Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir F2000 router use as wifi extender

Options
  • 13-04-2021 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey everyone got eir installed today and the WiFi won't reach the whole whole but have two eir F2000 router, my question is could I use one like a range extender to bost the signal around the house and have it connected to the fire router by WiFi and if so how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hey everyone got eir installed today and the WiFi won't reach the whole whole but have two eir F2000 router, my question is could I use one like a range extender to bost the signal around the house and have it connected to the fire router by WiFi and if so how?

You need a Mesh system to do this. You can recycle old routers as WiFi access points - but you would need to hard-wire them back to your main router using Cat-6 cables, and you need to be careful to ensure you don't have more than one router configured in your network. Not a good idea.

If your new Eir router is the F3000, Eir offer a mesh system which works in tandem with this. https://www.eir.ie/smartwifi/

You really should consider using the Eir mesh system if you have the F3000, as to use any other Mesh system will require an extra node to cover the zone where your main router is (using another mesh will require you to turn off WiFi in your main router). If you don't have the Eir F3000, then buy an alternative Mesh system, and hang if off your F3000.

Mesh systems have other advantages - they steer mobile devices onto the strongest signal automatically. Without Mesh networks, mobile devices tend to cling onto the weaker signal rather than break the connection, even when a stronger Access point is nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not like extender(repeater), but as AP(access point) you can. "How to" here
    Require Ethernet cable connection from main router
    Not best option for WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Not like extender(repeater), but as AP(access point) you can. "How to" here
    Require Ethernet cable connection from main router
    Not best option for WiFi

+1 for this. I have the Vodafone Gigabox in the kitchen and two more F2000 around the house connected through powerlines. I have one where I'm working with a VOIP handset connected to one and the second one is upstairs. I have these connected like this for prob 2-3 years at the minute but I know there's tidier solutions out there now

Advertisement