we likely won't see pressure on case numbers until we get to about 80 per 100, possibly 100 per 100.

This is the key in the Chile misunderstanding, their case numbers were comparatively low when they started mass vaccination. While they have seen an increase in cases, their overall numbers are still well below 500 per million and are only at 70 vaccines per 100. Bahrain is the only real outlier I can see so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    OH and I felt the exact same on Saturday, having been given 10 minutes to get into the GP surgery to get Pfizered with shots that became available at short notice. I'm still buzzing 4-5 days later! And that's despite getting a very large initial response that wasted me! Its one of the most positive things in our house since our grand-child was born in 2019!

Great stuff, be there in 10 minutes for your covid shot is my wet dream at the moment! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

TomOnBoard wrote: »

It is the happiest I have been in months, the thought soon enough I can see my parents who are 3 weeks themselves from being fully vaccinated make so happy!
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    Congratulations, I think you're the first person I've heard of to get moderna. How do you feel today?

Thank you! so far so good, I had it done at 11.30am so hopefully the day works out ok and the next few days I guess. The nurses said the main response can come post the second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭amandstu

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Double check the text that its not next Wednesday ? Unusual to get such short notice

No ,it was the 21st.I rang 1850241850 and they said that they will send me out a new appointment with 2 to 3 days notice:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Fair enough ,valid points. Its just when they are holding back on making a decision about spacing out vaccines until this part is concluded I wish it could happen faster.
    Bigger countries probably have more staff to analyse the same amount of data too. As much as I want to see the decision made, a day or so won't make much of a difference. If they're very conservative, I wonder what their reasoning will be versus other countries that approved it (beyond "an abundance of caution").

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Chong wrote: »
    The nurses said the main response can come post the second shot.

That appears to be the case. My OH felt rotten for a day or two after the second Moderna shot, especially feeling very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

crossman47 wrote: »
    That appears to be the case. My OH felt rotten for a day or two after the second Moderna shot, especially feeling very cold.

The good thing is once you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I completely agree, but the risks v Covid have been repeatedly stated and yet there is vaccine hesitancy, hence the other analogy!

It's just an analogy I've learned to stay away from, one thing that causes hesitancy is lack of control over something, so a car is something that can be controlled so the mind thinks the risk is less, a vaccine is something the person can't control (other than not having it) so the risk seems more. It's why it's better to compare it to things they don't have control over (contracting SARS-COV2 from an asymptomatic super spreader, risk of getting clots if they do nothing at all, as examples).

People jump through all kinds of hoops in their mind to justify their decisions, the key is to recognise that and argue from their point of view rather than yours (e.g no GMO person is probably inadvertently using GMO produced items anyway they just don't know it, person who wears goggles is forgetting about the soft membrane in their ears or picking up diseases on their clothes and bringing it home, either way they can't entirely eliminate risks no matter how much control they think they have).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

My early optimism in the vaccine roll out is definitely starting to wane. Even taking out the AZ shortfall announcement we have close to 350k vaccines currently in fridges according to the Belgian delivery numbers. We are also due a big delivery of Pfizer early this week. Yes some are required for second doses such as Moderna but we are now clearly in a position where we are not administering supply in the week that we get it or anywhere close. It looks like we will substantially miss our April target and It would be great if some journalists could ask the relevant questions as to why.
    We are well down on the projected 860,000 for the current month and are vaccinating at only slightly greater rates than the month of March, when the slow pace of vaccinations was also being highlighted.

It is important also to remember also the 860,000 for April is in itself a reduction from a previous projection made earlier in the month and even as a projected number does not sadly match the current pace of countries like the US or UK.

WTY.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm sick of hearing others getting vaccination apart from me, when the hell are the cohort 7 people going to be contacted, if I keep hearing the excuse that they are still vaccinating the over 60s and 70s, why don't they just bloody get on with it and get this roll out moving.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm sick of hearing others getting vaccination apart from me, when the hell are the cohort 7 people going to be contacted, if I keep hearing the excuse that they are still vaccinating the over 60s and 70s, why don't they just bloody get on with it and get this roll out moving.
    Spoke to my doctor yesterday RE group 7 and he said he doesn't expect the majority of those in the group to be done for quite some time, more in line with the general population than prioritised

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I know of some Group 4s being done at present, notified out of the blue so to speak. That's how it seems to be and the supply lottery really doesn't help any of that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because there physically isn't enough vaccine available to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think this needs clarifying as I've seen it posted here and posted on twitter etc

860k doses in April is NOT 860k administered, its 860k delivered into the country. This will change again as AZ backloaded delviery is pushed to 3rd May of 100k +.

