Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Man in the Arena

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Today Chicago Marathon - Hanson Plan #19

1m W/U 6m @ 6:48 1m C/D

Woke up very early and couldn't get back to sleep so got up and got this run done.

Perfect conditions for running. Enjoyed this, it always takes me a mile or so to get the pace plugged into the legs but after that it seems routine.

Post edited by Unknownability on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck with all this.

But I'm confused - Tempo means Marathon Pace in Hanson talk so not sure that that planned Saturday carryover from last week is? If you mean the Sunday 'steady' long run, I don't think there's any need to swap that in for an easier one, I'd just offer it up and carry on with the schedule. In my book Week 3 has a 10 mile Long Run (at 'steady' rather than easy pace) anyway?

Also, how are you determining the pace for your sessions?

Thank you very much, best of luck with your training and hopefully I'll see you in Chicago.

You are correct, I am using the terms tempo & long run interchangeably which is incorrect.

The reason I do that is that I'm hoping to run those long runs between 30-60 seconds slower than PMP.

Steady is a better word to describe the pace and one I'll use going forward.

Last Sunday I missed the 10 mile long run, so the plan is to do that run this coming Saturday as replacement for the scheduled 8 mile easy.

I've based all paces off my personal estimate of my 5k time at the start of the plan which was between 18:30 & 18:45.

I am going for a V02 max test in a University lab on Tuesday so that'll feed into my training also.

Thank you for the questions as it prompted me to get the book back out.

Post edited by Unknownability on

Have you read the book? Hanson Long Run pace is 40 secs per mile SLOWER than marathon pace, not faster! Careful now...

Hahha, who says that words don't matter!

That should of course have said slower rather than faster.

I have read it and actually have a spare used copy of the older edition if anyone would like it.

• Advertisement

That's better!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

"Last Sunday I missed the 10 mile long run, so the plan is to do that run this coming Saturday as replacement for the scheduled 8 mile easy."

Good to see another Hanson plan starting. I've used it a few times, successfully.

Couple of comments if I may:-

If you miss a session/run I suggest just move on and don't try and run it the following week. It'll only have a knock on effect and may ruin your sessions the week after. I suggest just run the 8 easy on sat and sun as per program ( assuming you're in wk 4) so you're sharp for following week. As a general note, missing one or two runs is ok but you can't make it a habit .

The program starts off nice and gentle and you may think its easy and tinker with paces. Don't be tempted. The program works. By weeks 9/10, assuming you've ran per program, you'll realise how tough it can be.

For the thursday mp runs, be careful not to start them at your goal mp. You can build into it over the weeks. I see you're due a VO2 test soon. Will you be doing a lactate test as that would be beneficial to determine your HR for marathon pace. I know hanson doesn't encourage training by hr but I found that information very useful myself and in fact used my marathon hr (2-2.5 mmol) as a guide to those thursday paces for first 10 or so weeks. In my case my marathon pace (for the same hr) went from 7:30min/m in week 1 to 6:50min/m in week 10.

For the long runs ( which from memory are run at MP +40secs) why feel the need to add miles. I know a few have done it but it's already a tough enough session cos you'll be on tired legs ( particularly after the mp runs). I stuck to the 16 miles max distance and can assure you it works.

Finally get loads of sleep. You'll need it.

Have fun and enjoy the training.

Thanks for the questions, I'll respond fully later on but just a quick one on the marathon pace runs.

I've started the marathon pace runs last week and have done both at 6'49.

What is the thinking behind not running these at marathon pace from the start?

1/07 6 miles easy @8:19

02/07 8 miles easy @8:16 did this early before leaving from Limerick.

03/07 8 miles easy @8:16 did this in Limerick along the canal, what a lovely place to run early morning.

Week 3 summary - all runs complete exactly as planned totalling 50 odd miles for the week. I felt strong on both the speed session and PMP run. Also managed to buy two unnecessary pairs of runners 🙄. I've so many runners now I'll probably start using the Reebok Floatride Energy X on my easy runs.

Week 4 got off to a bad start, I'd planned on doing 6 miles easy after the Pro Am but after standing on a golf course for nearly 12 hrs my legs and back were aching. So I took a rest day Monday and will do Mondays run Wednesday (today).

05/07 5 * 1k @3'41 total 7.25m

I wore my Nike tempo % for these as normal. The noise they make was really starting to annoy me so whem I got home I investigated and realised the air bubble was burst and the noise was air going on and out.

Had no intention of doing this but the person I run with returned from holidays and was up for it so got this done just after 10 pm. A nice work out to get the weekend out of the system (something I'm saying too frequently).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

The Tempo% are well known to develop issues with the air pods. Normally they tear/crack underneath the sole just before the pods - a few logs in here have pictures uploaded

Depending on how long you have them, you might be able to return them to Nike and get a replacement

• Advertisement

Easy 6m @8:19

You've described exactly what has happened mine a crack along the bubble. Unfortunately I usually store my runners for 9-12mths before using them. So I doubt it will work but I'll give it a try.

Thank you for suggesting to get in touch with Nike. They agreed to a return and a full refund even though I'd purchased the runners in November 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Great to hear that - now to spend that money on their replacement 😀

07/07 1m W/U 6m @ 6:45 1m C/D tough session didn't do this until 21:30 and after doing a match beforehand. Wasn't a great idea.

Total 11.5m for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Fair play for getting it done at that time and in those circumstances. Did the same session myself yesterday but in mid-afternoon and found it tough enough with the humidity. Do you use the same route every week for these or do you mix it up? I tend to use the same loop so I can compare pace and effort from week to week.

Which marathon are you training for?

When I last used Hanson I used the exact same locations when doing speed work and the PMP runs for the exact reasons you mentioned.

This time has been different and I've used different locations for various reasons, ideally I'll be able to settle down to one route in the coming days.

I'm not looking forward to this Thursdays run at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'm training for Amsterdam on 16 October so you're probably a week ahead of me on the plan.

Yeah, the Thursday session does kind of loom over the week, especially as the distance stretches out.

Advertisement