Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sony Xperia Thread

• 14-04-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭

You know, individual threads for Sony Xperia phones never seem to get much traction here so you know what, with three new devices announced today. Let's launch a catch all thread for all comments questions and news about all Sony Xperia products. (Knowing my luck they'll go the way of LG by the end of the year.)

So, today Sony announced three new phones.
    Xperia 1iii
    Xperia 10iii
    and the unexpected 5iii
    (the 'i's are roman numerals and are known as 'Marks' so basically we are onto the "mark threes)

Full rundown of what each phone is packing is available at all the usual websites like this one for example.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/sony-mobile/155785-sony-xperia-1-iii-release-date-rumours-features-specs-price

Sony make very good products. I just suspect that because of who they are and what the make elsewhere, people expect more of that great tech in their phones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah the 5iii was a surprise, I have the 5ii and it has great battery so bigger battery and better camera in the 5iii looks like a nice upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Xperia Pro, once exclusive to Japan and the US is making its way to select European markets.
    If you are looking for a cheap high end phone, this most certainly is not it. Not by a long shot.
    https://www.xperiablog.net/2021/05/06/xperia-pro-gets-an-unexpected-european-launch/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Anyone know what's the deal w/ dual sim Xperia 1 ii not being available in Europe? Are they reliable enough to pick up non-EU models from reselllers without warranty?

Tree wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the deal w/ dual sim Xperia 1 ii not being available in Europe? Are they reliable enough to pick up non-EU models from reselllers without warranty?

Operators don't want people using dual sim phones as it undercuts their price reduction on phones

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Been a sony phone devotee for many years. Mostly prepay bought in store, my latest one (2 years old i think) is an xperia z5, bought online, now looking to upgrade, battery and OS both don't meet my requirements anymore so thanks to OP for starting the thread

Been a sony phone devotee for many years. Mostly prepay bought in store, my latest one (2 years old i think) is an xperia z5, bought online, now looking to upgrade, battery and OS both don't meet my requirements anymore so thanks to OP for starting the thread

I think the Z5 is about 5 years old at this stage, it's what I had before the XZ2. The Xperia range consists of the 1 range, the tall flagships with a pricetag well north of €1000, the 5 range which are a little smaller, a little less speced but still above mid range, coming in around €700 to €900, the 10 range which are right in the mid range €200 to €300. This, in my opinion, is where Sony are falling down because plenty of Chinese makers are getting better specs out at this price range.
    Finally there's the budget L range, again there's nothing stand out about Sonys entry into this range.
    When it comes to electronics, like phones, headphones, speakers, watches etc, Sony are always the first brand I consider, but not always the brand I go for. For example, I want to get wireless ear phones soon and the new Google Pixel Buds A seems good value at €99. Doesn’t look like Sony has a direct competitor. The latest set of buds are getting good reviews but come with a €200+ price tag.

Prime day deals Xperia 5ii down to €641.92
    With call of duty points and a mount for a game pad.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093XTLXWZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_0BWJ70AWRRQEGHHJ861K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

flazio wrote: »
    Prime day deals Xperia 5ii down to €641.92
    With call of duty points and a mount for a game pad.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093XTLXWZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_0BWJ70AWRRQEGHHJ861K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Gas it was around the same price last year during the Black Friday deals and came with free Sony headphones(the noise cancelling ear ones). Wish I got it then but bottled it at the last minute for some reason

Xperia 1iii for August 19 release and 5iii for September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 SmithJames84

any idea which networks will be offering the xperia1 iii ?

The only Sony phones listed on any network are the L4 and the 5ii on vodafone. I think Three might have had the mark 1 xperia1 in the past but nothing advertised at the minute. Customer importing seems to be the way to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SmithJames84

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Sometimes when a new model is issued, one network will have exclusivity for the 1st 6 months but they often don't announce it or have it on offer until very close to the launch date.

I think it's going to be an over expensive flop unfortunately.

OK, the official launch has happened it's called the Xperia Pro-I (that's "eye" rather than "Mark 1") and it's marketing itself as the ultimate camera phone. GSM Arena can go through the specs better than I can but needless to say this quite a niche market Sony are aiming at, doubt we'll get any Pixel 6 Pro orders cancelled. It's starting at €1800 for the phone, which is cheaper than the original Pro, but if you add on accessories like the front facing vlog monitor you get past the €2K threshold. In summary, not for me but maybe some more keen amateur photographers would be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Hi folks, another Sony phone fan here.

I’m looking for a 5ii, anyone seen any decent Black Friday deals from reputable suppliers?

Leak renders of the 1 mark 4 coming out.... and I don't see anything different.

Android 12 incoming to my Xperia 5ii right now 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Do you have that on bill pay? If so, with who? I'm currently considering my next move and bill pay seems a must now.

Upgrade with Vodafone November 2020. Sadly no longer available and no networks are carrying any of the Mark iii models and when you select Ireland on the Sony website the phone section contains out of date information on the Mark ii ranges. Sony appear to have quietly snuck out of the Irish market for the time being. So while I remain a big fan of what are still excellent phones, I'd be hard pushed to recommend anyone buying one at the moment. If the Mark ivs aren't easily available in UK/Ireland spec come November, I reckon I could be switching to Pixel. Silly as it may sound, I'm not too keen to support Chinese brands at the moment and I like staying near stock android.

Yip, the Android 12 upgrade on the Xperia 5ii is a nice improvement.

Sony has exited a few European countries temporarily, and i wonder will they return to them due to stock not going to Russia

The only thing I've noticed from the upgrade that I don't like is that the "screen shot" option is gone when you press the power button.

It's a shame that Sony are gone from Ireland - I've had at least 4 Xperia phones and don't know where I'll go the next time.

Screen shot is now down and power together. The new version of one handed mode is the big disappointment for me. Instead of shrinking the screen towards your thumb they now scroll the top of the screen down to the bottom.

Full run through here.

Very useful. Thank you.

New phone launch, Monday 11th of May at 8am Irish time. Expected to be the Xperia 1 mark IV.

OK so the 11th is a Wednesday not a Monday 😳 as it is today. Best person to pre review it is one of the biggest tech YouTube channels at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Anyone using the 1ii? Picked one up today, it hadn't been used since January and it was only a month old at that stage. It had 6 updates to install which took quite a while (Android 12, few security patches, play store updates etc)

After this I set it up the way I wanted it and charged it up to 100%, its now on 94% after messing around with it a little more and says "about 6 hours 14mins remaining ". Surely that can't be right? Is this a known issue? Have the standard dark mode, reduces brightness, location off and other caveats... I'll stick it on DND and see what it's like in the morning. Doesn't look good?

Edit - all good - messed around last night and just left overnight (4% drain overnight). 78% now and 1day17hrs.

Post edited by rizzee on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 enough_about_me

Hi,

I use an old Xperia and want to replace it. I want an FM radio that doesn't need a data connection - does anyone know if FM radio can be enabled in the Xperia 10 iii or Xperia 10 iv sold in this region? There's a *#*#6484#*#* hack that seems to work on some phones (maybe Xiaomi only?) even when FM isn't enabled out of the box

If not, is there another region that I can buy for an Xperia 10 iii or 10 iv that will work here (voice calls and 3G / 4G here on our bands etc.)?

Thanks for any info.

Advertisement