Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donabate Beach Walking Route

• 13-04-2021 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a walking route around the headland at Donabate beach as highlighted below. I don't mind a bit of rough terrain but don;t want to be straying onto private land.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

AFAIK it's all open, if cut across the sand dunes at the very back of the golf course, then you're onto a road where the Island golf course is, then that road will lead you through a windy road which will then lead you to the car park of Corballis golf course. I used to walk that when I was a teenager, the Island golf course wasn't there at that stage though but the rest is all open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The sand on Donabate beach becomes very soft the further south you go. It's very tough going. As far as I can recall, you can't go all the way around unless at very low tide. Otherwise you'll have to walk on private property. There are also a few vocal dogs on the first few houses north of the Island GC so it's difficult to discreetly wander by (even though at that point, it's a public road).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭plodder

I presume you know about the right of way that crosses between the two golf courses a bit further back. It can be quite wet in one spot, but is a nice round trip of about 4.5km.

I've never crossed where you are looking. If you look at google maps you'll see there is some kind of inlet or stream you have to cross and to avoid the Island GC you'd have to walk on the foreshore when the tide is out.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

plodder wrote: »
    I presume you know about the right of way that crosses between the two golf courses a bit further back. It can be quite wet in one spot, but is a nice round trip of about 4.5km.

I've never crossed where you are looking. If you look at google maps you'll see there is some kind of inlet or stream you have to cross and to avoid the Island GC you'd have to walk on the foreshore when the tide is out.

I wasn't aware there was a right of way there. I'll have to take a look next time I'm out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Yes that route is possible but you will have to go to very bottom then back up a bit to cross the inlet. Best do it at low tide. Alternatively use the right of way before you come back the island entrance but makes it a much shorter walk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement