Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poolbeg chimneys at risk of corrosion

Options
  • 13-04-2021 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭

I think they're just so horrible, and as someone says in the comments, it's like Dubliners have developed Stockholm Syndrome as they seem to be beloved by most. There's not a chance in hell they'd get planning permission for something as ugly and intrusive on Dublin Bay in this day and age, especially when you see 12 storey building plans being rejected and locals going nuts over "skyscrapers" being built.
    I'm hoping this news leads to them being demolished, but wouldn't be surprised if they splashed out to keep them erect.
    Am I alone in wishing they were gone?

https://www.thejournal.ie/poolbeg-chimneys-at-risk-due-to-possible-corrosion-in-foundations-esb-warns-5407234-Apr2021/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm definitely not on your side. They are an iconic part of Dublin's skyline. I disagree that they're an eyesore. I used to love spotting them from a plane, a sign I was home.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I would very much miss them if they are gone, and I am sure I am not alone in those thoughts.

As for ugly and intrusive, they are about the best looking man made thing in the whole port area, apart from the lighthouses and the ships. It's hardly a pristine area of natural beauty. They do a good job of shielding some stuff that really is ugly.

I don't know why the separate discussion about skyscrapers has to come into it, completely different sort of structure and nobody is living next to it apart from seagulls.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I agree they're in an awful state, I was down beside them recently and hadn't realised just how bad they'd got.

But I'd be very sorry to see them go, they're one of the things I most associate with the Dublin skyline, and like the poster above, to me they reek of coming home from abroad (when being abroad was a thing!).

I'd be firmly on the "fix them and keep them" side of things, but I fear they'll just dither and prevaricate until they're gone past the point of no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm definitely not on your side. They are an iconic part of Dublin's skyline. I disagree that they're an eyesore. I used to love spotting them from a plane, a sign I was home.

The only unique thing about them is that they're so prominent in a capital city. No architectural merit.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dublin has little enough by way of a recognisable skyline as it is, and the chimneys are a significant part of what we do have. It would be a shame to let them get to such a state of disrepair that they either crumble or there's no alternative but to demolish them.

• Advertisement

I think if we had a poll as to what Dubliners would rather see saved and maintained, the Spire or Poolbeg towers, the towers would win rather comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Knock them down if they are in a state of disrepair.

Dublin should start modernising itself by building up and not out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think if we had a poll as to what Dubliners would rather see saved and maintained, the Spire or Poolbeg towers, the towers would win rather comfortably.

I think Dublin City CC should be consulting engineers about relocating the chimneys to O’Connell st. Would look beautiful, 2 dirty stacks beside a big needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's hardly a pristine area of natural beauty.

Yeah, because someone built a few power stations on it.

.42. wrote: »
    Knock them down if they are in a state of disrepair.

Dublin should start modernising itself by building up and not out.

This has nothing to do with the Poolbeg towers.
    That spot is not going to become residential any time soon is it?

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    Yeah, because someone built a few power stations on it.

And across from it ... a major port.

It's not an area of pristine nature and hasn't been for a very long time.

That's why power stations were put there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

This has nothing to do with the Poolbeg towers.
    That spot is not going to become residential any time soon is it?

If the port is moved, there will be thousands living down that way in no time.

Re the towers, they are pretty but maybe Dublin needs to look at a decent landmark - put it this way, I'd rather see a decent structure (e.g. a small version of the Eiffel Tower or the like) have money spent on it, than spend a fortune saving 2 old chimneys which are falling asunder.

No I'm not referring to The Spire, I am referring to a decent landmark!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

And across from it ... a major port.

It's not an area of pristine nature and hasn't been for a very long time.

That's why power stations were put there.

Old power station
    Dublin port access
    Incinerator
    Water treatment plant
    Scrapyard

chef wrote: »
    Old power station
    Dublin port access
    Incinerator
    Water treatment plant
    Scrapyard

To quote the song.. "And the Liffey as it stank like hell..."

Well I think they captured and preserved that smell in the vicinity of said water treatment plant!

If the port is moved, there will be thousands living down that way in no time.
    Re the towers, they are pretty but maybe Dublin needs to look at a decent landmark - put it this way, I'd rather see a decent structure (e.g. a small version of the Eiffel Tower or the like) have money spent on it, than spend a fortune saving 2 old chimneys which are falling asunder.
    No I'm not referring to The Spire, I am referring to a decent landmark!

IF the port is moved... that's a pretty big and expensive IF which Dublin port don't seem keen on.

And if we're going to put up a structure... I propose two red towers...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It kind of is an area of beauty tough, Dublin Bay on the whole, and these things are a blight on the bay, to me anyway.

I would prefer Dublin to have a skyline to match Hong Kong, Singapore, NYC, Tokyo, Shanghai, Frankfurt, City of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I would prefer Dublin to have a skyline to match Hong Kong, Singapore, NYC, Tokyo, Shanghai, Frankfurt, City of London.

You'll have to keep dreaming so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

IF the port is moved... that's a pretty big and expensive IF which Dublin port don't seem keen on.

And if we're going to put up a structure... I propose two red towers...

I can honestly tell you, I have had lots of people from overseas to Dublin and never once have I said "You have to see these 2 chimneys".

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

To quote the song.. "And the Liffey as it stank like hell..."

Well I think they captured and preserved that smell in the vicinity of said water treatment plant!

yeah none of these things are conducive with housing as someone mentioned earlier,
    And also moving the Port is a big IF.

there are proposed housing works going to take place on the old IGB site, but this is a little bit away from where all of the above mentioned areas are

Personally as a local who lives beside the Poolbeg, I hope they stay.

Cant beat a walk down the shellybanks, past the chimneys and off out to the red lighthouse

• Advertisement

Is the building underneath them functional at the moment? There's a nice walkway around there from Sandymount I did last year.

You'll have to keep dreaming so.

We've had the opportunities and still do.

Many people in DCC seem to love the gutter look of the city.

I can honestly tell you, I have had lots of people from overseas to Dublin and never once have I said "You have to see these 2 chimneys".

They are a local sight for local people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

They are a local sight for local people :)

They're eyesore in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

We've had the opportunities and still do.

Many people in DCC seem to love the gutter look of the city.

We have opportunities to build up in places but the places you've listed would have buildings upwards of 100 stories, completely unnecessary for Dublin but a good cluster of 20-30 story buildings around the Docklands would certainly do us good.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    They're eyesore in my opinion...

Have you noticed how the rest of that area looks?
    Without the towers, it's a heap of industrial plants etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Iconic, comforting, historic.

The Dublin skyline absolutely would not be the same without them and you'd be a brave person to sign off on their demolition.

We have opportunities to build up in places but the places you've listed would have buildings upwards of 100 stories, completely unnecessary for Dublin but a good cluster of 20-30 story buildings around the Docklands would certainly do us good.

Ah Yeah, I dont expect us to build to the moon but scaled down in height.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Funny thing is, people think they look nice from the distance of the city centre etc.., but up close they are in rag order.. it's a nostalgia thing for people liking them. Nothing more.

• Advertisement

Just read the article again, sounds like they're in pretty bad shape. Would be a great sight to see them being demolished.

Advertisement