Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of mosquitos on patio.

Options
  • 14-04-2021 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Lovely Gazebo on back of house in Dublin, fully open on 2 sides, and ate alive the other night by the mossies.. had citronella candles and pot plants of various hebs etc that are supposed to discourage them.

No standing water or obvious source, but they feasted,.

Looking on amazon I can see various devices

Sticky pads... not really

Lights that attract and electrocute - seem to be for the dark / enclosed - hit and miss unless you go for industrial sized ones - noisey and ugly

Hoover devices lure them in and suck them up.. ?? No idea how effective.

Research on line indicates good succuss with "professional" Carbon Dioxide and Propane - "lure and capture" devices but they all run into many 100;s of Euro.. not keen on spending that kind of money unless I have to..

Anyone found solutions that actually work,.?

Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

eddie wrote: »
    Lovely Gazebo on back of house in Dublin and ate alive the other night by the mossies.. had citronella candles and pot plants of various hebs etc supposed to discourage them. No standing water or obvious source, but they feasted,.

Lights that attract and electrocute - seem to be for the dark / enclosed - hit and miss unless you go for industrial sized ones

Hoover devices lure them in and suck them up.. ??

Research on line inducates good succuss with Carbon Dioxide and Propane - "lure and capture" devices but they all run into many 100;s of Euro.. not keen on spending that kind of monney unless I have to..

Anyone found solutions that work,.?

Eddie
    I would look more for standing water. We had them in our water butt before. Pouring a layer of oil on the content killed them. They can breed in very small and shallow amounts of water. Make sure there is no standing water on the patio itself, including under tiles/slabs etc.

Sticky paper worked great for us with fruit flies indoors previously. A light that electrocuted did very little to deal with any insects in our case.

We currently have a lot of midges but not mosquitoes and a lot of mint growing. So possibly mint repels mosquitoes but not midges.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

grassylawn wrote: »
    I would look more for standing water. We had them in our water butt before. Pouring a layer of oil on the content killed them. They can breed in very small and shallow amounts of water. Make sure there is no standing water on the patio itself, including under tiles/slabs etc.

Sticky paper worked great for us with fruit flies indoors previously. A light that electrocuted did very little to deal with any insects in our case.

We currently have a lot of midges but not mosquitoes and a lot of mint growing. So possibly mint repels mosquitoes but not midges.

Surrounded by other houses I am not sure that everyone has as clean gutters as we have and I suspect that lying water in these may be the source..

We have them front and back and have zero standing water on our property or around it as far as we can see,

Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I don't have a solution but maybe it's just the time of year.

I noticed yesterday while walking, everywhere in the shade were tiny little flying insects. Never noticed hundreds of flying insects any other day on same walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely Gazebo on back of house in Dublin, fully open on 2 sides, and ate alive the other night by the mossies.. had citronella candles and pot plants of various hebs etc that are supposed to discourage them.

Lights that attract and electrocute - seem to be for the dark / enclosed - hit and miss unless you go for industrial sized ones - noisey and ugly

Research on line indicates good succuss with "professional" Carbon Dioxide and Propane - "lure and capture" devices but they all run into many 100;s of Euro.. not keen on spending that kind of money unless I have to..

Eddie

If you dont mind me asking, what area of Dublin are you in?, I've lived all my life in Dun Laoghaire borough and Bray (in my 50's now) and dont ever recall seeing one here, maybe its too cold by the coast here for them.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

grassylawn wrote: »

Would the sticky paper not work with the midges? And where can you buy this sticky paper, I was looking for something myself for the midges in the back garden...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Supercell wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking, what area of Dublin are you in?, I've lived all my life in Dun Laoghaire borough and Bray (in my 50's now) and dont ever recall seeing one here, maybe its too cold by the coast here for them.
    we have at least a dozen species of mosquito in ireland, and they're commonest in the south and east IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

we have at least a dozen species of mosquito in ireland, and they're commonest in the south and east IIRC.

Thanks I've heard that alright, delighted we dont seem have them right here, my wife is Chinese and she says its amazing not to have to use a net over the bed for half the year. Whenever we go abroad I get eaten alive as do the kids, I imagine it must be a bit inland of coastal areas where it gets warmer perhaps?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm about 5km from the coast and we get them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've seen them but I don't recall ever being bitten by one here. Midges are more common, there were clouds of them flying into my face when I was out on the bike recently.

Ladybird25 wrote: »
    Would the sticky paper not work with the midges? And where can you buy this sticky paper, I was looking for something myself for the midges in the back garden...

