Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Deposit Question

Options
  • 12-04-2021 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Would really appreciate thoughts on this one.

I originally purchased my current property (small house) as a non resident landlord and due to rules at the time had to put in a considerable deposit and pay quite a high interest rate. I am now back in Ireland, living at the property and recently completed a remortgage process during which I released some of the equity of the property as a top up mortgage. My new LTV is 55% and the more favourable interest rate means my monthly mortgage payment is pretty much exactly the same but I have a bit of cash released from the property.

I am now considering buying a bigger family home and keeping the current property as a rental. I would like to use some of the equity released funds to complement my deposit for the new property. BOI have approved in principle the new mortgage for me but say I cannot use these extra funds from equity release as part of new property (BOI are not involved in existing mortgage at all). I also have approval in principle from KBC who have not specifically stated any restrictions in relation to use of the additional funds however I am concerned that they may highlight this later in the process.

Does anyone know if this is typically an issue with banks here and is it a regulatory requirement or down to bank discretion. TBH, I didn't originally do the equity release with intention of using it for a new property but now that I have it I would like to go this route as if available for use it would just about save me from having to sell current property.

Advertisement