Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan to release nuclear wastewater into ocean

Options
  • 13-04-2021 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1381781703711199237?s=20

Japan has approved a plan to release more than one million tonnes of contaminated water from the destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant into the sea.
    The US government expressed its support.

So next time when US and Japan wanna talk about environment : go feck yourself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oh no, not again

Godzilla.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The release of water is going to happen over decades and is meant to start in 2 years time, issue is they're unable to filter out Tritium, which has low penetrating power compared to other radioactive elements, it can't pierce human skin, but could find it's way into the food chain. The release is similar to other nuclear plants, but at a much higher volume.

The older reactor types will hopefully start getting turned off and replaced with Gen3+ plants over the next couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

We'd better increase our Carbon Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Canonfan wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1381781703711199237?s=20

Japan has approved a plan to release more than one million tonnes of contaminated water from the destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant into the sea.
    The US government expressed its support.

So next time when US and Japan wanna talk about environment : go feck yourself!

What do you think they should do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Milanative

don't bother asking they never have an answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The environmental impact of this is unimaginably small. Like burying a cow carcass in the Sahara Desert, small.

This is one of the big issues with a lot of environmental groups; they really can't see the wood for the trees and waste time fighting things which don't really have any grand impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There is background radiation in the ocean anyways, and since this has been filtered of most of the radioactive material, it wont have a huge affect on anything really.

sell it to the Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Well, if they think it's safe to release into the ocean, they can drink or put into industrial use.

Well, if they think it's safe to release into the ocean, they can drink or put into industrial use.

Instead of discharging treated wastewater into the ocean, why dont we just drink it or use it industrially?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    The environmental impact of this is unimaginably small. Like burying a cow carcass in the Sahara Desert, small.

This is one of the big issues with a lot of environmental groups; they really can't see the wood for the trees and waste time fighting things which don't really have any grand impact.

It doesn't matter big impact or small, the point is if other country did the same, the attitude of US government might be different.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Instead of discharging treated wastewater into the ocean, why dont we just drink it or use it industrially?

I don't have a problem with treated wastwater, as long as it's not NUCLEAR ****, you can tell me it's safe but I don't care. I'm sure there are people like me.

I don't have a problem with treated wastwater, as long as it's not NUCLEAR ****, you can tell me it's safe but I don't care. I'm sure there are people like me.

You have no idea what nuclear is do you?

The Earths ocean is naturally radioactive, albeit at very low concentrations.
    Deuterium is abundant in our ocean and is radioactive
    A very low concentration of tritium released into the worlds oceans is a non-event.

timmyntc wrote: »
    You have no idea what nuclear is do you?

The Earths ocean is naturally radioactive, albeit at very low concentrations.
    Deuterium is abundant in our ocean and is radioactive
    A very low concentration of tritium released into the worlds oceans is a non-event.

Sure I have no idea what nuclear is, if it's non-event no need for the likes of BBC and NY Times to report then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm.sure there are others like you

There are also people who believe the earth is flat and nothing will convince them they are wrong either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

To keep the three damaged reactor cores from melting, cooling water is pumped through them continuously.

The water is then sent through a powerful filtration system that is able to remove all of the radioactive material except for tritium, an isotope of hydrogen that experts say is not harmful to human health in small doses.

There are now about 1.25 million tons of wastewater stored in more than 1,000 tanks at the plant site. The water continues to accumulate at a rate of about 170 tons a day, and releasing all of it is expected to take decades.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/world/asia/japan-fukushima-wastewater-ocean.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Is it really a surprise, they still hunt and kill whales regardless of law

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is it really a surprise, they still hunt and kill whales regardless of law

They now have a Green Jacket to boot:D

The good thing about it is that we are being told, unlike here when tonnes of turds get pumped into a blue flag beach

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

They now have a Green Jacket to boot:D

The good thing about it is that we are being told, unlike here when tonnes of turds get pumped into a blue flag beach

The tonnes of raw sewage we pump into bays has a far more negative impact than the millions of tonnes of treated "radioactive" water the japanese are releasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

simpsons-three-eyed-fish-vector-thumb-275x195.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Canonfan wrote:

Have you any idea how much easier there is in the oceans?
    Canonfan wrote:

If you don't care then your opinion hardly matters then.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,018 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sure I have no idea what nuclear is, if it's non-event no need for the likes of BBC and NY Times to report then.

Big scary headlines sell newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

I volunteer the OP to be sent over to Japan to drink it all. Problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

bmwfan wrote: »
    simpsons-three-eyed-fish-vector-thumb-275x195.jpg

Blinky is an evolutionary leap, not a "hideous genetic mutation". And with a taste that can't be beaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Fire it into space and release it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

They need to nuke the waste water, that'll teach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

They report it because permanently outraged people such as yourself generate clicks and revenue.

Mod please lock/delete this thread, I'm going back to <Bargain Alerts>. Can't take it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Mod please lock/delete this thread, I'm going back to <Bargain Alerts>. Can't take it anymore.

Boards.ie equivalent to a rage quit on FIFA.

Advertisement