Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Man in the Arena

Options
  • 12-04-2021 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

So, I think I can finally call myself a runner and with races coming back onto the horizon it is time to start a log.

The reason for the log is to be able to look back over a period of time and track effort, injuries / niggles, motivation and seek advice.

A little about me, I have always been involved in sport but looking back I wasn’t fit for a very long time.

I started running in September 2018, I just got it into my head one day to start running and proceeded to run 5K every day as fast as I could for 3 months, not the most scientific approach.

Then did something similar in January 2019 and signed up for the Mullingar half marathon (1:38) (my first official race), I enjoyed that race and promptly signed up for the Dublin Marathon and followed the Boards.ie plan and group.

I really liked the plan and thought it was very good for the level of running I was at, I did find it quite hard to slow down in that training block I raced twice prior to the big day, The Mullingar 10 (73 mins) & Tullamore Half (1:35).

I went to the start line of DCM very happy with the how the plan had went and my only concern was a slight hamstring strain (what I thought it was) which had popped up intermittently in training and on both previous race days. I had set out with the target of 3:29:59, went through half way perfectly and then the final 5 miles the leg injury struck again, in particular the downhill section past St Vincent’s was torture and I finished in 3:36.

I was pretty disheartened with that and stopped running for quite a while as I was so frustrated with the injury, I then went to another physio and he diagnosed it as tendonitis in the hamstring and the treatment he gave had an immediate positive impact, so I started running again in the first lockdown of 2020 and had a place in the Berlin Marathon, which obviously didn’t go ahead.

Since the start of the year I have been very consistent with both my running and also keeping my easy runs easy.

My goals for the short term is to stay fit, enjoy my running and target PB’s at all distances when racing returns.

I’ve an entry into the Berlin & Manchester marathons, I am not expecting Berlin to go ahead so hopefully I can differ that until 2022 and have it as a target race.

Gear

Watch – Garmin Fenix 6X

Heart Rate Strap – Wahoo TickrX

Current personal bests

5k – 19:19 – May 2019 - (Never raced this in a chipped event, this was a non-chipped race)

10K – 43:13 – July 2019 –(Never raced, this was part of a 10 mile)

10M – 1:13:20 – July 2019 – Mullingar

13.1M - 1:35 – August 2019 – Tullamore

26.21M – 3:36 – November 2019 Dublin

I’ll update this log at least weekly.

Yearly Distance - 557 Miles

Streak 102 days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Given the times we live in how could you have a gear list and not include your selection of shoes??! Any ones of note or are you yet to jump ship into the world of carbon plates?

Welcome to the logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Given the times we live in how could you have a gear list and not include your selection of shoes??! Any ones of note or are you yet to jump ship into the world of carbon plates?

Welcome to the logs.

Thanks very much for the welcome.

My collection isn't nearly as extensive as yours.

Nike Zoom Flyknit fly * 4
    Nike Air ZOOM Tempo Next %
    Nike Air ZOOM Pegasus 37
    Nike Zoom Fly 3
    Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo
    Nike Epic React Flyknit
    New Balance Fuelcell TC

I find it hard to change shoes so generally wear them until they give up, I've one pair of Flyknits with close to if not more than a 1000 miles and still use then for Tempo sessions.

I am looking for a cushioned shoe for the LSR's so keeping my eye on the spring sales. I ordered a pair of Saucony Men's Kinvara 11 but Amazon cancelled them.

As we get closer to Manchester I will probably order one of the premium carbon shoes.

Not bad atall! Nice collection but definitely lacking in a premium shoe like the Next%, Endorphin or Adios Pro. ;)

I've started wearing the Pegasus Turbo 2 on my long runs. I've found it hard to find a place for them otherwise.

Absolutely love the Fuelcell TC. Probably one of my favorite shoes alongside the Endorphin Pro that I own.

Not bad atall! Nice collection but definitely lacking in a premium shoe like the Next%, Endorphin or Adios Pro. ;)

I've started wearing the Pegasus Turbo 2 on my long runs. I've found it hard to find a place for them otherwise.

Absolutely love the Fuelcell TC. Probably one of my favorite shoes alongside the Endorphin Pro that I own.

I'm the same with the Pegasus Turbo, they seem to fall down as they aren't exceptional for any one type of session but a great all rounder.

The Fuelcell TC is a pleasure to run in, granted I've only done 8 miles in them, the spring is something else. I got them in the sports direct sale so for €135ish a great price.

