Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poolbeg chimneys at risk of corrosion

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I actually think I liked the old motor tax office, I'm not even messing

Most people hate that style or architecture though. Fitzwilton House on Wilton Terrace was another similar example that was torn down in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Bambi wrote: »
    But...but..think of all the buidlings of architectural value we've but up in the last 50 years. There's the....ummm..the...

Bord Gais energy theater, Samuel Beckett bridge, Central Bank on North Wall quay, Marker hotel, Gibson hotel, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Effects wrote: »
    Most people hate that style or architecture though. Fitzwilton House on Wilton Terrace was another similar example that was torn down in recent years.

I also liked that. If these brutalist buildings are given some loving they can look great, to me anyway. I love the Barbican in London if you're familiar with that, it's like a whole motor tax office mini city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I love the Barbican. Been there a bunch of times.
    DCC have giving permission today to demolish Phibsborough Shopping centre as well, so that's another one gone.

The Phibs shopping centre, I know it's horrible but there's something about that building and the floodlights etc. that I've always liked. Probably because I'm a Bohs fan. But yeah it probably needs to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bord Gais energy theater, Samuel Beckett bridge, Central Bank on North Wall quay, Marker hotel, Gibson hotel, etc. etc.

All mank except the bridge. Should be pulled down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Good video here and you can see their condition. Even repainting them would cost a fortune.

I can honestly tell you, I have had lots of people from overseas to Dublin and never once have I said "You have to see these 2 chimneys".

It's more for Dubliners than tourists. The opposite of Temple Bar

I was just down at the seafront and had a couple of pints from Pebble Beach opposite the towers. They are f*cking huge, and that video above is giving me vertigo, what a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Nelson's Pillar.

That wasn't exactly a scheduled redevelopment :D

Advertisement