Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Bills

Options
  • 13-04-2021 11:17am
    Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

4 bed house with 2 adults and 2 toddlers, monthly bill is working out at roughly €150-160.

I would expect our usage to be higher than average, and given we have toddlers the washing machine is going a lot and the dryer on a regular enough basis. I'd also expect a pandemic premium since we're home pretty much 24/7 now.

Heating is gas, we have solar panels for water though.

This seemed higher than I expected. Am I just out of touch with prices at the moment?

What do others pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Small 3 bed house 2 adults 2 teenagers.
    Bill is about 110 a month.
    Is your shower electrically heated?

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

vandriver wrote: »
    Small 3 bed house 2 adults 2 teenagers.
    Bill is about 110 a month.
    Is your shower electrically heated?

No, no electric showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

3 bed house, 2 adults with an EV doing 35,000kms a year bills are €110-€120 per month.

I work from home but have a 1.5kw solar that contributes to the daily usage.

What's your unit rate? That's the easiest way of knowing if you're overpaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

4 bed house, 2 adults, 2 young children (2 & 5). The washing machine, dryer, dishwasher all get a lot of use. TV, ipads etc all get used nearly continuously and we like cooking, baking etc.

Both adults working from home but still only about €120 per month.

Your bill does seem high - assume you are already using LED lightbulbs etc?

4 bed house, 2 adults, 2 young children (2 & 5). The washing machine, dryer, dishwasher all get a lot of use. TV, ipads etc all get used nearly continuously and we like cooking, baking etc.

Both adults working from home but still only about €120 per month.

Your bill does seem high - assume you are already using LED lightbulbs etc?

Yea LED light bulbs etc.

Might have to get one of those plugs that track usage to see if I can track the culprit.

What is odd is that when we look at our usage it's not constant from month to month. It's up then down then up then down again but it's working out as high on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭browne_rob5

3 bed house, 2 adults, 1 toddler. 1 adult working from home and last bill was €60 per month but less in summer. We have solar panels and our heat and water is gas. We have a heat pump tumble dryer and that seems to use very little energy. They are more expensive but pay for themselves quickly.

If you have a smart meter and are with Electric Ireland you can get an hourly breakdown of your electricity use.

Let's say your last bill,could you post the number of units and standing charge cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Strong possibility that ur bill was estimated rather than read, it'll be balanced up +or - when it's read, might only be 2-4 times in the 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

are you doing a yearly average?

I got like 40 euros for the first two months (15th-Nov to 15th-Jan) and then 460 from 15th-Jan to 15th-March

madness but I guess I used my storage heaters in an wrong way

average is... 130monthly, 3bed-2bathroom apartment, all electric (no gas/solar stuff)

Let's say your last bill,could you post the number of units and standing charge cost?

5th Feb - 9th April

1464 units @ 19.38 cent per unit.

It's not an estimate, we have a smart meter and the bill says actual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

4 bed bungalow with 4 adults all at home every day.
    no gas at all. Heating, cooking, showers all on electric.
    Summer months (April - Sep) usually €50 - 60pm, Winter months (Oct - March) average €110pm.
    Have a new EV so that will probably put the price up by €10pm from now on.
    BER is D.

awec wrote: »
    4 bed house with 2 adults and 2 toddlers, monthly bill is working out at roughly €150-160.

I would expect our usage to be higher than average, and given we have toddlers the washing machine is going a lot and the dryer on a regular enough basis. I'd also expect a pandemic premium since we're home pretty much 24/7 now.

Heating is gas, we have solar panels for water though.

This seemed higher than I expected. Am I just out of touch with prices at the moment?

What do others pay?

Put a smart plug on the dryer. My bet is thats where most of your money is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

5th Feb - 9th April

1464 units @ 19.38 cent per unit.

It's not an estimate, we have a smart meter and the bill says actual.

Your unit rate seems high, my day rate is 17.12c incl VAT.

I just checked bonkers and energia are offering 14.19c with a €198 standing charge.

When did you last change supplier?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Your unit rate seems high, my day rate is 17.12c incl VAT.

I just checked bonkers and energia are offering 14.19c with a €198 standing charge.
    When did you last change supplier?

We're with Energia since April 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

awec wrote:

Get your usage over the last twice months and put it into bonkers to see what cheaper deals you can get as your 12 months are up

• Registered Users Posts: 24 str8y

Your discounted rate has ceased as you've been on it 12 months. I presume thats the reason for the sudden jump in bills. Change supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bonkey_Donker

str8y wrote: »
    Your discounted rate has ceased as you've been on it 12 months. I presume thats the reason for the sudden jump in bills. Change supplier.

Or ring Energia and ask for a new rate. This is what I did and they gave me the new customer rate straight away. Given how easy it is to change suppliers it is not in their interest to play silly buggers with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 str8y

Or ring Energia and ask for a new rate. This is what I did and they gave me the new customer rate straight away. Given how easy it is to change suppliers it is not in their interest to play silly buggers with you.

2019 as a new customer Bord Gais had the best deal discount was 20% or so.
    They offered a 10% discount upon contact expiration.
    2010 moved to Ibderbola, 23% discount plus good cash back offer.
    2021 moved to Energia, 40% discount.
    If Energia offer me the same discount for year 2 I would stay probably with them, yes, but always good to check all other offers first before committing I think.
    (Electricity only, 5500kwh yearly.)

str8y wrote: »
    2019 as a new customer Bord Gais had the best deal discount was 20% or so.
    They offered a 10% discount upon contact expiration.
    2010 moved to Ibderbola, 23% discount plus good cash back offer.
    2021 moved to Energia, 40% discount.
    If Energia offer me the same discount for year 2 I would stay probably with them, yes, but always good to check all other offers first before committing I think.
    (Electricity only, 5500kwh yearly.)

Exactly the same ourselves.
    Only problem is that every year i call the provider and ask will they keep the discount and unit rate the same if i dont move.
    And they always offer me less than i would get by just changing.
    So i change and then do the same dance again next year.

Such a waste of everyones time. They should just let things stay as they are instead of letting me move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

moved to energia in November (probably not my best move, moving in winter it's hard to see the cost saving). I'm a 4 bed, heat pump house, no solar, no EV and two adults both working from home. Biggest draw would be the tumble dryer which would be used maybe 2-4 times a week depending on the weather.

I do level pay which takes €65 per month out of my account (to stop shock bills), my current bill for Jan-Feb is €240, so my level pay will rise when they recalculate it (every 4 months), I kinda prefer this way of paying cause whilst I know the amount I pay a month will change every four months or so, it's usually in the ball park of €65-100 rather than going from a €240~ bill in winter months to a €120 bill in summer months.

Advertisement