Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Didn’t they buy Sputnik?
    Sputnik isn't approved in the EU.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    That would be amazing if true, I heard there was possibility curevac was being approved quickly, I presume they have been manufacturing all this time and stock piling it?
    I would hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

83% of the eligible 65-69 group have now registered online or by phone

Ireland will be up near the very top when it comes to uptake of vaccines it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Valhallapt wrote: »
    That would be amazing if true, I heard there was possibility curevac was being approved quickly, I presume they have been manufacturing all this time and stock piling it?
    CureVac themselves have been saying June so any earlier would be great.

Do we have supply numbers for CureVac? You would assume they'd have similar efficacy to Pfizer/Moderna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1382685435621748740

The plan in this tweet (it was in a few news site articles too) mentions that the mental health group within Cohort 7 (approx. 50,000) will be done in MVCs. Has anyone heard anything about this from GPs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

is_that_so wrote: »

Yes I read that, but also German politicians have been applying pressure to get the German equivalent of niac to bypass the ema and approve it immediately, which isn’t going to happen, but don’t be suprised that pressure has been on the ema to be quick about approval. If it gets approved in may it’ll be delivered days later

Do we have supply numbers for CureVac? You would assume they'd have similar efficacy to Pfizer/Moderna.

225 million with an option of another 180 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

CureVac have said that EMA approval could be in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭josip

Strazdas wrote: »
    J & J and Curevac a factor perhaps?

Vaccine uptake will be lower in Germany than here, so their younger cohorts will be getting it offered to them sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Is there parking at the Helix? Any trouble getting a parking spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

I have read Boards for years, never registered. I have been following the Vaccine threads from Day 1 and I had to register to tell you that today I received dose 1 of Pfizer. I am 30 with a high Bmi and am in cohort 4.
    At 6.30 I got a call from my GP, they had spare vaccines. I was injected at 6.48!

JTMan wrote: »
    Their original expected date was for June so if it's earlier everyone will be happy.

I have read Boards for years, never registered. I have been following the Vaccine threads from Day 1 and I had to register to tell you that today I received dose 1 of Pfizer. I am 30 with a high Bmi and am in cohort 4.
    At 6.30 I got a call from my GP, they had spare vaccines. I was injected at 6.48!
    Congratulations! apt username

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I know somebody in their 30's who got a vaccine scheduled for this weekend totally out of the blue, cannot think of a reason why except that they're overweight. Questioned it with the GP who said just take it. They feel guilty, like they're skipping the queue.

Could be a good few media slots on that tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Is there parking at the Helix? Any trouble getting a parking spot?

From their website- Free parking will be available at the multi-storey car-park in DCU for people attending for vaccination. This is accessible from Collins Avenue, Dublin 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

That's good news that Pfizer are giving out thousands of extra doses in Ireland above our official national allocation.

Every little helps!

• Advertisement

I know somebody in their 30's who got a vaccine scheduled for this weekend totally out of the blue, cannot think of a reason why except that they're overweight. Questioned it with the GP who said just take it. They feel guilty, like they're skipping the queue.
    If their BMI is above 40, that's group 4. GP advice is spot on, take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

All helps and will make the national numbers move a little bit faster with those numbers taken out .

If their BMI is above 40, that's group 4.

Not even close to 40, but yes will follow the GPs advice. They're delighted, but guilty at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Sputnik isn't approved in the EU.

Earlier in April, there was a report that Germany intended to enter talks to buy Sputnik from Russia on a bilateral basis, IF the EMA decided to approve it, and if the EU then decided not to buy it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-sputnik-ex-idUSKBN2BU389

Not even close to 40.
    Still take it and forget about the guilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Sadly, the study is misleading. The 74,000 includes Covid-related admissions for September, October, November and the first week of December, during which time nobody (other than folks in trials) had been vaccinated. Vaccinations started 8th December, so December admissions ought not be included, as they would not have had a 3-week period from vaccination until early January at best.

It may well be that valid study will find that out that from say 30,000 admisions during times when vaccinations were being rolled out and only ppl 3+weeks post shot 1 were included, only 32 were found among the vaccinated cohort, and that would be an awesome statistic. However if a study (as reported) is so flawed as this one, its 'conclusions' having been harnessed by BoJo yesterday for naked political purposes, it's unreliable.

You're correct, I didn't spot that, thanks. Why the hell would they count hospital numbers from September to November? Really misleading.

Africa currently imports 99% of vaccines but aim to get to 60% locally supplied by 2040. Quite a challenge.
    On 13 April, Africa's leaders pledged to increase the share of vaccines manufactured in Africa from 1% to 60% by 2040. This includes building factories and bolstering capacity in research and development.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01048-1

Pfizer have 4,000 staff here. I suppose that could be 15k plus family members. A nice little boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Pfizer have 4,000 staff here. I suppose that could be 15k plus family members. A nice little boost.

I wonder will they get added to the vaccine data published by the HSE. Would make sense to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

sd1999 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1382685435621748740

The plan in this tweet (it was in a few news site articles too) mentions that the mental health group within Cohort 7 (approx. 50,000) will be done in MVCs. Has anyone heard anything about this from GPs?

I know some people in that group who got their first jab about 3 weeks ago, in the Aviva. They don’t know why it was so early when cohort 7 is not supposed to have started yet, but they weren’t going to turn it down! I presume like most of cohort 4/7, that it will depend on who their doctor/consultant is and how they chose to interpret the cohort definitions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement