Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share your Creations, Remixes, STLs etc..

Options
  • 13-04-2021 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭

Share stuff you have created here, wether its just photos or thingiverse etc.. links or even those juicy STL files. (can i haz stl plz? :P)

I made my first remix today and put it up on thingiverse.
    Had no idea when I was getting up this morning it would happen:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4827244

Its basically a remix of one part in user Kerst's Oculus Quest 2 headphone mod for use with the halo strap:

550056.jpg

The original files use an adapter that uses a screw which is secured with epoxy inside the hole of the adapter.

I remixed the STL with a mounting hole for an M3 nut which eliminates the use of epoxy and allows you to adjust the tightness of the rotation of the headphones.

550057.jpg

Fairly simple mod but makes it much nicer.
    I used a combination Tinkercad to hack it together but if i knew how to use Blender it would have been much easier as i could select the 3 parts that make up the adapter and simply modify them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Only did a couple of remixes so far, lets call them modifications more so, have not gotten around to uploading as a remix. It might be easier than first thought using Blender to morph different parts into something new. You just have to have them aligned. When exported to STL, Cura and the printer do not seem to mind them not being properly merged in blender:

I gave the print away so can't show the end result but it was a camera lens/telescope eyepiece adapter that turned both into a spotting scope. The original design was not great I think, maybe it was just the print but seemed too loose. I had to print a 0.4mm spacer for the part that connects to the lens.
    I plan on making my own with supports so it can be mounted to a camera and tripod which will require steeling different bits and merging them together.

Thingiverse print with screw:
    550099.png

I created a 2d black grip in Inkscape - different shapes aligned to form the grip. With all the paths selected path > object to path > union save as svg, import as an svg in blender, place wherever you want it.

550098.PNG

The height just needs adjusting on the object. As it is a 2d object you just need to add a Z axis... object data properties 550095.PNG geometry>extrude set: 0.006 changed object to desired Z height

They're separate objects but once exported to STL it printed great.

550100.PNG

Don't get me started on Blender. Too many show-offs on YouTube tutorials who show you way too many shortcuts in the space of 2 seconds and everything they're doing is not explained properly... information overload. But when it is explained it can be too long winded, need to find that perfect balance. The above was a brute force attempt, had no idea it would work and was happily surprised that it did.

550101.PNG

Advertisement