Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile app giving "error communicating with the server"

Options
  • 13-04-2021 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi

This is urgent as I can't use the app. I have been using the mobile app on my Android phone for a while. It works but I regularly get the "error communicating with the server" and "the ssl certificate is invalid. The server cannot be trusted" messages, but I can work around them.

However, this week I got a new Android phone and when I went to use the app, I found it to be unusable. I'm getting the same errors as before but now I can't work around them. The screen just flashes the same error over and over. See the attached screenshot.

I need to use the app as I'm committed to using it now, and I won't be able to use my banking 365 without it.

Can you please help urgently?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

sublime1 wrote: »
    Hi

This is urgent as I can't use the app. I have been using the mobile app on my Android phone for a while. It works but I regularly get the "error communicating with the server" and "the ssl certificate is invalid. The server cannot be trusted" messages, but I can work around them.

However, this week I got a new Android phone and when I went to use the app, I found it to be unusable. I'm getting the same errors as before but now I can't work around them. The screen just flashes the same error over and over. See the attached screenshot.

I need to use the app as I'm committed to using it now, and I won't be able to use my banking 365 without it.

thanks

You got a VPN switched on? Can you try with it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sublime1

ulster wrote: »
    Hi

thanks

You got a VPN switched on? Can you try with it off?
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I do have a VPN. I have tried with it switched off and it's the same behaviour.
    I even rebooted and still it doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Hi

thanks
    Good morning sublime1,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

I am very sorry to hear you're having difficulty using the mobile app. The app would be compatible with Android version 6 and above. Please ensure your software is up to date. 

I would recommend deleting and reinstalling the app/clearing cache to see if this works for you. If you continue to have difficulties, I would recommend contacting our mobile app team on 0818200362. One of my colleagues will be happy to look into this and get it sorted for you.

I hope this information helps.

Have a lovely day, take care!

Many thanks,
    Megan

Hi

thanks
    Good morning sublime1,

I am very sorry to hear you're having difficulty using the mobile app. The app would be compatible with Android version 6 and above. Please ensure your software is up to date. 

I would recommend deleting and reinstalling the app/clearing cache to see if this works for you. If you continue to have difficulties, I would recommend contacting our mobile app team on 0818200362. One of my colleagues will be happy to look into this and get it sorted for you.

Many thanks,
    Megan
    Thanks Megan, I can't ring those 0818 numbers as I'm currently abroad. Do you have a landline?

Hi

thanks
    Good morning sublime1,

Many thanks,
    Megan
    Thanks Megan, I can't ring those 0818 numbers as I'm currently abroad. Do you have a landline?
    Thanks for getting back to me.

Apologies, I should have said! Our international number to call is 0035312500362. You will get through to our mobile migration on this number.

I hope this helps!

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mc_teo

Was this ever sorted?

I've had the same issue for the last couple of months.

mc_teo wrote: »
    Was this ever sorted?

Yeah, it turned out to be an adblocker app that was doing something with the DNS settings. Of course, the BOI app is rubbish and basically crapped out when it got blocked by the adblocker. But in their defence once I disabled the adblocker, their app worked.

The BOI app should show the error message once, and give you the option of proceeding - instead it goes into this infinite loop of popups that you can't get out of. I shouldn't have to disable my adblocker to access my mobile banking app - it doesn't happen on any other app. I decided that enough is enough and have ordered the physical security key so I don't have to deal with the app any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭beachhead

Was this ever sorted?

Yeah, it turned out to be an adblocker app that was doing something with the DNS settings. Of course, the BOI app is rubbish and basically crapped out when it got blocked by the adblocker. But in their defence once I disabled the adblocker, their app worked.

The BOI app should show the error message once, and give you the option of proceeding - instead it goes into this infinite loop of popups that you can't get out of. I shouldn't have to disable my adblocker to access my mobile banking app - it doesn't happen on any other app. I decided that enough is enough and have ordered the physical security key so I don't have to deal with the app any more.
    Will you be asked to delete the app once you receive and start using the physical key? Can you alternate between using the app and the key?

beachhead wrote: »
    Was this ever sorted?

Will you be asked to delete the app once you receive and start using the physical key? Can you alternate between using the app and the key?
    Good morning,

If you have a smartphone that is compatible with our app, it would be beneficial to use your smartphone rather than a physical security key. If you have requested a PSK, you will not have the facility to use the app. You will need to use the PSK to access your online banking through the 365 Online website.

If you require any further assistance, please call our customer service team on 0818365365 or 0035314044000. One of my colleagues will be happy to help.

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mc_teo

Yeah, I've AdAway installed. I see the same retry loop; I've even started decompiling the APK to disable the SSL verification.

Have your tried green listing the problematic domains?

• Advertisement
Advertisement