Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in apartment

Options
  • 14-04-2021 9:13am

Hi all,

I recently moved into an apartment which had just been refurbished. The shower had no hot water but I could use the main bathroom shower. No problem with that. I reported it to management company.

Woke up this morning and there appears to be a leak underneath the tiles in the bathroom and the floorboards in the bedroom. Rang management company and am waiting for a reply.

However, water is seeping out through grout in bathroom and some of the wood appears to be warped/ maybe water has got into the glue.

Essentially, I think they are going to need to lift the floorboards/tiles to dry out the damp. Presumably, this means I couldn't have use of my bedroom although unsure how long it would take to fix the problem.

What are my rights in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Assuming you own the apartment?

If so then first thing is to locate the source of the leak - is it from within your apartment, a neighbours apartment or from communal areas/plumbing? Management company should assist you with this.

If it's from your apartment then management company should arrange for you to make a claim on the block insurance policy. If it's from a neighbour's apartment then it still may be you who has to make the claim depending on the situation, although it would be reasonable (but probably not mandatory) for the neighbour to pay the excess on the claim, which can be a couple of thousand in some situations.

If it's coming from a communal area or communal plumbing system then the management company should sort it/make the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Hi all,

I recently moved into an apartment which had just been refurbished. The shower had no hot water but I could use the main bathroom shower. No problem with that. I reported it to management company.

Woke up this morning and there appears to be a leak underneath the tiles in the bathroom and the floorboards in the bedroom. Rang management company and am waiting for a reply.

However, water is seeping out through grout in bathroom and some of the wood appears to be warped/ maybe water has got into the glue.

Essentially, I think they are going to need to lift the floorboards/tiles to dry out the damp. Presumably, this means I couldn't have use of my bedroom although unsure how long it would take to fix the problem.

What are my rights in this situation?

If you own it you can claim off insurance. Contact management company. The excess will be very high tough.

If you are renting contact landlord and get them to get it fixed. He can claim off the insurance for the repairs.

Either way, sleep on the living room couch while its being fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You need to contact LL so if done through a management company then you have done the right thing.

Let them sort it out.

Advertisement