Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Entrance Fob Problem

Options
  • 13-04-2021 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have a very odd problem. I live in an apartment and the main door has a keypad to open. So anyone who knows the code can enter.
    Now the management company is changing it to a fob key. So you need a fob to enter, which is more secure. The problem is that, there's no intercom or buzzer system in the apartment. I have to walk down to main door every time I have a visitor.
    Any idea what I can do in this situation, legally? The management company is extremely ****ty and they don't understand the problem here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gzckrg wrote: »
    Any idea what I can do in this situation, legally? The management company is extremely ****ty and they don't understand the problem here :)

You can get fit walking down there, and keep the place secure by making sure no-one tailgates your visitors.

(I have a similar setup: we have an intercom, but it doesn't unlock the door.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Now the management company is changing it to a fob key. So you need a fob to enter, which is more secure. The problem is that, there's no intercom or buzzer system in the apartment. I have to walk down to main door every time I have a visitor.
    A :)

Do you have a fishing rod, reel with line and a spare fob?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gzckrg

You can get fit walking down there, and keep the place secure by making sure no-one tailgates your visitors.

(I have a similar setup: we have an intercom, but it doesn't unlock the door.)

I'm already fit enough but thanks :D
    I'm also worried about safety aspect of this approach. In an emergency, how can they enter the building? Especially in an ambulance situation, seconds are important.

Also, anyone can tailgate. People even don't check at workplace if the tailgating person actually works there. I don't think it'll happen in an apartment.

Do you have a fishing rod, reel with line and a spare fob?

Haha, unfortunately the main door and the houses are not vertically aligned. Layout of the apartments are a bit weird. No one who lives in the apartment can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Do you own the apartment or rent it.
    If owner you are member of the management company.

Intercom/buzzer system would be expensive to retrofit.
    Phone system where you ring a number would be better solution.
    Any idea why they changed to fobs, was it discussed at an agm or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Haha, unfortunately the main door and the houses are not vertically aligned. Layout of the apartments are a bit weird. No one who lives in the apartment can do that.

You only option then is a drone.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Do you own the apartment or rent it.
    If owner you are member of the management company.

Intercom/buzzer system would be expensive to retrofit.
    Phone system where you ring a number would be better solution.
    Any idea why they changed to fobs, was it discussed at an agm or anything.

I rent it. Landlady also has no idea why it's changed as it wasn't discussed in apartment meeting before. I think there's a buzzer system but it just doesn't work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

of course it was changed because a key code is not secure,
    say theres 20 people living in the block,20 people get a fob.
    malicious people could give out the code to friends .
    some places have an intercom,
    someone calls you on the intercom you press a button ,the front door opens.
    yes it costs money to fit a buzzer intercom system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I'm already fit enough but thanks :D
    I'm also worried about safety aspect of this approach. In an emergency, how can they enter the building? Especially in an ambulance situation, seconds are important.

Also, anyone can tailgate. People even don't check at workplace if the tailgating person actually works there. I don't think it'll happen in an apartment.

There will be a fire escape for fire, ambulance who ever phoned will be there to give them access. You’re making things up to support not having fob. This is between you and landlord and landlord to bring it to OMC or agents attention if they consider it an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Scottie has retired from Star Trek but retains the patent on the machine that could beam your visitors up from the main door to the apartment.
    Do you speak Klingon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I rent it. Landlady also has no idea why it's changed as it wasn't discussed in apartment meeting before. I think there's a buzzer system but it just doesn't work :D

It’s probably changed to piss of owners not paying their fees.

Have you had many visitors during Covid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Intercoms can be got that use sim cards and can be connected to the existing fob system and when your visitor enters your number into it then it will ring you no matter where you are and you can buzz them in from your phone. They are around 1300 each though plus fitting plus your monthly sim card cost.
    Depending on the development they might not want to make it too easy with access but for owners this intercom combined with a lock box is brilliant as they can remotely give access to tradesmen or delivery's or tenants who lose their fob.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Advertisement