Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal Red Card from Current Affairs Mod Necro

Options
  • 13-04-2021 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi,

I received a red card for the following post:
    Graham wrote: »
    You don't have to take the vaccine.

If that means I'm not going to discover you sat at the table next to me while I go out for dinner with my family, you'll have to excuse me for not being too disappointed.

The same curtain twitchers who are destroying the hospitality sector are the same people concerned about eating out with the uncleansed and unvaccinated.

You couldn't make it up.

I spoke to the moderator in question, Necro, who told me to take it to dispute resolution as they are not willing to overturn.

The description of the infraction is as follows:
    Dear Akesh,

You have been infracted for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

Necro

Moderator Note

Discuss the topic, not other posters

Personally, I don't think using collective terms constitutes personal abuse. I attempted to discuss the above with the moderator in question but they stood by their decision.

Can a CMod take a look at this please? I believe it is heavy handed.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi Akesh,

Can you share the full exchange with the moderator either here or by PM please?

Thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Hi,

PM's are below:
    Necro wrote:
    Akesh wrote:
    Necro wrote:
    Akesh wrote:
    Necro wrote:
    Dear Akesh,

You have been infracted for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

Necro

Moderator Note

Discuss the topic, not other posters

Your post:
    Akesh wrote: »
    Graham wrote: »
    You don't have to take the vaccine.

If that means I'm not going to discover you sat at the table next to me while I go out for dinner with my family, you'll have to excuse me for not being too disappointed.

The same curtain twitchers who are destroying the hospitality sector are the same people concerned about eating out with the uncleansed and unvaccinated.

You couldn't make it up.

I would like to appeal this infraction. In the first instance, there is no personal element to my comment, it is a collective term being used. Secondly, considering this is your second attempt to ban/censure me (The first one was because you deem Tony Holohan's public record not up for discussion), I think the response and infraction is severely heavy handed.

I don't think my post falls foul of any of the rules of boards.ie and as such I'm appealing.

So you don't think referring to the quoted poster as a curtain twitcher is uncivil?

I didn't refer to the referenced poster as a curtain twitcher. I said "the curtain twitchers" which is a collective term for people who are spreading fear and hysteria with no grounds, facts or basis to do so.

Just because the referenced poster considers it personal, that does not make it personal.

Right well I don't accept you weren't referring them, given you responded to their post and directly referenced what they were saying.

You can appeal this in the Dispute Resolution Forum

Regards,

Necro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi Akesh,

I've decided that the infraction that the moderator here has issued is warranted.

The term "curtain twitchers" is clearly a loaded one. When you used it, you quoted a post which the moderator interpreted as a response to a specific poster which I think is a logical interpretation. Even if it wasn't, the term is quite provocative and is unhelpful in a thread discussing the relaxation of restrictions which have been imposed as a result of the current covid-19 pandemic.

Please let me know if you'd like to appeal to an admin.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Hi Akesh,

I've decided that the infraction that the moderator here has issued is warranted.

The term "curtain twitchers" is clearly a loaded one. When you used it, you quoted a post which the moderator interpreted as a response to a specific poster which I think is a logical interpretation. Even if it wasn't, the term is quite provocative and is unhelpful in a thread discussing the relaxation of restrictions which have been imposed as a result of the current covid-19 pandemic.

Please let me know if you'd like to appeal to an admin.

Hi ancapailldorcha,

Yes, I would like to appeal. I think the red card in particular is extremely harsh for a first time offence. I also think it's important to differentiate between a personal attack and the use of collective language.

Nothing in my post was personal.

Akesh wrote: »
    Hi ancapailldorcha,

Yes, I would like to appeal. I think the red card in particular is extremely harsh for a first time offence. I also think it's important to differentiate between a personal attack and the use of collective language.

Nothing in my post was personal.

Hi Akesh,

Escalating sanctions is normal protocol. You received a warning on the 8th January so an infraction is the natural next step from that.

I'll flag this for admin review now.

• Advertisement

Hi Akesh,

Escalating sanctions is normal protocol. You received a warning on the 8th January so an infraction is the natural next step from that.

I'll flag this for admin review now.

Hi ancapailldorcha,

Sure, I can accept that. However, my first offence is listed as private as I didn't read the OP (my fault). The sanction was for talking about Tony Holohan and his record as CMO. This is particularly unusual to receive a sanction for referring to the competency of the CMO. However, I accept I should have read the OP and not engaged if the moderators have banned discussing the background of the CMO or cervical check.

Receiving a red card on the above may be the process but I do consider it harsh for the nature of the offence.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have had a look at this and a sanction is certainly warranted. Should that be a red card? It's a few months since you picked up that yellow, and I do not think that warrants an escalation in this case. I am therefore reducing this from a red to a yellow card

Resolved

Beasty wrote: »
    I have had a look at this and a sanction is certainly warranted. Should that be a red card? It's a few months since you picked up that yellow, and I do not think that warrants an escalation in this case. I am therefore reducing this from a red to a yellow card

Resolved

Thanks Beasty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement