Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a new secure email address

Options
  • 13-04-2021 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of people I have had 5 or 6 different email addresses over the years,some work related and some personal.....even had to create one or two to complete work related training courses eg a gmail account a few years ago.Currently have a gmail account for work and a yahoo account for more personal stuff.
    Also like other people I have long since forgotten the passwords to one or two!

I would like to set up a new personal email account that would not require any interaction with my current personal yahoo account to set it up.Is it possible to set up a new account these days without having to give a backup email address or phone number etc while creating it.
    Would people recommend one platform over another...eg Yahoo,gmail,outlook etc and if so why?

Thanks for any replies in next day or two as need to get one set up asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Have a look at protonmail, recovery email address is optional iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

bodonnell wrote: »

Thanks.....appreciate your reply.

bodonnell wrote: »

Thanks......Looked up protonmail....seems to be very secure,I'm not the greatest with technology .....protonmail 'doesn't offer 'Pop3 services' for forwarding mail from another address'.In plain laymans terms does that mean that you cannot forward an email you got from someone using likes of yahoo for email to a third party via protonmail?....if that was the case that would not be great at all but I may well have misunderstood this?

The free version offers 500MB of mailbox storage....would be mainly ordinary emails I would be receiving and sending with maybe an odd one with attachments.
    Would only be sending/receiving a few emails per day.Would 500 MB of storage be sufficient for that level of email traffic?
    Need to set up this address today.

Really appreciate any replies asap to my few queries about the Pop 3 services query and if memory capacity of free version would be ok for my needs from more accomplished posters on this forum.

Really appreciate if anyone could answer my couple of queries as have to get account set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

you can create as many gmail accounts as you like, not required to enter recovery addresses

• Advertisement

eusap wrote: »
    you can create as many gmail accounts as you like, not required to enter recovery addresses

Thanks ....what would be your understanding of protonmail not offering 'Pop 3 service' for forwarding messages from another address?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

iCloud email accounts allow the use of three proxies which keep the original account safe and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I use protonmail. No POP3 just means you have to log in from a browser, not use a standalone mail client like Thunderbird. You can forward stuff no problem. They do a paid service also, if you need more than 500MB, but it should be plenty for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

protonmail 'doesn't offer 'Pop3 services' for forwarding mail from another address'.In plain laymans terms does that mean that you cannot forward an email you got from someone using likes of yahoo for email to a third party via protonmail?....if that was the case that would not be great at all but I may well have misunderstood this?

POP3 is an email server protocol. POP3 and IMAP allows emails to be accessed via a third party app, it's a nice-to-have feature but not needed to use it as a functional email account. You can do all you need to do from a web browser.

Forwarding to or from proton works the same as any other webmail service.

The free version offers 500MB of mailbox storage....would be mainly ordinary emails I would be receiving and sending with maybe an odd one with attachments.
    Would only be sending/receiving a few emails per day.Would 500 MB of storage be sufficient for that level of email traffic?

Text only email would be small...maybe 0.1MB. Attachments of text documents might be 1-2MB. If you reach the 500MB limit, then you'll have to save the emails you need to keep by saving the webpage and download attachments to local hard drive. Then delete emails to make space for newer emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭in2dark

Im using runbox for my business emails. Very happy with it.

I see all my emails on thunderbird or android phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Thanks for any replies in next day or two as need to get one set up asap.

mail.com your best bet over 100 different domain extension to choose from

POP, IMAP, WEB
    Check it out
    https://signup.mail.com/#.1258-header-signup2-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Take a look at Zoho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I too use Protonmail Visionary. Fantastic service and I'd never go back to a free email provider. If you want a very cheap email address, you could just rent out a shared web hosting package from any of the Irish providers. You can even choose your own domain name. All for no more than about €50 per year.

The one I use [before I had Proton] was €50 [ex vat I think] a year which included 10GB storage, unlimited email address [one for each of the family] over up to 10 different domains of your choosing. It also included a free domain name registration. For a fiver a month, it was a no brainer. Build your own website too, if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gmak2442

You can search on duckduckgo and you can find another mail client such as Gmail and Yahoo. Search for alternative to gmail.

I also suggest fastmail.com not as powerful as Gmail but acceptable.

Advertisement