Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What length security chain?

Options
  • 14-04-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

About to pull the trigger on a new chain but not sure what length to get. 100% not getting a 1m chain so the choice is between 1.5m and 2m (1.4m and 1.8m actually). It will be used at home but also when in work so I don't want to add links to it making it heavier without reason. I'll be locking it to a sign post/ bike rack. I currently have a 1m chain with a noose so can't use that as a reference really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I got a 1.5m Almax last year and it has been a good length, even with the Blackbird being kinda long with a topbox (makes getting close enough to a pole a tiny bit challenging). The 1.5 chain (with the Squire SS80CS) are a serious weight though.

I think a 2m would be very easy to loop around anything at a distance, but the extra weight might not make it worth it if it's a half decent chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

1.5 you shouldn't need more and it's just additional weight. Mines a 1.5 m almax and plenty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Pulled the trigger on the Milenco 1.8m, my thinking was the 1.8m chain is between the 2 standard lengths for most chains so might actually be a good middle ground between the usual 1.5 and 2m. The 1.4 is just shy of 5kg but I thought that weight was for the 1m at the time. Milenco do a saddle bag specifically for the chain but its a bit sh1t looking so going to pick up a small cheap roll bag with straps to secure it to the rear seat rather than put it in the top box.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dubal2008

One of the best chains to use for compactness and strength is old Lifting and strapping chain, Any place that make up new chains for strapping down machinery onto a trucks will have plenty of old chain they cannot certify for use anymore so just scrap it as scrap metal. This chain you cannot cut with even a 4/6 ft chain cutter. It can be cut with an angle grinder but so can any chain in a matter of moments. Then all you have to find is a Shutter lock that fits the chain and your sorted for small money

dubal2008 wrote: »
    One of the best chains to use for compactness and strength is old Lifting and strapping chain, Any place that make up new chains for strapping down machinery onto a trucks will have plenty of old chain they cannot certify for use anymore so just scrap it as scrap metal. This chain you cannot cut with even a 4/6 ft chain cutter. It can be cut with an angle grinder but so can any chain in a matter of moments. Then all you have to find is a Shutter lock that fits the chain and your sorted for small money

Apparently the high end security chains take minutes to angle grind through. That's what I'm hoping at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dubal2008

Apparently NOT ....look at the video from 21 mins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKO1yudGVNg&ab_channel=BennettsBike

dubal2008 wrote: »
    Apparently NOT ....look at the video from 21 mins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKO1yudGVNg&ab_channel=BennettsBike

I have a 19mm Almax Series IV, it can be busted but it takes some SERIOUS effort.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/tested-almax-immobiliser-series-iv-uber-and-squire-ss65cs

If someone wants the bike bad enough, they'll get it, but it may not be worth the time and risk needed and that's what I'm banking on. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Advertisement