Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Well played sir , well played indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Superb from McGill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Well after a 136 and this clearance last 2 frames, he deserves it. Held his nerve when needed most. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭testtech05

Serious nerve from McGill there during that break

Wonder is sligeach flicked over to the Late Late :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Good stuff, great too see a bit of emotion from him at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

I did not see that coming at 10-10. Fair play to Mcgill. I gave him no chance of coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

So happy for McGill. A lot of players would have collapsed entirely when Ronnie started coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

6b0Y.gif

WD Anthony

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Classy interview by Ronny

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Nice words from O’Sullivan - he must be sick but he showed a touch of class there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Sorry I couldn't watch the second half of the last session. Well done McGill. Didn't think he would do it. That's his first victory in 7 attempts against Ronnie. Nicer end to the last final frame decider he was in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think it is bit unfair now. Listening to Colin Murray (Eurosport) he went from Ronnie the artist painting with his cue - when Ronnie was on the comeback trail.

To a different tune when McGill wins and Murray describes it as 'bottle'.

It is more than a bit unfair I think. McGill played great snooker. Got a century second last frame then another big class clearance, under extreme pressure.

If Ronnie did the same the narrative would have been completely different. Annoys me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

As great as it was from McGill, Ronnie must be gutted, he was in prime position and threw it away.

Some bottle from McGill though.

FR01 wrote: »
    Nice words from O’Sullivan - he must be sick but he showed a touch of class there.

Same interviews he always gives always about himself, how he is not bothered, how he has found a way to enjoy it - etc, etc.

Ronnie gurning away there during the interview? Glad for McGill.. showed great character to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I think it is bit unfair now. Listening to Colin Murray (Eurosport) he went from Ronnie the artist painting with his cue - when Ronnie was on the comeback trail.

McGill wins and Murray describes it as 'bottle'.

It is more than a bit unfair I think. McGill played great snooker. Got a century second last frame then another big class clearance, under extreme pressure.

If Ronnie did the same the narrative would have been completely different. Annoys me.

He's a clown, he's the worst thing about watching Eurosport's coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Confirmed now the first season in his entire career ronnie will end it without a title to his name. Had to happen sometime, i suppose.

I'd give him a lot of credit for that match, messed up a bit in the last, but overall dug in, great safety and showed the desire. Just a great match to watch from start to finish with all the usual crucible peaks and troughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ronnie gurning away there during the interview? Glad for McGill.. showed great character to come through.

Yeah. I think ronnie is really gutted and fair play to magill... he's made of steel

Great interview from McGill. He is delighted the crowds are back seemed to feed off the crowd noise.

McGill came out with a great line saying it was awful playing in front of no crowds for a year. But said he does not normally get TV time anyway. So is nearly always playing in front of no crowds at the best of times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Augme wrote: »
    Mcgill might as well just concede now. He's done.

Luckily he kept on going, was it your first time watching snooker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie was gracious in his interview, I don't see how anyone could see it any differently. Clearly very upset but he was all class.

Absolute nerves of steel for McGill to finish the way he did. Grueling match for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

That could easily have been the final last year. McGill is just a Crucible player, a huge haul of his ranking points must come out of Sheffield.

A bit of a stutter to Ronnie's step now he's gone a whole season without winning a tournament. Several finals but last year's semi against Selby was a freak of nature Ronnie has to play well to compete now. It's great for snooker to see the strength in depth throughout this last 16 and who can predict a winner. So much more enjoyable than the Davis and Hendry processions back in the day for me.

Was keeping an eye on wilson-hawkins earlier and then forgot about it, seemed wilson was in process of running away with it and just now i see its only 9-7. Lot of mileage left in that one id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

To a different tune when McGill wins and Murray describes it as 'bottle'.

Murray is a bit too much in awe of Ronnie. He was fawning over him last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

siblers wrote: »
    Murray is a bit too much in awe of Ronnie. He was fawning over him last year

He lost the run of himself while talking to McGill. He had his hand over his face when asking a question. Looked a bit odd.

Now that that the rocket crashed out. It is chance, for someone else to get it.

I would like someone new to win the title this year - that has never won it before.

Former World Champs (7 players) :

Bingham, Higgins, Williams, Selby, Robertson. Murphy, Trump

(14 World titles between them)

v

Never Won it (8 players):

McGill, Jones, K. Wilson, Hawkins, Allen, Lisowski, Yan, Gilbert

--

It is actually a decent spilt of 'the pack'.

• Advertisement

Now that that the rocket crashed out. It is chance, for someone else to get it.

I would like someone new to win the title this year - that has never won it before.

Former World Champs (7 players) :

Bingham, Higgins, Williams, Selby, Robertson. Murphy, Trump

(14 World titles between them)

v

Never Won it (8 players):

McGill, Jones, K. Wilson, Hawkins, Allen, Lisowski, Yan, Gilbert

--

It is actually a decent spilt of 'the pack'.

The best if the potential first timers are in the right side of the draw at least. Selby dies look in good form but an easy first match.

If I had to make a pick on the first time winners McGill is the strongest candidate. Allen looks dangerous too. Just not sure I can see Kyren winning one yet, doesn't always seem to strike me as having the strongest temperament.

A few, including Neal Foulds who is a pretty shrewd judge tbf, have been tipping up Allen for a while which surprises me as i haven't seen enough from him through the years to suggest he could go all the way here. Love to be proved wrong on that as i genuinely like Mark and it would be good for irish snooker. Beat selby, though? I'm close to thinking selby is close to being the likeliest winner, man on a mission this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, tbh I don't really see Allen beating Selby although I think he does have a good record against him.

After the way he lost the semi last year Selby will be very determined. I do think he's the second favourite behind Judd and and final between those two would be fascinating. I could see Robertson beating judd but not Selby.

The Allen talk will be on the back of the Champion of Champions win this year. But he has done little else

McGill is now clear fourth favourite with the books, behind judd, robbo and selby. 100/1 not so far back. Suppose that's fair enough but higgins/mjw and possibly selby just to reach final. Hmmm, still quite an ask i think.

• Advertisement

The Allen talk will be on the back of the Champion of Champions win this year. But he has done little else

Cant think of two more different events than coc and world championships tbh. Well, shoot out i suppose but beyond that. Also played on completely different tables, allen absolutely adores those lightning quick rassons. Not ruling him out but personally I'd need quite a bit more form than that to be that confident about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 grape86

Yan Bingtao currently at 20/1 is a very juicy price..

grape86 wrote: »
    Yan Bingtao currently at 20/1 is a very juicy price..

Considered a cut off him as I expect him to beat Murphy but was hoping for a little more than 22/1, hes currently that on bet365. Saying that, the only time I've seen him play was in the masters final and he beat Higgins 10-8 after being down 7-5 so that's quite impressive.

I'll probably talk myself into a fiver each way in the morning lol

The Yan-Murphy match is a very interesting one. Probably fair enough for yan to be favourite but I'd be happy enough in murphys shoes to be the underdog. Maybe not playing great this season, whether due to lockdown or whatever, but bit of pressure on yan now that he is getting talked up a little bit. I think murph might have one good match in him but wouldn't be betting large on it or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just a reminder, has been an ordeal for him tonight, but this lad does have proper stones.

I missed the whole day.

Read through the thread til 12-12 and just watched the final frame there on playback. **** me the stones on him is right.

That red he took when he fell short on the blue was magnificent. The tension on that red was the whole game. Wonderful snooker.

Just like when Kerry and the Patriots are knocked out of the championship, I can start to enjoy this championship now that the Ronnie's gone.

Fair ****s Anthony McGill. Makes up for losing that epic last year I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

McGill is now clear fourth favourite with the books, behind judd, robbo and selby. 100/1 not so far back. Suppose that's fair enough but higgins/mjw and possibly selby just to reach final. Hmmm, still quite an ask i think.

McGill plays the winner of Bingham and Jones to get to semi . He will then play whoever comes out of selby v allen mjw v Higgins quarter .he’s evens tonight to win his quarter final I think that’s worth a cut . Would have him slight fav v Bingham and a big one v Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That could easily have been the final last year. McGill is just a Crucible player, a huge haul of his ranking points must come out of Sheffield.

A bit of a stutter to Ronnie's step now he's gone a whole season without winning a tournament. Several finals but last year's semi against Selby was a freak of nature Ronnie has to play well to compete now. It's great for snooker to see the strength in depth throughout this last 16 and who can predict a winner. So much more enjoyable than the Davis and Hendry processions back in the day for me.

Totally, the more competitive the better.

Those who believe the Ronnie schtick of ‘not being arsed’... traveling 180 miles to stay in a different city, during a pandemic... and competing in a tournament ? ...he’s arsed enough...just not playing well enough. Or actually outplayed anyway...

spurshero wrote: »
    McGill plays the winner of Bingham and Jones to get to semi . He will then play whoever comes out of selby v allen mjw v Higgins quarter .he’s evens tonight to win his quarter final I think that’s worth a cut . Would have him slight fav v Bingham and a big one v Jones

Quite correct. Think my brain just went to mush there for a sec. Completely forgot about bingham-jones altogether, I'd say your reading of it is spot on.

weemcd wrote: »
    Ronnie was gracious in his interview, I don't see how anyone could see it any differently. Clearly very upset but he was all class.

Absolute nerves of steel for McGill to finish the way he did. Grueling match for both.

He was gracious alright, but looked like he was on amphetamines.. maybe it was adrenaline :)

Pretty clinical out of the trap from Robertson this morning, could be about to shut the door firmly on lisowski here.

Nice break from Robertson it wasn't a gimme

Any idea how I can get Higgins v William's? I'm stuck here watching Robertson spank Lisowski around like a ginger step child and hearing the applause for the other table is frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

BBC RB1

stanley1 wrote: »
    BBC RB1

Nah, dont have sky. Need a stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gwan The Big Lisowski!:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement