Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats causing the front wheel to lock?

• 13-04-2021 8:17pm

Hi cyclists

My next door neighbour has asked me to look at her bike as the front wheel keeps on locking when its turned slightly to the left. It only happens when turning to the left, not the right, and it feels as if the brakes are on.

I had a quick look today but couldn't see an obvious problem although the front brakes did appear to be very close to the rim of the wheel, but at a quick glance I don't think its that.

What things should I be looking for? it will save me a lot of head wrecking tomorrow. :D

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

Did you check the axle locking nuts? Not much other than brakes and axle could cause that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• I'll google axle locking nuts, that's probably it. Thanks

It's the thin nut that locks the axle cone in place to stop it locking up on the wheel bearings.

• Thanks Con, that will save me a lot of head scratching tomorrow :)

Out of interest did you check for a bad buckle in the wheel or if the forks got bent back and the tyre is catching the frame? If not the brakes or axle it's all I can think of.

• Advertisement

• Super stuff, I'll check those before i start to get the spanners out, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Is her front wheel use an axle/bolt/nuts or QR? If it's QR, check the QR axle is secured (i.e. isn't loose) and if that all seems ok and the wheel still feels like it's moving a bit, give the QR arm/housing mechanism a squirt of some lube to allow it move freely enough to clamp up fully and stop the wheel "floating" in effect.

• Thanks Lemming that's very helpful too. I'll feel like I'm a real bike mechanic tomorrow, :D Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Check the brake cable routing is ok too, if it's right hand front brake, and it engages turning left only, then it could be fouling in something thus engaging it

• Thanks KenMc, she did mention that the brake cable had recently been disconnected and had been replaced. That's another one for the checklist.

• Advertisement

• Thanks folks, thats sorted now and my retired neighbour is now off cycling on that glorious day.

KenMc's suggestion of the brake cable routing getting snagged and engaging the brake was the problem.

The casing of the brake cable at the handle bar itself had been recently repaired and it had slightly shortened the brake engagment time. When turing the handle bar left, the cable was snagging on the frame, so I readjusted the brake cable.

Saved me a lot of guess work and time. Cheers! Enjoy the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Thanks folks, thats sorted now and my retired neighbour is now off cycling on that glorious day.

KenMc's suggestion of the brake cable routing getting snagged and engaging the brake was the problem.

The casing of the brake cable at the handle bar itself had been recently repaired and it had slightly shortened the brake engagment time. When turing the handle bar left, the cable was snagging on the frame, so I readjusted the brake cable.

Saved me a lot of guess work and time. Cheers! Enjoy the sun.

It's usually the simplest solution! Great stuff.

Advertisement