Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using leylandi as mulch

Options
  • 13-04-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am just looking for opinions on using leylandi as mulch.

I have just planted a green beech hedge. Approx 70 metres long.
    I will be finishing a garden up to it next month. I was thinking of laying cardboard around it and then a good 3/4 inch covering of mulch to keep all weeds at bay as it establishes over the next 18/24 months.
    I kept the hedge out approx 3ft from the fence so I have plenty of room to lay a good covering of cardboard & mulch behind and in front of the hedge.

I can get a trailer load of leylandi mulch delivered for very good price but I am concerned as I have read when they are in the ground they are acidic and can damage the soil and other plants.
    Would the same apply if I used them as mulch?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have used leylandii as mulch before, i don't think i experienced any ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

i have used leylandii as mulch before, i don't think i experienced any ill effects.

Super. Thanks for that.
    I spoke to a seasoned gardener the other day who confirmed the same, although they said the mulch they use wasn't 100% leylandii it certainly had a good shot in it!
    I might mix it with some farmyard manure and go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not sure the manure is a good idea, it will encourage weeds. Put it under the mulch maybe, but I reckon hedges are better left to fend for themselves as far as extra feeding goes.

looksee wrote: »
    Not sure the manure is a good idea, it will encourage weeds. Put it under the mulch maybe, but I reckon hedges are better left to fend for themselves as far as extra feeding goes.

Thanks, I was more thinking of using the manure to minimise any potential negative impact from the leylandii as opposed for feeding purposes.
    It's a good point on the weeds though.
    I might just chance the cardboard and leylandii mulch so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jashar99

I need for manure, I have used lots of leylandi mulch over cardboard, and topped with a little bark, it makes it more economical than just bark

• Advertisement

jashar99 wrote: »
    I need for manure, I have used lots of leylandi mulch over cardboard, and topped with a little bark, it makes it more economical than just bark

I've started to put it out over cardboard. I spoke to a good few different people and the general consensus is it wont do any harm.
    Fingers crossed.

Advertisement