I'm the same with the Pegasus Turbo, they seem to fall down as they aren't exceptional for any one type of session but a great all rounder.

The Fuelcell TC is a pleasure to run in, granted I've only done 8 miles in them, the spring is something else. I got them in the sports direct sale so for €135ish a great price.

Yeah same here. Was a phenomenal price. They're the first shoe I think about when there's an upcoming session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Far too much shoe talk here. ;)

Your times are interesting - a lot of them similar to my own. As you suspect, that 5k was probably a bit short, or else 5k is your sweet spot. A much better time than the others if it’s legit!

Berlin is a great race. Good luck with the training. Any particular training plans / approaches in mind?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Far too much shoe talk here. ;)

Your times are interesting - a lot of them similar to my own. As you suspect, that 5k was probably a bit short, or else 5k is your sweet spot. A much better time than the others if it’s legit!

Berlin is a great race. Good luck with the training. Any particular training plans / approaches in mind?

I've actually had two non chip runs that are quite similar the 19:19 & 19:34, both in 2019 along with a 3:29 K in a time trial for a sport I'm involved in.

I'm really looking forward to racing coming back so that I can get an accurate picture of how I've benefited from the more structured approach to training I've taken recently and the effect on PB's.

I've read Advanced Marathoning and like some aspects of the plans. At the moment it's a straight shootout between P&D 18 week 55 and Hansons advanced plan.

Both plans have draw backs in particular Hansons I'm not sure how I'd feel without the few 16+ mile runs and with the P&D is the two rest days.

I'm currently running 7 days a week and building the average up to 200 miles a month, with two sessions of substance a week, so both plans will be a step back for the first number of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well I’m a fan of Hanson, worked out well for me on a number of occasions. I had less success with P&D (could have been the stage of my development however).

Don’t worry about the LR length. It’s not a problem. Good Hanson thread here:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057982106/1/#post110230843

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great to see you start a log! Best of luck with it and the running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I have also booked Manchester just incase Dublin doesn't go ahead!

Very best of luck with the log & the running :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good to see another Westmeath man on the logs, best of luck with the goals.

So my first weekly update!

Week 15 – 12th to the 19th of April

12th – 6.25 Miles @ 8:47 m/m – 132 BPM Avg HR

This run was in the evening as the kids were out of crèche, I much prefer running at lunchtime. I did a couple of laps of the town with my friend, which as usual means that the pace / HR was slightly faster/ higher than I would’ve liked.

13th – 3.28 Miles @ 10:15 m/m – 117 BPM Avg Hr

Another evening run and after a tough day, just wanted to go out and run very slowly and controlled keeping the heart rate under 120 BPM to help with the recovery. The pace was probably slight under estimated as I stopped to talk without stopping the watch.

14th – 7.40 Miles @ 8:26 m/m – 140 BPM Avg HR

A bog standard run, just putting miles in, I didn’t time this one right so the last mile was 7:15 m/m to get home in time. I really don’t like meandering along and then having to inject pace into a run always seems like a struggle.

15th – 6.57 @ 9:10 m/m – 128 BPM Average HR

Another mundane run, keeping the effort and heart rate controlled, my runs generally have a hill in them so that requires dialling back the pace to keep HR low.

16th – 7.55 @ 8:05 m/m – 142 BPM Average HR – Pyramid

I try and do this once a week its 1KM, 750M, 500M, 250M, 250M, 500M, 750M, 1KM at 3:50 – 4:00 minute per KM with recovery of 75% of the previous rep.

1KM (3:55.2), 750M (2:55.8), 500M (1:57.0), 250M (00:55.03), 250M (00:54.6), 500M (1:52.5), 750M (2:57.6), 1KM (3:41.6)

At half way I was annoyed at myself for the target pace being way too conservative, these never hurt, I purposely lifter the effort for the second half.

Would people recommend increasing the pace or shortening the recovery or both?

17th – 12.25 @ 8:34 m/m – 143 BPM Average Heart Rate

Running with a friend and again running too fast, this was done early in the morning on a new route on quiet country roads, which was enjoyable. Hiller than I expected with 452 elevation gained, was very tired in the afternoon after this. I need more runs of 10+ miles. Heart rate a bit skewed as HRM was showing 220 BPM at one stage.

18th – 5.01 @ 9:22 m/m – 123 BPM

Just a recovery lap around the town.

Summary of the Week – 48.31 Miles and 7 out of 7 days active – Streak 108 days

A good consistent week, headwind that I’ve been running into the last few months to have finally settled down, thankfully!

Found it difficult this week not having the structure of a plan and just deciding what I was going to do as I laced up the runners, with 6 or so weeks to go before marathon training starts I will need to get structure somewhere. Disappointed that I didn’t get a second pace session in.

I have started to bring a new pair of Zoom Fly Flyknit’s into the mix and will phase out the old pair over the next few weeks.

Booked flights and accommodation for Manchester so fingers crossed that goes ahead, I had hoped to do the Antrim Half but just doesn’t seem feasible, hopefully the Tullamore Half goes ahead which is scheduled for the day before Antrim.

I have pretty much settled on the Hanson method for Manchester, from reading other logs it has had some great results, only things that worry me are the “short” long runs and also the pace of the long runs seem tasty.

I have also booked Manchester just incase Dublin doesn't go ahead!

Very best of luck with the log & the running :)

Thanks very much, will that be your second marathon? I think we were quite similar time wise for Dublin 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks very much, will that be your second marathon? I think we were quite similar time wise for Dublin 2019.

Yes 2nd marathon, have nothing booked for Manchester because I'm really hoping Dublin goes ahead, that's my 1st choice! Ah I was a bit slower than you, finished in 3:42, was thrilled with that but really dying to run my 2nd one now!

So second weekly update incoming!

19th - 3.31 @ 9:02 m/m - 130 BPM

Over indulged the night before and knowing that I was planning to have a couple 2hr + runs this week I didn’t feel too bad about the short distance.

20th - 7.81 @ 7:41 m/m - 141 BPM

The plan for this was a warm up, 5 miles at (dream) half marathon pace and then a cool down.

Warm up 1 mile in 9:03

Run - mile - 6:58 m/m - 143 BPM

6:41 m/m - 148 BPM

6:51 m/m - 150 BPM

6:48 m/m - 158 BPM

6:42 m/m - 161 BPM

Cool down 1.81 @ 9:22 m/m

Happy with this run, took me the first mile to get focused on the task at hand. Again without a plan I only decided what to do as I was getting ready which is annoying as I can’t think about the session ahead of time and select an ideal route. Didn’t wear the New Balance Fuel Cell TC’s just the FlyKnits I started using the previous week.

21st 5.19 @ 8:29 m/m - 132 BPM

Boring miles, more active recovery than anything.

22nd 13.50 @ 8:57 m/m- 134 BPM

I had reason to be in Galway for this run and what an incredible day it was, the sun was splitting the stones and I was severely over dressed in a heavy running jacket!

I started this run around the GMIT campus running down towards Eyre Square, down Shop Street, over the Corrib and I noticed that Monroes had a sign “open everyday 12 - 9” and from that moment on I had my heart set on that being my finish line and getting a takeaway pint and walking back to where I started.

Ran into NUIG along the Corrib a great facility, I went to the end of the trail and turned back exited at the AIB then past the hospital, down Threadneedle road, along the promenade, Mutton Island and then a sprint finish back to Monroe’s.

Where I was met with a closed pub!

23rd 4.01 @ 9:02 m/m - 125 BPM

24th 16.18 @ 8:35 m/m - 137 BPM

A lovely morning for a long run, I ran this with a friend along the disused canal between Kilbeggan and Ballycommon, we went further (and faster) then intended as I wanted to get to the Grand Canal.

The trail isn’t fully completed yet but when it is done it will connect Kilbeggan with the Grand Canal.

Took a gel and some water on this run after dying in the afternoon the previous week from dehydration.

25th 5.28 @ 8:58 m/m - 128 BPM

Summary of the Week – 55.28 Miles and 7 out of 7 days active – Streak 115 days

A consistent week, happy with the speed session on Tuesday, again only one speed session but purposely did this as I had the two long runs in the week.

On course for 200 miles this month and that will be circa 700 miles for the year.

My marathon plan for Manchester starts in the middle of May so still have 6 weeks or so, something I am struggling with at the moment is that the plan starts at low 40 miles (Hanson advanced) does anyone think the drop back from my current mileage will have any influence?

26th - 8.05 @ 8:24 m/m - 138 BPM

Easier to do this update while on the laptop!

After seeing all the 5K races reports coming in and regretting not joining in I decided today would be a speed session.

The session was 12 * 400 repeats @ 6:00 M/M – 6:20 M/M with a 60 second recovery.

The pace was decided using the speed paces guideline in an old Hanson Half Marathon plan and being adventurous as I wanted to feel like I was working during the reps.

The target pace would give reps in the region of 90/95 seconds, put on the New Balance Fuel Cell TC’s and went to the Green Way for this one.

Warm up – 1.36 @ 9:28 m/m

Reps

1 Run 1:31.6

2 Run 1:30.3

3 Run 1:32.8

4 Run 1:27.0

5 Run 1:30.4

6 Run 1:32.0

7 Run 1:31.2

8 Run 1:30.0

9 Run 1:28.7

10 Run 1:27.2

11 Run 1:29.3

12 Run 1:13.2

Warm down – 2.57 @ 9:43 m/m

I worked harder for the last rep and get me thinking I should've done them all at that pace!

Enjoyable session given the weather but again came out with the feeling that it never hurt or that I was really struggling to get to the pace.

A race is badly needed to give me an idea of where I am at prior to commencing the marathon plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the log and the training.

I only have the Hanson's HM book, and that says if you are looking to add mileage to those plans, then the best options are to add mileage on the rest days, or increase the distance of the easy runs by a mile or two. Maybe you can do that until the plan catches up? Or maybe the book advises otherwise? I'd say if you bump that Hanson's thread you'll get an answer fairly quick anyway! And probably whet a few appetities :pac:

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log and the training.

I only have the Hanson's HM book, and that says if you are looking to add mileage to those plans, then the best options are to add mileage on the rest days, or increase the distance of the easy runs by a mile or two. Maybe you can do that until the plan catches up? Or maybe the book advises otherwise? I'd say if you bump that Hanson's thread you'll get an answer fairly quick anyway! And probably whet a few appetities :pac:

Thank you, great to see you back out building up the miles.

I think that's the sensible thing to do, fill any gap in mileage with slow miles.

Now all I need to do is decide what pace to base my training off!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Might be a good idea to do a TT before the marathon plan kicks off, to give you an idea of where you are pace wise. I would try to do as long of a distance as you can, say a 10 mile or HM. Running a 5k or 10k TT might give a false indication of where you're at for longer distances.

I've also seen people who followed Hansons add extra warmup and cool down miles to the weekend long run so they were getting the benefit of a few 20+ milers into their legs

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

So second weekly update incoming!

My marathon plan for Manchester starts in the middle of May so still have 6 weeks or so, something I am struggling with at the moment is that the plan starts at low 40 miles (Hanson advanced) does anyone think the drop back from my current mileage will have any influence?

Hi Unknownability,

Based on your last week of 55 odd miles, dropping back to 40 miles for the first week is not a major drop. It is better to be starting off an 18 week training plan relatively fresh. The Hanson plan is designed to increase cumulative fatigue as the weeks progress, peaking around week 16. So by the time you get there you will probably be thankful of the easier start.

Nice job on the 400m reps. The last one was probably on the hot side. I think the reps in Hanson are planned at 5k-10k pace. How well do your rep paces equate to your current 5k and 10k times? When I do them, I try to jog the recoveries. I think somebody posted on another log before that you should be able to do another 1 or 2 reps at the end, if you had to. That is sound advice in my opinion.

I would be wary of increasing your weekend "long run" beyond the prescribed distance, in particular if this is your first time to follow the Hanson plan. If you want to bump mileage, add it to easy days or consider a recovery run on the rest day. If you have done a couple of marathons before, then there might be merit to increasing the LR distance if you feel it is absolutely necessary.

These are all just my opinions. I have followed the Hanson plan for a few marathons, halfs and 5-10k training.

Enjoying the log!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Treviso wrote: »
    Might be a good idea to do a TT before the marathon plan kicks off, to give you an idea of where you are pace wise. I would try to do as long of a distance as you can, say a 10 mile or HM. Running a 5k or 10k TT might give a false indication of where you're at for longer distances.

I've also seen people who followed Hansons add extra warmup and cool down miles to the weekend long run so they were getting the benefit of a few 20+ milers into their legs

Horses for courses. Those long runs are at a steady pace on fatigued legs. Of the 4 real LRs I did 2x16m and 2x18m. The money in the bank in my opinion on the Hansons Advanced are the MP runs. I added easy miles either side of the interval session or just added 1-2 miles to easy runs

27th – 5.00 @ 9:30 m/m – 120 BPM

Slow recovery run around the town.

28th – 5.07 @ 8:19 m/m – 134 BPM

This was a mile on -Mile off

1 8:45.5

2 7:11.9

3 8:52.8

4 7:12.1

5 9:25.9

29th – 6.26 @ 8:07 m/m - 138 BPM

The plan for this was a warm up and then to try and run a steady tempo run, consisting of a 20 minute 5K, at a consistent 4 minute kilometres.

Warm up – 1.33 @ 9:28 m/m – 111 BPM

Run – 3.11 @ 6:11 m/m – 164 BPM – 19:12.6

Mile 1 – 6:21 – This was pretty much spot on and was feeling very comfortable. (Also my 200th mile for the month)

Mile 2 – 6:10 – This mile went to plan for the first half and then I got it into my head that I could push on get a new unofficial PB, so at the half way turn (out and back course) I lifted the pace.

Mile 3 – 6:04 – Felt strong here and was getting faster and faster as it progressed.

.11 – 0:36 – This was the fastest portion of the run

Warm down – 1.63 @ 10:41 m/m – 130 BPM

This included a 3 minute walk.

30th 3.15 @ 8:56 m/m – 120ish BPM (HRM melt down)

Slow 5K out to the motorway and back.

Monthly Review 205.5 Miles for the month 30 out of 30 days running

Happy with how this month has gone, I feel like I am gaining fitness and running in the correct zones for each type of run.

My hamstring is still 99% fine, I do feel the odd twinge but think that might be just a defensive mechanism I’ve developed in my head to hold back.

It was also my first time to attempt to break my 5K “PB” and even with that I only decided half way through, so I take that as a positive sign for when races do return.

Still no clarity on if Berlin will go ahead, at this stage I would like the option to defer and concentrate fully on Manchester.

Things I would like to improve on in May

Increase the number of 10 mile + runs from 5 to at least 6

Increase mileage from 205.5 miles to 215 miles

Do at least two tempo runs a week

Try and do my long run in a different setting every week

Run everyday

Streak 120 days - 681.7 miles ytd

Treviso wrote: »

Thank you for this, I will hopefully have a chance to do a longer t/t or maybe even a race prior to the plan starting in June. I think that my short distance speed wouldn't translate to my long distance stuff at present.

As Mr Guappa pointed out in his comment my plan at the moment with Hanson is to use the rest days for active recovery rather than complete rest and build miles that way.

One tempo run a week is more than enough I’d say maybe some shorter intervals 400,600,800,1k repeats on another day with a long run and easy miles the rest. It’ll give you a very solid base to work off once marathon training kicks off.

Hi Unknownability,

Based on your last week of 55 odd miles, dropping back to 40 miles for the first week is not a major drop. It is better to be starting off an 18 week training plan relatively fresh. The Hanson plan is designed to increase cumulative fatigue as the weeks progress, peaking around week 16. So by the time you get there you will probably be thankful of the easier start.

Nice job on the 400m reps. The last one was probably on the hot side. I think the reps in Hanson are planned at 5k-10k pace. How well do your rep paces equate to your current 5k and 10k times? When I do them, I try to jog the recoveries. I think somebody posted on another log before that you should be able to do another 1 or 2 reps at the end, if you had to. That is sound advice in my opinion.

I would be wary of increasing your weekend "long run" beyond the prescribed distance, in particular if this is your first time to follow the Hanson plan. If you want to bump mileage, add it to easy days or consider a recovery run on the rest day. If you have done a couple of marathons before, then there might be merit to increasing the LR distance if you feel it is absolutely necessary.

These are all just my opinions. I have followed the Hanson plan for a few marathons, halfs and 5-10k training.

Enjoying the log!!

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

Definitely couldn't have done too many more at 1.13, that's a good tip that you shouldn't be finishing absolutely empty.

In terms of the 400m reps feeding into my 5k time iit is close enough, in Hanson it suggests 1:30 reps for an 18:30 I do feel I'm close to that at the moment.

I do agree I won't be tinkering with the distances on the long run, I'm going to be fully trust the plan it has worked for thousands of people so why should I be any different!

So where does six weeks go to??

As mentioned I was running everyday with no particular goal in mind and to keep ticking over until marathon training kicked in.

This type of running didn’t really lend itself to interesting logging and additionally I kind of fell out of love with running as I felt that I was just doing it for the sake of getting another day added to the streak.

This coincided with a very stressful time with work & college and getting out running was an effort rather than enjoyable.

Monthly review 215.1 miles

Increase the number of 10 mile + runs from 5 to at least 6 – Another 5, but I did have a couple between 9 & 10 miles.

Increase mileage from 205.5 miles to 215 miles – Done

Do at least two tempo runs a week – Kept this at one a week, nothing major

Try and do my long run in a different setting every week – I did this and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Borra Bog – 16 miles @ 8:26 - first thing in the morning when all the birds were waking was amazing, loved every minute of this.

Portlick – 13.25 miles @ 8:35 – this is over oonegative direction and was a mixture of trail running and road running again very enjoyable.

Slieve Blooms – 14.39 miles @ 8:45 – a trail run that involved a lot of climbing and muck, we parked in clonaslee and just ran vertical for a few miles, total climbing was 1,600 feet, I did this in an old pair of Flyknits and I regretted that immediately.

Carn Bog – 12 miles @ 8:23 – this was the shortest of my long runs and we did it locally so got to lie in until 7 J, this was fun running around country roads and we did a strava segment entitled P**s off hill and that is very appropriate – The hill is 0.74km and elevation gain is 56 M and the grade is 7.5% we got a 3:18 which was second on the rank, the legs were like jelly for the 6 miles home.

Ran 31 / 31 days

JUNE Update

So where we are now, as mentioned above I had no interest in running everyday anymore so I stopped on the 5th of June.

I could feel my fitness deteriorating and this was confirmed with a fitness test (bangsbo) where I scored lower than I expected, additionally the aches and pains were starting to mount.

My Hanson marathon plan training starts tomorrow for Manchester, I am looking forward to the structure of it all and will aim to log more often to track where I am at.

I’ve contacted the local athletics club and will be heading down there next week, unfortunately their track sessions are Monday & Wednesday with the Hanson sessions being Tuesday & Thursday I will have to see if this can be accommodated, only thoughts?

All the signs seem to be that Berlin will go ahead as well with no option of deferral so will lose that significant entry fee.

Two new pairs of runners in the past month

Nike Pegasus Trail 2 & React Infinity

Goals for June

Enjoy my running

Follow plan as closely as possible

Go to an athletics session

Cross 1,000 miles for the month

Any chance of a Strava link for the Portlick run, send it via PM if you like.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Any chance of a Strava link for the Portlick run, send it via PM if you like.

Sure, sent it through PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey to answer your question about the Tue/Thu >> Mon/Wed.

Hansons is a 6 day routine. All you need to do is shift it all back a day. Tuesday becomes your rest day, Saturday your LR etc.

However
    1. The Hanson method workout are progressive and tailored to the programme. Swapping in your club sessions may be OK for the initial speed section, but I'd recommend doing the 'strength' workouts as per plan. The goal pace workout, whether you do it Wed or Thu should be as per plan from the start.
    2. If you do shift the routine back a day but still do the LR on Sunday, by week 8-9 it will bite back. The cumulative fatigue will likely be overreaching. The easy days between the SOS days are crucial to managing the fatigue.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Time to brush the cobwebs off this log and hopefully start regularly updating.

I find reading everyone else's helpful so really can't understand why I don't use it as a helpful tool.

One week to go until the plan starts for the Chicago Marathon!

There is definitely a mix of apprehension and excitement of getting back into a structured plan.

I'll be using the Hanson Method which I used for Manchester 2021 where I can home in 3'10.22.

Chicago has a slightly loftier goal of sub 3. I'd be delighted with anything sub 3 but would be greedy and like to be able to enjoy the last few strides in the knowledge the time has been achieved.

Having lived in Chicago for a period of time when I was a child, it's a city that I've always felt I'd unfinished business in. So it would be very sentimental for me to achieve my sub 3 HR marathon there.

I have three target races in the build up to Chicago, Clara 5k, Mullingar 10m and Tullamore 1/2. All pretty much a month apart towards the end of June, July & August respectively.

I've been building a base over the past few months up to 50 miles a week mostly easy trying to get the HR lower that was mostly successful but I've lost my way in the past week or two.

Advertisement