Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory import VAT from 1 July 2021

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Apologies if I haven't explained clearly enough. I understand how it has been to date and how it is technically supposed to be going forward. I was asking if anyone know the likelihood of this change being effectively implemented by An Post. I'm wondering if An Post are resourced accordingly from a personnel and infrastructural perspective to start holding and charging on a significantly higher volume of packages and if indeed they have the appetite to do so. The posts subsequent to this one speculate not very likely. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Yeah exactly, there are just too many to check. But some are checked and some will continue to be checked. But I'm not getting how this will affect An Post, surely they will just continue in the same vein as before; randomly checking some. The only difference being now is when they check and you email them the invoice, they will see that the VAT has been paid and will deliver the item without asking the customer to pay upon receipt.

Having said that, perhaps since they know that the VAT has now been paid on packages, or the majority of packages, coming in from China, they wont check Chinese post and concentrate their efforts elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Email received from An Post:

From July 1st 2021, VAT and customs charges will apply when you shop online outside of the EU. We’re here to help you understand these changes and continue to invest in new technology to make online shopping easy.

What does this mean?
    VAT and customs charges already apply to AddressPal purchases from Great Britain and USA with a value greater than €22. From July 1st the VAT exemption of €22 will be removed. VAT and customs charges will now apply to all applicable items.

How will I know if I have to pay a charge?
    If Irish Revenue have applied VAT and customs charges to your AddressPal order, An Post will send you an email and text message providing a unique reference number specific to your order detailing the charges that have been applied.

How can I pay a customs charge?
    The charges can be paid simply at anpost.com/PayCustoms or at any post office using your unique reference number before we deliver your parcel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

I bought some bits on AliExpress last month. 9 different transactions all for about €2/€3 each, which I am awaiting delivery of. Will I now get charged Vat on these as well as the An Post Collection charge.

Don’t mind the Vat but with the collection charge on top it’s probably best to refuse them and reorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

amber2 wrote: »
    I bought some bits on AliExpress last month. 9 different transactions all for about €2/€3 each, which I am awaiting delivery of. Will I now get charged Vat on these as well as the An Post Collection charge.

Don’t mind the Vat but with the collection charge on top it’s probably best to refuse them and reorder.

There's no reason why, if they are separate packages, that you won't charge handling on each, as An Post have to do the admin for Revenue on each one separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

amber2 wrote: »

If they decide to apply the VAT then it seems that the handling fee is €3.50 per item. I too am waiting for some items too come from AliExpress that might be caught. Anyone got stung yet on items that would have been no issue last month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

If they decide to apply the VAT then it seems that the handling fee is €3.50 per item. I too am waiting for some items too come from AliExpress that might be caught. Anyone got stung yet on items that would have been no issue last month?

This change in vat rules has been signalled for at least 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭skinny90

I’ve an order coming with SF

Since the 27th of June it’s in Ireland but still in transit with the this

Shipment arrive at 【Cross border service point in Dublin, Ireland】

Seeing as it arrived on the 27th am I still subject to VAT?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I received an Ali express delivery this morning. Order value €12.41

No vat applied.

Maybe this was due to the order being made on the 10th June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I received an Ali express delivery this morning. Order value €12.41

No vat applied.

Maybe this was due to the order being made on the 10th June?

Same received one item today from China value on it was US$3, postman delivered so I assume I’d have heard about it if there was charges. Again was ordered in early June.

vandriver wrote: »
    This change in vat rules has been signalled for at least 6 months.

That's not being queried here. What's being queried is the appetite for enforcing this day to day. As per the last few posts it appears at least some low value items can or will slip through the cracks.

• Advertisement

Received a delivery today from An Post from something that cost around €16 ordered on Aliexpress back before they collected VAT. It wasn't stopped by customs and no VAT or processing/handling charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gaz22

Does anyone know if I will be charged VAT on purchases coming from Turkey? Turkey isn't in the EU but is in a customs union with the EU. The value of the item is €55. Wikipedia says "Goods may travel between the two entities without any customs restrictions" but I can't find anything on the Revenue or Europa websites.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've had 2 deliveries of packages from UK since 1st July that were sub €10 in value, didn't have to pay VAT on either.

I've now received several packages paid for in June with no VAT paid at that time and all have come through no problem. I wonder if An Post have quietly decided not to follow the change in practice or are allowing a soft interim period before getting tighter.

It's not An Post's decision. It's down to Customs and Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

bought from aliexpress who charged Irish Vat, Are IOSS registered and CN22 on each label. Package stopped by an post and customs levied on the amount already including vat. 1 hour on hold and told I have to email in my request.

Got a response that they are very busy and a reply may take several days. Meanwhile I have 6 days to pay or my package will be returned. Item was 26 euro including vat

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Fishingmad2013

What's the story with second hand goods being sent over from the states? Will these parcels be checked and if so how would they calculate the customs charges?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Does this apply for an item that is being repaired in England and delivered to Ireland?

Is the customs/vat charge just on the repair costs or the value of the item?

I already own the item, I'm just getting it repaired in England.

The repairer needs to show on the customs declaration that it's a repair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement