If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another new TV question!

Options
  • 14-04-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking to replace our 10+ year old 40" TV.

I've done a little bit of research, but there are just so many options out there! From what I have read, I'm looking for a 4K TV with HDR (ideally Dolby) and I can't afford a OLED, but might be able to go for a QLED. Realistically I don't think we'd be going bigger than 50", our room isn't that big, and even a 50" is a big jump from the 40" we currently have.

I've seen some LED TVs with Dolby HDR , and then a Samsung QLED with HDR 10+, but I'm concerned that HDR 10+ might go the way of Betamax if that makes sense? And I don't know which is the better one to get, a QLED or something with Dolby HDR? :)

Apart from that, I need 4 HDMI ports, and in an absolute ideal world I'd love Component Inputs too, but I don't think that's possible these days?

We have a Soundbar already, so as long as a HDMI cable can go from the TV to the Soundbar we're sorted there I think. We have Sky Q which gives us the apps we need (Netflix, Kids YouTube etc.) so I'm not too concerned about the Apps on the TV. We've a BluRay player as well. Oh, and if the TV remote is Bluetooth, I'd love it to be IR as well, so I can use our One For All Remote with it!

Anyhow, any advice appreciated please! Thanks...

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking to replace our 10+ year old 40" TV.

I've done a little bit of research, but there are just so many options out there! From what I have read, I'm looking for a 4K TV with HDR (ideally Dolby) and I can't afford a OLED, but might be able to go for a QLED. Realistically I don't think we'd be going bigger than 50", our room isn't that big, and even a 50" is a big jump from the 40" we currently have.

I've seen some LED TVs with Dolby HDR , and then a Samsung QLED with HDR 10+, but I'm concerned that HDR 10+ might go the way of Betamax if that makes sense? And I don't know which is the better one to get, a QLED or something with Dolby HDR? :)

Apart from that, I need 4 HDMI ports, and in an absolute ideal world I'd love Component Inputs too, but I don't think that's possible these days?

We have a Soundbar already, so as long as a HDMI cable can go from the TV to the Soundbar we're sorted there I think. We have Sky Q which gives us the apps we need (Netflix, Kids YouTube etc.) so I'm not too concerned about the Apps on the TV. We've a BluRay player as well. Oh, and if the TV remote is Bluetooth, I'd love it to be IR as well, so I can use our One For All Remote with it!

Anyhow, any advice appreciated please! Thanks...
    Thanks for the post jasonb!

For the specifications you're looking for I would actually recommend the LG 49NANO866. This TV has a native 100Hz panel so is faster for motion processing than the 50" Samsung QLED, it also has a nanocell panel which works in a similar way to the QLED so in terms of image quality there is not a massive amount of difference. It also supports Dolby Vision which is the predominant format for HDR content on apps like Netflix and Disney Plus. The remote for the TV isn't Bluetooth but it uses a magic remote which has Voice control and a point and click mouse (I have one myself and it works really well!)

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204685-lg-49nano866na-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-nanocell-led-tv-freeview-hd-freesat-hd.aspx

Let me know what you think of this option!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

That actually does look like a good option, thanks! Just checking, I'm guessing that Component ports are a thing of the past with TVs these days and they just don't have them any more?

I live in Kildare, could you let me know how much the total cost would be, including shipping? 

Thanks...

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

That actually does look like a good option, thanks! Just checking, I'm guessing that Component ports are a thing of the past with TVs these days and they just don't have them any more?

I live in Kildare, could you let me know how much the total cost would be, including shipping? 

Thanks...
    Thanks for getting back to me jasonb!

There aren't really any 4K TVs with component inputs unfortunately! Everything is moving to HDMI exclusively.

The total price would be £599 and I can include shipping in that price or 729 euro. There would be no additional customs or charges on your order!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Sounds good David, thanks!

Something just occurred to me. Our soundbar is 90mm tall, and we currently have it in front of our TV on a TV stand (wall mounted isn't an option in our room). As modern TVs have much smaller bezels, will this soundbar block the bottom of the screen of the LG model, or is the TV high enough to avoid it? And if it would be blocked, any ideas how to raise the TV?

The soundbar is a Samsung HW MS650 if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Sounds good David, thanks!

Something just occurred to me. Our soundbar is 90mm tall, and we currently have it in front of our TV on a TV stand (wall mounted isn't an option in our room). As modern TVs have much smaller bezels, will this soundbar block the bottom of the screen of the LG model, or is the TV high enough to avoid it? And if it would be blocked, any ideas how to raise the TV?

The soundbar is a Samsung HW MS650 if that helps at all.

Thanks!

The stand height of the LG is 70mm so you might just get away with it but the top of the soundbar might just obscure the IR repeater at the bottom of the TV!

You could get something like the Sanus FTVS1 which should give a little more height?

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204436-sanus-ftvs1-universal-32-65-inch-tv-pedestal-swivel-stand.aspx

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Thanks David... That stand could work alright, but it's bringing the total price up to €800 which is getting expensive. I might look at the TV without it first and see how it is.

What's the best way of ordering it, on the website?

Thanks...

Thanks David... That stand could work alright, but it's bringing the total price up to €800 which is getting expensive. I might look at the TV without it first and see how it is.

What's the best way of ordering it, on the website?

Thanks...

The website would be the fastest way to order for you but if you have any issues at all please let me know!

Thanks David!

I'm on the website now, and it's charging for delivery, but you said delivery would be free? Any ideas?

Thanks...

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks David!

I'm on the website now, and it's charging for delivery, but you said delivery would be free? Any ideas?

Thanks...
    Hi Jasonb.

David is off today so I hope you don't mind me replying on his behalf.

If you purchase online and pay the delivery, once I see the order arriving I can refund it straight back to you.

Or if you prefer drop me you contact details on a PM and we can give you a call and process it over the phone with the free shipping.

Thanks Kenny, I wasn't expecting a reply on a Sunday!

I've just purchased the TV online there (Order 141592) if you could process the refund I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny, I wasn't expecting a reply on a Sunday!

I've just purchased the TV online there (Order 141592) if you could process the refund I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!
    Hey Jasonb.

I'm working 1pm - 5pm today so always like to try and keep up with the Boardies when I'm in.

Thanks for the order :)

I'll get the delivery refunded straight away for you. It may take a few days to land back into your account.

That's excellent, thanks a lot Kenny! Looking forward to getting the new TV!

That's excellent, thanks a lot Kenny! Looking forward to getting the new TV!
    Hey JasonB.

That's the wee refund processed for you :)

Once it gets dispatched our courier will be in touch with the delivery details.

If you do have any issues please let me know.

That's excellent, thanks a lot Kenny!

That's excellent, thanks a lot Kenny!
    You are more than welcome JasonB :)

Hi there,

Just want to say thanks, I got the new TV yesterday, so only 3 days to get it which was great. Am very happy with it, and it is just over the height of the soundbar, so I won't need a stand either. Thanks for all your help and advice!

Hi there,

Just want to say thanks, I got the new TV yesterday, so only 3 days to get it which was great. Am very happy with it, and it is just over the height of the soundbar, so I won't need a stand either. Thanks for all your help and advice!
    Excellent News JasonB :)

Thanks again for the business we really do appreciate it!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.