Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Man in the Arena

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

31st of March

6 miles

1 mile warm up & cool down (8:34 & 8:50)

4 miles at pace (6:48, 6:55, 6:48, 6:35)

Ended up running this on a full stomach which wasn't ideal.

Perfect running conditions and body felt good.

No HRM will start using this again.

Post edited by Unknownability on

7 easy miles for the day

Match 1.64 M

Run 5.38 M @ 8:37 m/m

Felt fine, very warm out.

In running related news, did anyone else know that there was a global shortage of dioralyte? Ended up having to buying a generic brand.

21.25 miles on the bike in just over 1hr 20 minutes.

Weather horrible from start to finish, got absolutely drenched.

Something different, I recently purchased a bike so will be using that for some cross training when it suits.

5.25m Trail Run @ 8:10 m/m.

Very enjoyable, fabulous setting and perfect weather.

Quads heavy from yesterday's cycle.

Away for the weekend, so any running will be minimal.

Plans starts Monday, can't wait.

6.3 M Golf Course running @ 8:24 m/m

Decided to get out late tonight, it was fun trying to follow the course while running.

Body feels a small bit lethargic, suppose it's to be expected while away and eating out.

Planned rest day tomorrow, will watch Armagh v Tyrone and have a few pints.

• Advertisement

Hanson Plan #1

6 miles easy, @ 8:28 m/m.

Wasn't as enthusiastic about this as I thought I would be. Felt a slog from start to fiish, just one of those runs you have to get done and move on.

Hanson Plan #2

6 miles easy, @8:23 and 138 BPM.

Felt much more enthusiastic about this one and loved every step. HR 3 or 4 beats high but most likely still getting the weekend out of the system.

Rest day tomorrow.

Hanson Plan #3

6 miles easy @8:19

Enjoyed the run, looking forward to the tougher stuff starting soon.

Niggle free.

Hanson Plan #4

6 miles easy @8:02

Did this run in Athlone on the newest section of the Green Way from Garrycastle to the Shannon. It is really a great facility, somewhat makes up for having no park or green space to run in.

Not the most interesting log at present.

Bought new gear on asics today who are having a sale and Reebok Floatride Energy X Shoes.

If anyone ever needs a discount code for Asics, Adidas, Reebok, Lifestyle or Nike let me know. I can get the through UniDays.

Hanson Plan #5

6 miles easy @8:27

First half of the run was 8:10ish and second half was 8:40ish.

Running into an absolute gale didn't enjoy that and my ears were ringing afterwards.

Excited for tomorrow's change from 6 easy miles to 8 easy miles 😂😂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Pretty fed up with the strong winds myself at the moment!

It really is such a motivation killer, everything feels so much harder and good luck trying to control your heart rate.

The trees seem to be vertical outside the window now, so I'm going to get out and get todays run done.

Hanson Plan #6

8 miles easy @8:10

Got out early to do this on a trail near by.

Run consisted of 4 × 2 mile loops on undulating ground with plenty of mud & rocks.

Effort was higher than I would've expected if I was on the road or the track.

So that's week one complete, only 17 more to go 😕😄.

Week 1

Planned miles 38

Actually miles 38

Week 2 is much the same with a speed session on Tuesday 400m * 12 and the rest of the week easy.

Hanson Plan #6

6 miles easy @ 8:38

Difficult run to fit in didn't get out until after ten and had too many drinks last night so this was one that just had to be endured and completed.

Tomorrow is the start of the speed work, so hopefully calm conditions.

Hanson Plan #7

Speed Work - 12 × 400m with 200m recovery.

I was looking forward to this one to break up the cycle of continuous slow runs. Got out early and did this on the Green Way, conditions were perfect.

I wore the Nike Zoom Tempo %, I've had issues with them previously cutting one of my heels but that seems to have resolved itself.

The intervals ranged from 1:22 - 1:29 with the slowest one being the first and fastest one being the last. I was probably a small bit generous with the recovery as it was the first session I was doubting the ability to get them all done.

All in this session was 7.98 miles at an average pace of 7:57 m/m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Best of luck with the current training block and the sub 3 attempt.

I'm curious if you have changed anything in your approach to this Hanson's marathon block or were you happy enough with how it all panned out the last time and don't plan to change a thing and just follow it through as before?

Thank you for stopping by and for your good wishes.

That is a very interesting question and the answer is I will tweek somethings.

When I used it last time I trained for a 3'15 and came home in 3'10. During that plan I made one or two small changes. I ran the speed work and strength work faster than the prescribed times. Those workouts were done closer to sub 3 hour paces. Secondly, I added an extra 2 miles onto the 16 milers twice (which everyone seems to do).

Chnages I will make this time:

1. I will follow the plan as closely as possible, I'd estimate that I did 85ish% of the runs for Manchester. I'll try get this to 95% or so.

2. I am racing three times in this block compared to zero last time (covid). 5k, 10m and Half. As someone who has raced less than 5 times since they started running I think the experience will help me.

3. My intention is to run the long runs on a Sunday in the middle of the prescribed paces (6:54 - 7:48). Last plan I pretty much ran them at the lower end which was nearly the same as my easy pace.

4. As previous, I will add 2 miles to some of those long runs. From reading other people's blogs I may copy the idea of maybe running some (2-5) of the miles of long runs at race pace.

5. I'll follow a pacer, I've never done that before and feel it will help me concentrate.

6. Fully focused on task. In Manchester I got too caught up with the crowd and was running from one side of the road to the other giving people high 5's. Plan is engage with crowd but not at the cost of energy or focus.

7. All gear will be locked down by the midway point of the plan*. Last plan I introduced a runner for tempo sessions I'd never used before and got a cut on my achilles, that definitely hampered the last three weeks of the plan. *excluding the shoes I decide to wear in the marathon. I'll buy a new pair a month out and use them for my final three 10 mile runs at PMP, an 18 mile run and then the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I can't remember if the Hanson's marathon plan explain why they don't encourage racing while they don't mind it for the first half of their half-marathon plan. Perhaps it was simply the recovery needed from racing throwing the plan out of whack.

Seems like you know what works for you. The journey will be interesting.

Hanson Plan #8

6 miles easy @8:08

Enjoyabke run in the heat listening to the final episode of GUBU, I'd recommend this podcast. Deals with the Malcom McArthur case.

Yesterday I did 50 or so minutes on the bike as a way to stretch the legs.

I've been dealing with tendonitis in my right hamstring since shortly before DCM 2019 flares up every now and then. I felt the first small niggle on Tuesday so I've set up regular appointments with the Physio.

Rubs and shockwave treatment kept me on the straight and narrow for Manchester so will employ similar tactics this time around.

Just over a week in and I need to start juggling the schedule around already!

I'm on a stag this Saturday so will switch the Saturday and Sunday runs around. That will see me do 8m Saturday morning and 6m (hopefully) Sunday.

My first race is also next Friday a 5k in Clara. That will see me replace the scheduled 6m @ PMP on Thursday with 6m easy and then the race will substitute the PMP session.

In terms of the race itself I believe I've only ever done one or two chipped 5ks in the docklands 5-10 years ago with no recollection of times now.

The Hanson plan suggests a time of 18:43 correlates to a sub 3 marathon so I think that will be my aim. So depending on how that effort feels it may or may not be a race effort. My thinking behind that is I don't want to risk the entire plan for a few seconds faster and need a longer recovery.

Hanson Plan #9

6 miles easy @8:24 HR 136

Muggy, wet and windy

These 6 mile easy runs are getting a small bit repetitive!

Reebok Floatride Energy X arrived today and also ordered another pair.

That's the runners locked down:

Easy Runs - Nike FlyKnit will be replaced in the next month or so by Novablast 2.

Tempo - Nike Air Zoom Tempo NEXT%

Marathon Pace - Nike Nike Air Zoom Alpha Fly NEXT%

Long Runs - Reebok Floatride Energy X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Good luck with the plan. I'll be following this with interest as I'm about to begin the Hanson plan myself in preparation for Amsterdam. I had great success with their half-marathon plan earlier this year. Their plans are pretty repetitive but I enjoy the simplicity of them. Like yourself though, I'll be adding a few extra miles to some of the long runs.

