Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal for food court type thing in the city harbour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Yay, let's go down the docks for a burger, said no one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Mr Man wrote: »
    Yay, let's go down the docks for a burger, said no one ever.

Ye might if there was something. I went to street food festivals in Zurich (a thing because they don't really have a casual food thing) that were set up in all sorts of weird places. An abandoned football stadium, a disused hydroelectric station.

The important thing is that they were easy to get to either by foot or public transport. It's a cheap way of doing something different to routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-city-traders-groups-object-to-docks-outdoor-dining-plan/

Various traders' groups have lodged complaints with the proposal.

Latin Quarter, Woodquay Traders and Westend Traders representative groups have all objected, and have suggested Spanish Arch would be
    better.

Latin Quarter asserts there's no (business) demand for the proposal. Woodquay Traders say it would take footfall away from the city centre, which would be vital as the businesses try recover after being closed for most of the last year and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

People will be coming down Augustine hill, past French Garden past the the amazing independent living area for the elderly and onto Bonham quay which which will amongst all else have 3500 employees, and almost 2000 bike spaces, you will then move onward towards our world class port which will link Galway with the rest of Europe and see a huge increase in out seaways usage and in tourism. This spot is a perfect stop in-between. It'll be fantastic.

I was down there the other day. Even now people could be strolling past the Harbour Hotel, exploring the heritage in Forthill Cemetery, and then stopping off for a burger.

Spanish Arch is just not suitable until they install Waterford-style safety barriers along the waters edge.

Spanish Arch is just not suitable until they install Waterford-style safety barriers along the waters edge.

Ah here, we've had food festivals at the Spanish Arch before and they were great. Long Walk is a great place to then sit and eat. Just need to ensure there's good litter management beside the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ah here, we've had food festivals at the Spanish Arch before and they were great. Long Walk is a great place to then sit and eat. Just need to ensure there's good litter management beside the river.

Ya I'm fairly sure there aren't thousands of people randomly falling over the water's edge every week after having their pizza slice down there. Certainly not last Sunday evening when I was there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yeah I'm sure the residents there want to come out their front door and see people pissing and eating all day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The long walk is like a wind tunnel 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya I'm fairly sure there aren't thousands of people randomly falling over the water's edge every week after having their pizza slice down there. Certainly not last Sunday evening when I was there anyway.

So it would take thousands of deaths for there to be a problem in your eyes.

An interesting perspective.

Thats some acrobatics in terms of twisting words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jesus, you never give up. I don't see any additional safety issues for people availing of the Spanish Arch now versus having a few food vans down there. Care to explain why there is a need for additional measures due to food vans being there?

Advertisement