Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't have a doctor...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I’ve lived here 40 years and havent been to a doctor in 30. So i wouldn’t say i have “my doctor”... What do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I’ve lived here 40 years and havent been to a doctor in 30. So i wouldn’t say i have “my doctor”... What do I do?

Read the posts above ��

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This is it, I havent been near a doctor in 14 years and the last lad I went to is long dead snd the surgery is now a house again.

I was completely unaware that you needed to ‘register’ with a gp until this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is it, I havent been near a doctor in 14 years and the last lad I went to is long dead snd the surgery is now a house again.

I was completely unaware that you needed to ‘register’ with a gp until this thread.

Eric it only becomes an issue when you have an issue. One of the unintended knock ons for free GP care for under 6s was the huge increase in attendances at GP surgeries with minor ailments, this coupled with increases in numbers with medical cards and reductions in GP numbers means Clinics are over capacity, so many have closed their books to new patients. You don’t want to be looking for a new GP when you need one, so try and register if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So are were you planning on doing the next time you get sick? Rocking up to A&E, even though you didn't need their level of care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

So are were you planning on doing the next time you get sick? Rocking up to A&E, even though you didn't need their level of care?
    whats wrong with that, A&E costs 100 quid so not exactly wasting anyone's time.

scamalert wrote: »
    whats wrong with that, A&E costs 100 quid so not exactly wasting anyone's time.

The clue is in the abbreviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

You don't have to be prior registered with a doctor to visit one. Just book an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,684 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even if you are registered with a surgery, if you didn't turn up for 14 years they are quite likely to not consider you an active patient.

If they run one particular antiqued IT system its quite common to bump inactive patients out to an archive, meaning when you phone for an appointment they can't easily find you.
    You don't have to be prior registered with a doctor to visit one. Just book an appointment.

Plenty of places will not give you an appointment if you aren't registered, though.

Many have closed their books to new patient appointments.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Even if you are registered with a surgery, if you didn't turn up for 14 years they are quite likely to not consider you an active patient.

Plenty of places will not give you an appointment if you aren't registered, though.
    True though I have not had a problem personally on the few occasions I have needed one.

True though I have not had a problem personally on the few occasions I have needed one.

It may be different the next time.

Dav010 wrote: »
    It may be different the next time.
    It will indeed be different as I am now registered with one!

I get your point though. To be on the safe side, register with a doctor so that if you need medical attention you won't have to hunt around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

HSELive’s recommendation for a cohort 4 vaccine was to call local GPs to find one willing to inject me. Got through on the third attempt and being vaccinated on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Marcusm wrote: »
    HSELive’s recommendation for a cohort 4 vaccine was to call local GPs to find one willing to inject me. Got through on the third attempt and being vaccinated on Thursday.

You didn't have a GP?

Or your GP wasn't vaccinating Cohort 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    You didn't have a GP?

Or your GP wasn't vaccinating Cohort 4?

Last time I attended a GP was 2012 in the U.K. before that it was 1986 when I was a teenager in Ireland. I have good medical insurance but have never made a claim (despite my morbid obesity).

Advertisement