Hanson Plan #10

8.32 miles easy @8:15 133HR

Got this done nice and early.

I wore the Reebok Floatride Energy X, really liked them. HR was 5/10 BPM lower than I would've expected on certain parts of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

That's great you like them too, I've already racked up 50 miles in them including a decent long run today. New favourite shoe.

Thanks again for the code regarding 2nd pair

Fell off the wagon slightly, the stag was a small bit extended!

As such I missed the rearranged Sunday run and the fixed Monday run both of which were a scheduled 6 miles easy.

That brought me to Tuesday

Hanson Plan #13

8 miles total including 8 * 600 m at sub 2'15. These ranged from 2'11 - 2'14. Happy enough with the session it helped get the weekend out of the system.

Also before that run I refereed a match and that was 3.34m giving a total of 11.34 m for the day.

Today

Hanson Plan #12

6 miles easy @8:30 m/m this was Mondays missed session. Felt tougher than it should've was dehydrated which never helps.

Tomorrow is the planned start of marathon pace running but as I've scheduled to race a 5k on Friday I won't be doing that session.

I have been thinking about not racing as I've no interest in a good 5k time my interest is solely on Chicago.

So I may decide tomorrow to stick as per the plan.

No problem at all, they really were a bargain for €75 odd.

As mentioned unidays have codes for most companies so just let me know if you need another one.

Thank you very much for the good wishes.

As you've mentioned I really do enjoy the simplicity of the plans. You're no second guessing yourself half way though runs wondering if you're at the right pace.

Having read the books and listened to interviews the philosophy behind it has really clicked with me.

Hanson Plan #15

6 miles easy @8:28 m/m. Did this earlier than I would've liked, very warm out.

Went to the physio and got my hamstring looked at, felt better after it.

I've decided I'll do the 5k twice tomorrow at PMP to make up my scheduled 6m at pace.

Hanson Plan #14

1m W/U 6m @ 6:48 1m C/D

All in 8:25m for the evening.

First marathon pace run of the training block, this incorporated the Clara 5k.

It was an enjoyable run and was good to have the feel of a race.

Felt tougher than I'd have liked but to be expected after a heavy weekend and it being the first one.

A disappointing week 3

Saturday I only had time for 3 miles rather than the scheduled easy 6.

Sunday missed the tempo 10m all together. Had the best of intentions with this one and was going to run it some where new. Unfortunately the event I was at ran over and I wouldn't have been able to start this until after 9pm.

Very disappointed in myself and need to knuckle down or say goodbye to Chicago.

I will switch the 10m tempo I missed for one of next weekends slow runs.

I'll be in Limerick City next weekend so any recommendations of parks or greenways would be appreciated.

Also is there a runnung route along the banks of the Shannon?

• Advertisement

Monday

6m easy @8:37 and then I did 3.5m in a match giving 9.5m for the day.

Tuesday - Speed session.

800m * 6 @5:56 with 1m WU & CD total was 7.5m

I thought I'd judged the weather perfectly but just as I got to half way the heavens opened. The shoes I had on seemed quite slippy on the surface and the lack of traction certainly made it tougher.

All intervals were spot on and sub 3 minutes. The GPS went haywire at the start and also for one of the recoveries it was showing me as running 18 minute miles. It seemed to correct itself every so often.

Today is a rest day.

Plan for the rest of the week is;

Thursday 6 miles @ PMP and 1m WU & CD

Friday 6 easy

Saturday 10 tempo (this is last Sundays run)

Sunday 6 easy.

Plan is to do the tempo run before heading to Limerick and then the 6 easy in Limerick. It'll be easier to plod along for 6 than to find a route for 10.

Tendonitis feels fine and booked in for a leg "rub" next Friday. After the pain subsides I find it really improves my stride and running form.

Advertisement