Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poolbeg chimneys at risk of corrosion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Black Cloud

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You could say the same for the walk from Sandymount out to the Great South Wall

Exactly. It was just a suggestion, one that would benefit the people of both Dublin and further afield. The South Wall could definitely do with an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't think more cafes on bull island is anything we need, it's supposed to be a nature reserve and the place is really plagued with litter already.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And so it begins.....

Could we not do X?
    Ah no, we should do Y.
    Definitely not, Z is a much better value.

How long before hospital beds are mentioned???

The question is, should the chimneys be kept or not!

Not pointing the finger at any particular poster by the way! It's just the way these threads always seem to go.

I could be wrong, but is the OP a word-for-word copy/paste of an older thread? :confused:

Not unless I'm sleep posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I could be wrong, but is the OP a word-for-word copy/paste of an older thread? :confused:

What year is it where you are?
    Are the towers still there?

The corrosion article only appeared recently so we must consider other explanations.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The incinerator was built in the last 10 years.

If the incinerator served no purpose, would you be if favour of it being built there?

If the incinerator served no purpose, would you be if favour of it being built there?

I have no idea what you are on about.
    The incinerator with its stacks were built there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

I am a regular visitor to shelly banks and poolbeg.

I love the chimneys, as do my kids. They are a real landmark.

I would be very dissapointed if they were removed.

We have removed many many landmarks and streetscapes in Dublin and replaced them with bland 'modern' architecture, with no character.

I simply don't understand to desire to remove something which is unmistakably Dublin. Why the rush to make Dublin look like other cities? It's Dublin, not Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

efwren wrote: »
    I simply don't understand to desire to remove something which is unmistakably Dublin. Why the rush to make Dublin look like other cities? It's Dublin, not Hong Kong.

Unmistakably Dublin? Google "power plant smokestack" and you'll find plenty of others just like it.

I can understand preserving some of the older brick chimneys though, like the one near Facebook. There is an aesthetic about them, the brickwork and workmanship is impressive. You could see people even replicating them in new builds, but a red and white striped concrete smokestack? Not a chance.

• Advertisement

The ESB cannot be expected to continue to maintain two old chimney stacks that serve no purpose only some sort of nostalgia.

Someone said we are all paying for them, but I'm not sure that is actually the case. The standing charge we pay is to maintain the network, so is paid to ESB Networks. Poolbeg would be part of ESB Generation. I could be wrong, but I think they operate in a deregulated market, so get none of the standing charge.

That said, the Generation arm of the ESB are after making major announcements about investing in offshore wind, solar, distributed generation etc. I'd rather they invest in that instead of trying to maintain two ancient stacks that are probably starting to become structurally unsound. We complain about politicians getting 8k each on office expenses, but the overall cost of that is less than the cost of keeping these yokes standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

We complain about politicians getting 8k each on office expenses, but the overall cost of that is less than the cost of keeping these yokes standing.

But the Poolbeg towers don't do any harm while the politicians have the country ruined.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    But the Poolbeg towers don't do any harm while the politicians have the country ruined.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

efwren wrote: »

We have removed many many landmarks and streetscapes in Dublin and replaced them with bland 'modern' architecture, with no character.

Like what? What landmarks have been removed?

Nelson's Pillar.

I actually think I liked the old motor tax office, I'm not even messing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The ESB cannot be expected to continue to maintain two old chimney stacks that serve no purpose only some sort of nostalgia.

The ESB should offer to either dismantle them or transfer them to DCC.

Councillors call for many things when it won't cost them a penny. They'll think a bit harder about it when they have to budget for a refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭GSBellew

They are hideous, have no architectural merit to speak of, there is no reason in sanity that they should be retained going forwards for no purpose.

Should the residents of Dublin / DCC wish them to remain by all means, keep them, but fund it solely from a levy on the residences in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The are hideous and they are crumbling from lack of maintenance.
    They just sit there, doing nothing and cant be used for anything.
    If they were iconic then something should have been done before now -
    convert them to an observation platform, build a restaurant, use it for zip line.
    Something, anything. too late for that now, they are horrible, dilapidated, uncared for.
    Knock them down and build something that can be used.

Whilst I believe there's a good chunk of the population who would like to see them demolished, myself included, I don't think it will happen. When you see the amount of nimbyism that goes on, there won't be a single politician who would back the move for fear of upsetting their constituents.

Best we can hope for is a repair job and a lick of paint.

• Advertisement

I humbly propose that we demolish Dublin completely and we all move to the Carribbean, leaving only the chimneys behind.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Whilst I believe there's a good chunk of the population who would like to see them demolished, myself included, I don't think it will happen. When you see the amount of nimbyism that goes on, there won't be a single politician who would back the move for fear of upsetting their constituents.

Best we can hope for is a repair job and a lick of paint.

I thought Nimbyism is when people don't want things built as opposed to wanting them knocked down!

...'Those horrible towers, a blight on the skyline'
    ..'they should be knocked'
    ..' god no, not in my back yard!'

I thought Nimbyism is when people don't want things built as opposed to wanting them knocked down!

The local seagulls should get on their local councillors about the stink from the waste water treatment plant, and the architecturally beautiful incinerator.
    Clearing the towers will give us humans a much better view of what other visual delights the area has to offer.

Yes, it is. I meant it with respect to politicians response to Nimby's. They'll go to any length to avoid progressiveness and upsetting the locals!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

stoneill wrote: »
    The are hideous and they are crumbling from lack of maintenance.
    They just sit there, doing nothing and cant be used for anything.
    If they were iconic then something should have been done before now -
    convert them to an observation platform, build a restaurant, use it for zip line.
    Something, anything. too late for that now, they are horrible, dilapidated, uncared for.
    Knock them down and build something that can be used.
    Why do they have to "do" something?

Can they not just be there?

They were built for a purpose, they served that purpose (in living memory of a lot of us), now they're there and they're an intrinsic, visual part of the Dublin skyline.

I agree that they're dilapidated and uncared for, but not that they're horrible.

I also fear that it is (or soon will be) too late for them, and they'll either fall down or have to be taken down for safety.

And I think that will be a shame.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The local seagulls should get on their local councillors about the stink from the waste water treatment plant, and the architecturally beautiful incinerator.
    Clearing the towers will give us humans a much better view of what other visual delights the area has to offer.

Weren't these same locals blaming the new incinerator for a load of flies in the area a couple of years ago? Nothing to do with the treatment plant. Or the fact that others said it was like that every year at a particular time of year....

Nelson's Pillar.

Well, a lot of planning went in to that by the council, didn't it....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I humbly propose that we demolish Dublin completely and we all move to the Carribbean, leaving only the chimneys behind.

But...but..think of all the buidlings of architectural value we've but up in the last 50 years. There's the....ummm..the...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's probably best defined by resistance to change of any kind.

The chimneys are iconic in that they do create a focal point on many vistas but they probably don't warrant significant spending just to continue to exist.

• Advertisement

They are iconic, whether people find them attractive or not.

If they can be restored, I think they should be mondernized, and covered in an led display (invisible during the day, but at night they light up with different light shows.

If they can’t be repaired, they should be demolished, and two smaller modern towers built, again covered in LED displays. This would be a nice homage, displaying the red and white strips in between light displays.

Would look fantastic on the Dublin skyline

Advertisement