Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Move to Village/Town in Co. Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Girl_Next_Door

cian8 wrote: »
    We moved to Caherconlish as we got a lot more bang for our buck in terms of house versus our preference for Castletroy/Monaleen/Annacotty. But we both drive so that makes it easy. I would certainly recommend it for families with young kids. In our estate it is like a throwback to my childhood in the 80s with my 6 and 10 years old having great freedom. When the weather is nice we only see them for refuelling and bathroom.

It is like everywhere I have been in Ireland there are some issues but we feel very safe.

The local Centra has everything you could need at short notice. Stone Oven bistro does great breakfast and pizza. The butcher has awesome local beef. There is lots going on at the Millennium Centre - classes etc. We are not church going but a lot still are. There is a tennis club, soccer club, GAA plus equestrian centre.

I work full time from home and our broadband is decent.

There are nice looped walks from the village from 3km upwards, they are on country roads but lots of people walk so very safe.

It works for us!

Thanks for all that information!
    I don't have children myself but thats great the kids can play outside safely, when I was a child on summer hols in Limerick we were always running around outside, not a bother on us!

Great news about the broadband, thats something that would be very important for me.

I notice there seems to be two
    different housing estates that seem to pop up for sale in Caherconlish, Cois Rioga or Ceol na habhainn and I'm wondering would you know either of them or recommend one over the other?

dave 27 wrote: »
    Just on flooding, there are some areas immediately north of the city that are technically in Clare that flood pretty badly in recent times such as Shannon Banks, clonlara and parteen, I'd stay clear of these 3 places for those reasons.

Oh flooding would be a nightmare, :( I'd definitely have to be wary of that, thanks.

Very very small areas flood in those areas and defences are being put in place. 6 houses flood regularly in Clonlara. Clonlara is a walk from Castleconnell across the footbridge aswell which is great. It's 5 to 10 mins from town..closer than castleconnell. I wouldnt go further out than Sixmilebridge which is a fine big village. Its got a good rail link with Limerick city centre and good train times and a bus service. It's not cheap anymore though.
    Caherconlish well its not really a village and traditionally had a bad reputation. I did have a friend that moved out there into a new estate and had terrible neighbours many of whom didn't seem to work. Coonagh is lovely but expensive. For me the real value in Limerick is the city centre Georgian core. Thats where there's bargains.

Places with rail services are definitely a bonus, oh no what happened with your friend with the nightmare neighbours : ( did she stay or sell up??

Its funny with the house prices because a few years ago I thought they seemed a lot less than they are now, I'm delighted for Limerick but kicking myself that I missed out on bargains! My fear with Georgian or old houses is they need renovating.

Caherconlish has a bus stop direct into Limerick. Gaa club, soccer club, tennis club, Ballyneety golf club is 10 mins away, Equestrian centre and a hall in the Millennium Centre. Loads of classes in millennium centre too.
    Centra with petrol station open 7am till 10pm plus another shop on High Street. Theres also a butchers. Stoneoven (eat in or out), Village Diner and Mulcahys to eat in plus a Chinese and Chipper take away. 3 pubs. 2 hair dressers and a barbers. A veterinary clinic.
    Primary school, church, credit union, pharmacy, Garda Station and post office.
    Quiet roads around the area for walks and cycles. 15 mins drive to Lough Gur.
    Less than 10 mins from b&q Retail Park 15 mins to city centre. 15 mins to bruff which has a Bank of Ireland.

Thanks for all the information! Are they friendly in Caherconlish? I'm from Co Kildare but I've family in different places around Limerick, hopefully I wouldn't be deemed too much of an outsider?? : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thanks for all the information! Are they friendly in Caherconlish? I'm from Co Kildare but I've family in different places around Limerick, hopefully I wouldn't be deemed too much of an outsider?? : )

People won't be too bothered by a Kildare person blowing in. We give Clare people a bit of a slagging but other than that we are welcoming and there would be no us and them like I've seen round Leinster with the Dubs

breezy1985 wrote: »
    People won't be too bothered by a Kildare person blowing in. We give Clare people a bit of a slagging but other than that we are welcoming and there would be no us and them like I've seen round Leinster with the Dubs

Some (not all) leinster people think of Limerick as being dangerous or something, it would get on my nerves over the years when people would say things like this to me, I was particularly annoyed one day when a colleague originally from New Zealand said his parents were visiting around Ireland and I said for them to take in Limerick along with Cork, Kerry etc. on their trip and his response was really ignorant, that day I went from mild irritation to blood boiling
    : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Castleconnell and it's hinterland are lovely but overdeveloped and not without a gurrier element. It lacks a decent supermarket. Bus Eireann provide a good, regular service to and from Limerick. The train is more of a novelty than anything. Touch of the "Valley of the Squinting Windows" about the place in general.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Castleconnell and it's hinterland are lovely but overdeveloped and not without a gurrier element. It lacks a decent supermarket. Bus Eireann provide a good, regular service to and from Limerick. The train is more of a novelty than anything. Touch of the "Valley of the Squinting Windows" about the place in general.

Have to admit I had to Google "Valley of the Squinting Windows" love it, never heard that expression before, but will have to use it, all I need is soneone to reccomend a place with a whiff of "Stepford Wives" now : p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It has a Supervalu in the village and has a train. I dont know what you are expecting from Limerick villages but most have a pub and if you are lucky a shop.

As for curtain twitchers is than not just Ireland in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

Thanks for all that information!
    I don't have children myself but thats great the kids can play outside safely, when I was a child on summer hols in Limerick we were always running around outside, not a bother on us!

Great news about the broadband, thats something that would be very important for me.

I notice there seems to be two
    different housing estates that seem to pop up for sale in Caherconlish, Cois Rioga or Ceol na habhainn and I'm wondering would you know either of them or recommend one over the other?

We are in Cois Rioga. Ceol na Habhainn seems fine though.

cian8 wrote: »
    We are in Cois Rioga. Ceol na Habhainn seems fine though.

Great, thanks, good to know, I thought there's some lovely looking houses in either of them.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It has a Supervalu in the village and has a train. I dont know what you are expecting from Limerick villages but most have a pub and if you are lucky a shop.

As for curtain twitchers is than not just Ireland in general
    The population is now over three thousand - the fastest growing in County Limerick. I think any more housing development could ruin the character of the entire place. Take the Castlerock estate, for example. A mile from the centre of the village so even if you need a pint of milk you are dependant on a motor car. Now I hear permission has been granted for the construction of three hundred new units on an adjacent site which is prone to flooding.

The population is now over three thousand - the fastest growing in County Limerick. I think any more housing development could ruin the character of the entire place. Take the Castlerock estate, for example. A mile from the centre of the village so even if you need a pint of milk you are dependant on a motor car. Now I hear permission has been granted for the construction of three hundred new units on an adjacent site which is prone to flooding.

Thats bizarre that they would build on an area that might flood?!, the potential for floods is very offputting : (

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

We moved to Adare in Feb, neither of us are from limerick and have two kids. So far we love it hear, loads of family friendly activities, good broadband, plenty coffee shops and pub (whenever they open :( ) Its obviously more expensive here but you pay for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Castleconnell is a lovely village but very anti social since lately with a notorious builder renting to all sorts out there in newish development in the Village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Castleconnell is a lovely looking village but there's always been a big divide between the well to do and and the poor. That's going back a 100 years plus. It's still there today. It's improving every year, has a nice little C.O.I. Community and the river is amazing. Plenty close to town..and good schools. Personally I prefer the North side villages like parteen,cratloe ,coonagh...your much closer to the city centre . I used to catch the bus to school on the North Circular from Sixmilebridge. 20 mins with multiple stops..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Castleconnell is a lovely village but very anti social since lately with a notorious builder renting to all sorts out there in newish development in the Village.
    I lived in that development for two years in a rented house owned by the individual you refer to. It was okay. I experienced no problems with either the neighbours or the landlord.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, I really appreciate all your comments and feedback. I only saw now there were an extra few comments added a few weeks ago that I missed, so thanks again, hope you all have a lovely weekend : )

Hi lovely folks, I'm interested in moving to a town/village outside of Limerick city and so far I was thinking of areas like Castleconnell, Caherconlish, Murroe or Bruff.

I need somewhere that's a reasonable distance/commute to the city (not more than 30/40 mins) with public transport options. I've got SKY TV & Broadband where I live now and ideally I'd like to keep them, but I don't know if they're available in any of those areas above?

Most importantly I'm looking for a safe/quiet village or town that is friendly or has a nice community spirit and basic amenities would be great.

Many thanks!

Even though it's kinda forgotten about in Limerick, I'd recommend Kilmallock or around there tbh. 40 mins to Limerick city and 60 minutes to Cork city (or so). Can be a bit "local" but where in Ireland isn't. Some lovely spots out beyond it too like Kilfinane (another really forgotten spot, imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tophatman

My friend recently moved to Croom near the hospital it’s a fabulous estate and a few more been built. 15 minutes to the city 8 to adare and close to the cork road. He said the village is very quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Tophatman wrote: »
    My friend recently moved to Croom near the hospital it’s a fabulous estate and a few more been built. 15 minutes to the city 8 to adare and close to the cork road. He said the village is very quiet

Croom would have a reputation as being rough enough. Centre of 19th century faction fighting. The village itself down by the river is nice..the pubs and stuff aren't great.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement