Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due September 2021

Options
  • 13-04-2021 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Apologies if a thread of the same topic has been created already; a quick search didn't reveal one!

I am due the very end of September with leanbh no.1!
    I'm almost 16 weeks and due to have a GP/ Nurse appointment for check up and whooping cough vaccine. I'm just wondering is it standard practice to check the heartbeat with a doppler at this appointment? I've about 5 weeks until the 'big scan' and I'm in that anxious/ in limbo stage where I'm not feeling overly pregnant and wondering is everything OK! I don't want to have to go for an unnecessary private scan just to calm my nerves but would love the reassurance of the heartbeat even.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

I'm a first timer too and had a 16 week check up with my GP on Monday (and also got the whooping cough and flu vaccines done) and my GP did a quick measurement of fundal height and also used the Doppler thingy to listen to the heart beat (or heart beats in my case!). I hadn't been sure if it was going to happen, so was delighted to get the reassurance.
    Also, don't be an eejit like me. Being a urine sample and your patient folder (if you're hospital still does a hard copy of that) with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rwalshie

I had my whooping cough vaccine last week no other checks done but due to see the midwife next week for all those checks. I should've asked for check for heartbeat but I feel baby kicking so should be ok. What are you thinking in relation to getting the covid jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

rwalshie wrote: »
    I had my whooping cough vaccine last week no other checks done but due to see the midwife next week for all those checks. I should've asked for check for heartbeat but I feel baby kicking so should be ok. What are you thinking in relation to getting the covid jab?

I was due to have my whooping cough first at 16+5 but my GP recommended I hold off until about 28 weeks. He explained it but I didn't quite grasp it!
    Heard the heartbeat quietly beating quickly under my own ðŸ˜
    He mentioned the covid vaccine and said he feels that pregnant women will be asked to take the vaccine over the next few months. According to him, its not the type of vaccine that can cross the placenta. I was against getting it but I was swayed a little today. He just said the impact of covid would be so much more dangerous. Food for thought.

Advertisement