Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declan Ganley challenging ban on attending mass

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

AMKC wrote: »
    Saying he can not leave his home to attend mass lol. No one is stopping him from leaving his home but there is currently no mass anyway so he is complaining about nothing the big whingebag. He is like an old granny.

He’s complaining because only Ireland has totally banned public worship and there’s no science to support the ban.
    I still don’t understand why you’ve decided that his complaint of all the complaints by many many people is worthy of ridicule.
    It wouldn’t be that you’re bigoted against people of faith would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like ganley generally as he is a good businessman but i dont know how genuine his worry about church is. There is probably an angle there for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

If god truly is omnipotent, then it doesn't matter where you worship him/her

He’s not complaining about not being allowed to worship.
    He wants to go to mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Jesus never went to mass.

Would've been, like, major awks.

Being offered a nibble and sup of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I always enjoy reading your anecdotes, perfectly tailored to suit point being made.

Completely fictitious mind you, but they always perfectly match the point you’re trying to make.

Does it take you long to think of them?

I don’t know what posts you are thinking of (maybe PM me as I’m genuinely curious) but those people I mention in my post are all good friends of mine and are very much affected by churches being closed.

Not just Catholic Church btw. The Filipino couple I know go to a Pentecostal church.

I have a VERY good friend who was a daily mass goer who I didn’t even mention in the post who is very down over the whole thing.

I hope Declan Ganley can achieve something with his court case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's not true.
    And you're making it up

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-blackpitts-mosque-coronavirus-garda-19878191

Here’s just one of many articles online

I accept your apology in advance.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread title updated

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose in an extended crisis like this many people tend to find comfort in religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He needs to be seen to go to church.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

biko wrote: »
    I suppose in an extended crisis like this many people tend to find comfort in religion.

Great point it is safety net. Gives people who need it a chance to talk things out to themselves/God however you want to phrase it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We need to come up with a solution to sort this out. Put your thinking caps on people. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

We need to come up with a solution to sort this out. Put your thinking caps on people. Any ideas?

I think an obvious solution as the weather gets better is open air masses in car parks, fields and the likes. Sure didn't they do that craic in penal times. Stay in cars take away communion at the gate job done.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

AMKC wrote: »
    He is complaining he could not go to church. He is one selfish fuc-k. Imagine if this ejit ran the Country we would be like Sweden is it not on lockdown at all and more people than needs to be doing all because of this idiots greed.

Perhaps this will educate you :

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/covid-blanket-ban-on-church-worship-in-scotland-ruled-unlawful-3176715

I think an obvious solution as the weather gets better is open air masses in car parks, fields and the likes. Sure didn't they do that craic in penal times. Stay in cars take away communion at the gate job done.
    Thats currently illegal!

Last March, the case was adjourned until 13th April, but I haven't seen or heard any updates

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/state-asked-to-clarify-basis-for-covid-19-restrictions-on-attending-mass-1.4518152

Apparently the State declined to say whether the 'ban' on going to church services is only advisory or not. There is some ambiguity in the regulations.

This is what pisses me off. Restrictions are one thing, but when liberties are being so tightly curtailed, we should expect and be given legal clarity. I understand that we are in an emergency, and restrictions are necessary, but treat us like adults. It's unsettling, the extent to which people, and the media especially, accept serious curtailment without asking questions in reply.

The law should be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Could he not just do his own mass at home? Anyone who has spent years going to mass could easily recite the whole service anyway. Maybe he could make a game out of it, try and come up with a different sermon every day. Try out different wafers and wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last March, the case was adjourned until 13th April, but I haven't seen or heard any updates

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/state-asked-to-clarify-basis-for-covid-19-restrictions-on-attending-mass-1.4518152

Apparently the State declined to say whether the 'ban' on going to church services is only advisory or not. There is some ambiguity in the regulations.

This is what pisses me off. Restrictions are one thing, but when liberties are being so tightly curtailed, we should expect and be given legal clarity. I understand that we are in an emergency, and restrictions are necessary, but treat us like adults. It's unsettling, the extent to which people, and the media especially, accept serious curtailment without asking questions in reply.

The law should be clear.

Mass is subject to the same restrictions as every other public gathering and for the same reasons; covid and the risk of infection.

The Catholic Church consequently gave a dispensation from obligatory Mass attendance .

Because of covid.

Hence nothing really to do with "liberties". Simply precautionary rules that apply to us all, in every organisation. Very simple.

References being made to this being equal to the banning of Mass in Penal Times by an anti-Christian government are way off beam

All the Church is being asked to do is avoid congregating because of the risk of infection; ie to care for each other.

