Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent house with timber extension

Options
  • 13-04-2021 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any regulations on letting out a stone built property that has an extension that is entirely a timber structure? or just out of curiosity a house built entirely from timber i.e a log cabin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

As long as it meets the minimum rental property standards and it has planning permission as a residential building (i.e. it isn't an unpermitted shed, agricultural building, or some other legally uninhabitable building), there are no special regulations as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dto001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any regulations on letting out a stone built property that has an extension that is entirely a timber structure? or just out of curiosity a house built entirely from timber i.e a log cabin?

Thanks

Does it have planning and is it up to building regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

I'm just thinking of extending a 2 bed I have with one of the LOG house extensions being sold online. I'm assuming they are up to building standards as they are selling 2 - 4 bed house's
    eg. <SNIP> (I have nothing to do with these just an example)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm assuming they are up to building standards as they are selling 2 - 4 bed house's
    eg. <SNIP> (I have nothing to do with these just an example)

That's really not a safe assumption to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

How would you find out if a company is up to building standards?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How would you find out if a company is up to building standards?

For the type of 'building' you have in mind it's almost universally safe to assume it's not.

That type of building is great for a man cave, games room, workshop, studio etc. Not for habitable accommodation regardless of the room descriptions.

Advertisement