Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casing problem

Options
  • 13-04-2021 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭

070-E167-F-2-F1-E-4-B7-E-9-D13-CE283819-BE1-B.jpg

46-EA620-D-5-C31-4629-9-BAA-70-B7553-FB8-F0.jpg

My son is building his first PC. He’s trying to fit the power unit into the casing but there are shelves in the way of the cabling.

The shelving doesn’t look like it’s removable.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

This is probably a case (sorry) where a picture is worth a thousand words ;)

The make and model of the case and power supply will probably help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

minitrue wrote: »
    This is probably a case (sorry) where a picture is worth a thousand words ;)

The make and model of the case and power supply will probably help also.

Have the pics shown up in my post?

Casing is a CiT Blaze, power supply is a Corsair RM650x (I think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have the pics shown up in my post?

Casing is a CiT Blaze, power supply is a Corsair RM650x (I think!)

Here's a video where someone does a build using that case, around 5:35 you can see where he slips the power supply in https://youtu.be/8a9J0odcTeE

Edit: just seen on the amazon reviews where people are complaining about the hard drive cage and had to bend it to fit cables

Here's a video where someone does a build using that case, around 5:35 you can see where he slips the power supply in https://youtu.be/8a9J0odcTeE

Edit: just seen on the amazon reviews where people are complaining about the hard drive cage and had to bend it to fit cables

Hmm, the RM650 is a much bigger unit than the one they're using in the video. The amount of cabling, no way is it going to fit even if we bend the casing. Are we looking at ordering a different case?

Hmm, the RM650 is a much bigger unit than the one they're using in the video. The amount of cabling, no way is it going to fit even if we bend the casing. Are we looking at ordering a different case?

With the cables plugged into the power supply, how far into the cage do they hit when you try slide it in?

You could try cut the cage, but to be honest it's probably not worth the hassle, especially if he plans on using any 3.5" hard drives

• Advertisement

The pics aren't showing up for me, you could attach them directly on to boards if you think it helps though seems we've cleared up already where the problem lies. I think the RM650X is 2cm longer than the one they use in the video but that could well be enough to stop things fitting. It does sound like you either need to get out a hacksaw or similar to get the drive cages out of the way (assuming you don't need them) or return the case if you can and get one that will fit (most decent manufacturers will list the "maximum psu length" but I didn't find a figure anywhere for the CiT blaze).

Thanks all. We’re going to get another casing. Anywhere in Dublin open where we can click/collect or just go in and buy?

(Bit worried why the pics aren’t showing for some....).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Thanks all. We’re going to get another casing. Anywhere in Dublin open where we can click/collect or just go in and buy?

Currys have a decent range on their website.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/tower-cases/324_4402_32092_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

Giblet wrote: »

He’s getting a monitor from there so that’s great. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cooler Master NR600 & MB520 on MemoryC are good value, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Some cases have a removable HDD cage to make space for the cabling, but if the build doesn't include 3.5" HDDs.... i'd just consider cutting the obstruction out. Will solve the problem, save money and keep the original plan for the case that was wanted 1st.

The case looks to have other space for SSDs if that (or M.2.) are the main storage methods.

Just use the right kind of saw/dremel to cut and remove any jagged edges and it should be grand.

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Some cases have a removable HDD cage to make space for the cabling, but if the build doesn't include 3.5" HDDs.... i'd just consider cutting the obstruction out. Will solve the problem, save money and keep the original plan for the case that was wanted 1st.

The case looks to have other space for SSDs if that (or M.2.) are the main storage methods.

Just use the right kind of saw/dremel to cut and remove any jagged edges and it should be grand.

Thanks. They will have to be sawn off. Will give him the option later though for simplicity, it’ll probably be easier just to buy another case.

No cases available to collect from PC World so it was a hacksaw and screwdriver job. All good to go now. Thank you everyone for your help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No cases available to collect from PC World so it was a hacksaw and screwdriver job. All good to go now. Thank you everyone for your help. :)

Can you show us the result?

All Eyes On Rafah

Can you show us the result?

Casing without shelving pic.....

A job well done is a job well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well done. Happy gaming.

All Eyes On Rafah

One last thing. I’ll let him explain........

I can’t find the socket which this plug is supposed to go into. I can’t find it and it doesn’t say it on the motherboard manual.

Not all wires need to be plugged in, they can be for adding more Graphics cards etc.

That said, the motherboard itself should have a large 24-pin cable connected to it, and an 8-pin above the CPU along the edge of the motherboard.

That picture looks like it's a second pci-e connector (6+2) so as long as the graphics card has as many plugged in as it needs that one doesn't need to be connected, so you can just tuck or cable tie it out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Also worth mentioning - some graphics cards (e.g. most 2070s) have a weird "8+6" setup, where you end up with the extra 2 pins oddly "hanging out" (which is super annoying if you're trying to do a clean build).

That connector shown, most likely, splits to separate the last 2 pins.

I'm curious however about the PSU issue - to my knowledge, that Corsair is pretty much "standard size", would it be a...ehrm, case where the...case had a poorly thought out shroud layout?

EDIT: I see you have the 6-pin already plugged in, so nevermind. Just bend that one somewhere out of the way and secure it down with a plastic ziptie, and you're golden.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Also worth mentioning - some graphics cards (e.g. most 2070s) have a weird "8+6" setup, where you end up with the extra 2 pins oddly "hanging out" (which is super annoying if you're trying to do a clean build).

That connector shown, most likely, splits to separate the last 2 pins.

I'm curious however about the PSU issue - to my knowledge, that Corsair is pretty much "standard size", would it be a...ehrm, case where the...case had a poorly thought out shroud layout?

The RM series are definitely on the longer side. For example the 750x is 162mm long and the seasonic GX750 is 140mm long.

Still a poor case design to have the cage in such a tight margin though.

Still a poor case design to have the cage in such a tight margin though.

And why they don't, at least, make it easy to remove just seems like bad design!

Anyways, my son followed advice here but the computer won't power up.

Where do you even start to trouble shoot? I've suggested taking everything apart and starting again from scratch.

And why they don't, at least, make it easy to remove just seems like bad design!

Where do you even start to trouble shoot? I've suggested taking everything apart and starting again from scratch.

Start from scratch and have him play something like one of the Linus Tech Tips build guides for beginners and just follow the steps and take your time.

Are there any fans spinning or any lights at all when he powers the pc on? Also make sure the power supply is switched on at the back, it's caught me out once or twice where I've forgotten to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

If you're anywhere in Dublin, I can help check it out if you want? Just let me know.

First thing would be to test everything on an "open bench" - pretty much lay the mainboard on its box, install the CPU and heatsink, ram, GPU and try to power it up.

Once it has performed a successful POST in that state, transfer everything into the case (the CPU + heatsink + ram assembly, obviously, can be moved as one block without the need to take it apart again).

PS. on a hunch, check the 12v EPS line is plugged in; The cable will be marked "CPU" on the PSU, and it's an 8pin plug near the CPU, towards the back. If it's got an 8+4 config, only the 8pin one needs to be plugged in, the additional 4pin is optional and not necessary unless you're going for extreme overclocks.

EDIT - I see this has been already pointed out above, as it's a common "first timer mistake" :D

You people are fantastic. Thanks ever so much for your time. :)

Bingo. We have power!

As per usual, took everything apart, started again and nothing. Changed the plug and it worked! :rolleyes:

Absolutely delighted with himself. Great result. Thanks again everyone. :)

Bingo. We have power!

As per usual, took everything apart, started again and nothing. Changed the plug and it worked! :rolleyes:

Absolutely delighted with himself. Great result. Thanks again everyone. :)

That's a funny issue to have, but I gotta say I experienced that myself - power cables failing (possibly the least expensive part of a computer) and also had a Display Port cable failing on me.

Well, glad everything works now, well done!

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    That's a funny issue to have, but I gotta say I experienced that myself - power cables failing (possibly the least expensive part of a computer) and also had a Display Port cable failing on me.

Well, glad everything works now, well done!

It was a two pin plug so he needed an adapter which we had. It was the adapter that was faulty. :rolleyes:

Advertisement