Same as gyms, pubs etc etc etc.

I watched a sermon on youtube last night on this. Denouncing the govt, calling it anti-Christian, demanding back to Penal Time rules. Never a mention of covid or the need for care re infection. The new CC in Achill is on the same wavelength. Never a mention of the reason for no mass. Headed "Faith under Attack"

All they like everyone else needs to do is wait now a while until we can congregate safely. Mass on TV. Pray at home. Keep the faith. Care for each other in all this.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mass is subject to the same restrictions as every other public gathering and for the same reasons; covid and the risk of infection.

The Catholic Church consequently gave a dispensation from obligatory Mass attendance .

Because of covid.
    Two things.

This isn't just about Catholics. There are tiny communities of religious faiths scattered across Ireland whose very cohesion depends on their church or meeting house, synagogue or mosque. That's not an argument against restrictions, I'm just saying this goes beyond attending services or prayer.

More importantly, my point is that it isn't yet clear whether the law does or does not prohibit attending services. Make the law clear, especially when you are putting a constraint on individual freedoms. A situation where there is a vague ban on liberties, so people are afraid to do anything in case it might be illegal, is like something out of Kafka.

There is a principle in criminal law that because the stakes are so high for an accused person's liberty, the law must be as literal, and as clear, as possible. Ordinary people seeking to go about their lives deserve the same clarity. We had a similar situation this time last year when older people thought it was illegal for them not to cocoon, even fairly sharp guys like Charlie Bird later reported that he felt he had been somewhat tricked into falsely believing this.

The law should be crystal clear when it comes to prohibiting such basic elements of human activity, or state whether these are just guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

biko wrote: »

If you find comfort in behaving in a manner that will proliferate the spread of covid though ?

the guy a simpleton... Can you imagine if mass was to be allowed ffs... most churches are poorly ventilated, old, poorly spaced buildings..

I’m reading there are about 1100 churches (Catholic) in Ireland, it would be a covid shîtshow... imagine the first mass, you’d have the priest appealing for everyone to disperse after but...like fûck that happens...

“ ohh how are you, isn’t it awful, how is your Frank, and ohhh yes we watched Maureen’s funeral on the Internet, sad, I feel all the better for the broadband though, very clear”.

Most churches have about 50 yappers after mass..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strumms wrote: »
    If you find comfort in behaving in a manner that will proliferate the spread of covid though ?

the guy a simpleton... Can you imagine if mass was to be allowed ffs... most churches are poorly ventilated, old, poorly spaced buildings..

I’m reading there are about 1100 churches (Catholic) in Ireland, it would be a covid shîtshow... imagine the first mass, you’d have the priest appealing for everyone to disperse after but...like fûck that happens...

“ ohh how are you, isn’t it awful, how is your Frank, and ohhh yes we watched Maureen’s funeral on the Internet, sad, I feel all the better for the broadband though, very clear”.

What utter rubbish.

Most old churches are drafty. That means fresh air ventilation.

They're huge, with lots of space for distancing.

When they opened from July-Sept last year, people running them were paranoid as he'll and they were better controlled than ANY other place. There was no Covid ****sh*w.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What utter rubbish.

Most old churches are drafty. That means fresh air ventilation.

They're huge, with lots of space for distancing.

When they opened from July-Sept last year, people running them were paranoid as he'll and they were better controlled than ANY other place. There was no Covid ****sh*w.

Classy response as always.

Ðrafty ? Being drafty doesn’t guarantee good ventilation.

Otherwise builders would just build drafty houses and office blocks. There are laws on well ventilated buildings not drafty ones.

There is not lots of space for distancing. Especially when the church have no interest in imposing it and a good percentage of the congregation have no interest in adhering to it...

0_Do5cE0UXkAAPr5g.jpg

After would be a shîtshow too with them all outside gassing after.

Classy response as always.

Ðrafty ? Being drafty doesn’t guarantee good ventilation.

Otherwise builders would just build drafty houses and office blocks. There are laws on well ventilated buildings not drafty ones.
    Eh, sorry now, but draughty does mean ventilated.

Ventilated doesnt always mean draughty, but draughty certainly means ventilated.

This isn't complicated engineering. Does anyone know what other countries in Europe have banned church services? I think there are no more than 3 of us, and reader, we are not in the top-3 on any metric — except severity of lockdown

Moghead wrote: »
    Could he not just do his own mass at home? Anyone who has spent years going to mass could easily recite the whole service anyway. Maybe he could make a game out of it, try and come up with a different sermon every day. Try out different wafers and wine?

Don't be ridiculous !

I have seldom read such Bullsh*t as the above.

Advertisement