Its a bit tacky............

Eddie

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »

Blanchardstown Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I haven't seen any mosquitos so far this year, but they can be a nuisance as the weather gets warmer. As has been said, standing water is the main problem.

I have read articles that say that citronella in the form of candles and similar are not effective, but citronella applied to your skin will keep them away. Its just possible that citronella may not work on some people, I don't know, but getting mosquito bites depends on the individual.

Some people are more attractive to mosquitos, its some sort of genetic thing, so some people will say positively that there are no mosquitos because they don't get bitten. Those of us who are mozzy-magnets know for a fact that they are there and they bite. So far they are not malaria carrying in Ireland but climate change may change that.

If you want to sit out and there are mosquitos, spray/apply insect repellent to exposed skin - though they can and do 'bite' through clothing. I prefer to use what is hopefully a more 'natural' solution like citronella (Mosi Guard for example) rather than deet containing products.

IR535 is an alternative to deet, if you don't want to use deet. It is what is used in kids formulations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I read before that bats can be effective at eating midges and mosquitos so maybe putting up some roosting boxes to encourage the bats to settle in your garden might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Eddie[/quote

I get eaten alive by mosquitos and bought one of these for the house.

If there are any flies or mozzies this thing will attract everything and zap the bejaysus out of them in day or night time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspectek-Attract-Insects-Playing-Excellent/dp/B017TDXN54

It is the greatest thing I ever bought

looksee wrote: »
    I haven't seen any mosquitos so far this year, but they can be a nuisance as the weather gets warmer. As has been said, standing water is the main problem.

I have read articles that say that citronella in the form of candles and similar are not effective, but citronella applied to your skin will keep them away. Its just possible that citronella may not work on some people, I don't know, but getting mosquito bites depends on the individual.

Some people are more attractive to mosquitos, its some sort of genetic thing, so some people will say positively that there are no mosquitos because they don't get bitten. Those of us who are mozzy-magnets know for a fact that they are there and they bite. So far they are not malaria carrying in Ireland but climate change may change that.

If you want to sit out and there are mosquitos, spray/apply insect repellent to exposed skin - though they can and do 'bite' through clothing. I prefer to use what is hopefully a more 'natural' solution like citronella (Mosi Guard for example) rather than deet containing products.

I can appreciate what you are saying if I was planning to sit out for a few hours, I could , ( would not like to have to ) dose my skin in chemicals.. but it is more the popping out for a coffee for 5 mins and getting ate.. !

Eddie[/quote

I get eaten alive by mosquitos and bought one of these for the house.

If there are any flies or mozzies this thing will attract everything and zap the bejaysus out of them in day or night time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspectek-Attract-Insects-Playing-Excellent/dp/B017TDXN54

It is the greatest thing I ever bought

Thank you - reviews look great as well will give it a try... much appreciated.

unbelievable................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Drop_Kick

---> Found while researching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

If your lawn gets waterlogged some species they can breed there. Live in the midlands and and get them from March on, usually just a few. Last autumn there was clouds of them trying to get in the house :eek:

Mimon wrote: »
    If your lawn gets waterlogged some species they can breed there. Live in the midlands and and get them from March on, usually just a few. Last autumn there was clouds of them trying to get in the house :eek:

Interesting,, we do have slight issue with that and a pumped water feature do you know if you can spray them with anything that will kill them and not damage the plants..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Interesting,, we do have slight issue with that and a pumped water feature do you know if you can spray them with anything that will kill them and not damage the plants..

No idea, would imagine there is something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

unbelievable................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Drop_Kick

---> Found while researching.

"Whatever next!"

We have lots of bats and it is great to watch them flying just before it gets dark. Very agile and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I don't have a solution but maybe it's just the time of year.

I noticed yesterday while walking, everywhere in the shade were tiny little flying insects. Never noticed hundreds of flying insects any other day on same walk.
    Midges. Can cause itch, but do not inject poison like mosquitos.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Lived in Dublin all my life. Can't remember ever seeing a mosquito. Know all about them from holidays abroad alright.

Kill them quick before they spread my direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

JPup wrote: »
    Lived in Dublin all my life. Can't remember ever seeing a mosquito. Know all about them from holidays abroad alright.

Kill them quick before they spread my direction!
    Mosquitos are/were not native to Ireland, but sometime before the milleniium some of them seem to have arrived through Dublin Airport and colonised the Malahide Estuary, from where they are now spreading throughout the country.

Advertisement