There seems to be some confusion when the 860k number is thrown about. Maybe it's not communicated effectively but it's a point to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Russman

is_that_so wrote: »
    I know of some Group 4s being done at present, notified out of the blue so to speak. That's how it seems to be and the supply lottery really doesn't help any of that at all.

Yep, a work colleague who would be either group 4 or 7, I'm not sure if he's high or very high risk, got a call Monday evening to go to his GP within something like 30mins or an hour for a Pfizer jab. He's 58.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

We are well down on the projected 860,000 for the current month and are vaccinating at only slightly greater rates than the month of March, when the slow pace of vaccinations was also being highlighted.

It is important also to remember also the 860,000 for April is in itself a reduction from a previous projection made earlier in the month and even as a projected number does not sadly match the current pace of countries like the US or UK.

WTY.svg

I think it's really important we monitor performance, and shout loudly if we are seen to be falling behind. However, we have just done the biggest reorganisation of the rollout, changing who gets what vaccine and where. The MVCs handling a large percentage of the vaccines only started up again yesterday. I'm really hoping to see a huge improvement in the coming days, so still giving the benefit of the doubt. If the stockpiles of vaccines keep on building up, I'll lose faith pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Apologies if already posted, lost track of the thread , something on the positive side:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1384825539895173123?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ixoy wrote: »
    Bigger countries probably have more staff to analyse the same amount of data too. As much as I want to see the decision made, a day or so won't make much of a difference. If they're very conservative, I wonder what their reasoning will be versus other countries that approved it (beyond "an abundance of caution").

French press says their regulator won't make a decision 'until the end of the week', so I wouldn't criticise NIAC too much on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

According to Sky News: "Around 74,000 people were admitted to hospitals with the virus in recent months, but only 32 of them were vaccinated, official UK data from March shows."

And that's with primarily AZ having been administered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

So what you're saying is........ you admire our consistency?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

SJFly wrote: »
    I think it's really important we monitor performance, and shout loudly if we are seen to be falling behind. However, we have just done the biggest reorganisation of the rollout, changing who gets what vaccine and where.
    Yes, however there does not seem to be much in the way of rational justification for these reorganisations and stoppages given the amount of damage to the economy and people's well-being of continued lockdowns. One wonders how many more of them to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

They're due to start 7 in early May, I presume in order of age. My GP is currently doing over 70s and cohort 4 and have started compiling the list for cohort 7. 100,000 of 250,000 of cohort 4 have had one dose and there are approx 80,000 over 70s left out of 482,000 to get a first dose. Cohort 7's time will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

sd1999 wrote: »
    They're due to start 7 in early May, I presume in order of age. My GP is currently doing over 70s and cohort 4 and have started compiling the list for cohort 7. 100,000 of 250,000 of cohort 4 have had one dose and there are approx 80,000 over 70s left out of 482,000 to get a first dose. Cohort 7's time will come.

I'm cohort 4 .. had vaccination cancelled last Thurs due to AZ mess...still waiting for new appointment..
    Any number I can ring, GP doesn't know. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I think this needs clarifying as I've seen it posted here and posted on twitter etc

860k doses in April is NOT 860k administered, its 860k delivered into the country. This will change again as AZ backloaded delviery is pushed to 3rd May of 100k +.

There seems to be some confusion when the 860k number is thrown about. Maybe it's not communicated effectively but it's a point to be aware of.

No, 860k was administered.

https://twitter.com/zaraking/status/1377654457140441089

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

amandstu wrote: »
    No ,it was the 21st.I rang 1850241850 and they said that they will send me out a new appointment with 2 to 3 days notice:)

Not sure if this applies nationwide, in the north west all were sent texts last night for Astra vaccinations today but were undelivered.I received my text this morning at ten for a 9.30 appointment.Jumped in my car and arrived in Sligo at 10.45.Everbody in the queue only received their texts at same time as me all for today.Bottom line i'm vaccinated so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

muddypuppy wrote: »

So we only need to do circa 45,000 jabs a day for the rest of the month to meet that target?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

According to Sky News: "Around 74,000 people were admitted to hospitals with the virus in recent months, but only 32 of them were vaccinated, official UK data from March shows."

And that's with primarily AZ having been administered

Sadly, the study is misleading. The 74,000 includes Covid-related admissions for September, October, November and the first week of December, during which time nobody (other than folks in trials) had been vaccinated. Vaccinations started 8th December, so December admissions ought not be included, as they would not have had a 3-week period from vaccination until early January at best.

It may well be that valid study will find that out that from say 30,000 admisions during times when vaccinations were being rolled out and only ppl 3+weeks post shot 1 were included, only 32 were found among the vaccinated cohort, and that would be an awesome statistic. However if a study (as reported) is so flawed as this one, its 'conclusions' having been harnessed by BoJo yesterday for naked political purposes, it's unreliable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement