Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Was a really good safety that won that for Lisowski which is always encouraging to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Can’t see Williams losing it from here

Higgins will be doing very well to get out of this 6-10 this morning, looks almost best case scenario. Probably not a massive shock when you consider their first round form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Just goes to show how form and making bets is hazardous these days. Higgins was unplayable a month ago, got to the Masters final only just missing out, and had been to two World finals in 2018 and 2019. You'd have him favourite for this match, and hard to shift out of the way in the Crucible, but he has done nothing so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Was wracking my brains to think of who Neil Robertson reminded me of - its prince Edward from braveheart

braveheart%25281996%2529_5694.jpg

Just goes to show how form and making bets is hazardous these days. Higgins was unplayable a month ago, got to the Masters final only just missing out, and had been to two World finals in 2018 and 2019. You'd have him favourite for this match, and hard to shift out of the way in the Crucible, but he has done nothing so far this year.

Very fair point. Almost feels like higgins was all the time ramping up the pressure on himself, setting a level he was going to find difficult to match while mjw came here with no expectations, just have a cut attitude and see how far it takes him. Something like that anyway, not a million miles from attitude that won it in 2018.

Feel for Lisowski there. Robertson had two massive flukes this morning that won him 2 frames. Jack played what was up there with best safety shots I've seen in ages in that frame but just didnt make it count. Going to lose surely, but that's first time I've seen so many encouraging signs about his development and maturity. Haven't even seen a single right handed howler from him yet which is notable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Higgins on for a 147 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

147 on for Higgins. One red in the wrong end of table though...

• Advertisement

What a terrible shot on the last red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

tanko wrote: »
    What a terrible shot on the last red.

Yeah I thought he got a decent angle on last red and was already looking to the green!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not sure if its been mentioned but you can sign up for a free 30 day trial for a VPN and then you can watch all the snooker on the BBC iPlayer.

He had all the hard work done, perfect position on the last red but his touch let him down yet again and couldn't have finished up in a worse place.
    That shot sums up this match for Higgins.

6-10 still on here, still be a mountain to climb but a result from where he was 30-40 minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

The Nal wrote: »
    Not sure if its been mentioned but you can sign up for a free 30 day trial for a VPN and then you can watch all the snooker on the BBC iPlayer.

Cheers. Got sorted with a stream. Ty for mentioning though.

Cuppa tae, snooker and the dog. Grand afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i had a small bet on lisowski...but am actually glad robertson progresses...the right man won.

gutted ronnie is out though

6-10 still on here, still be a mountain to climb but a result from where he was 30-40 minutes ago.

Dare I say we could get another decider akin to Ronnie v McGill last night. Not sure Higgins has 4 or 5 without reply in him and Williams isn't likely to let it get into his head enough but if he can rattle off the first 2 frames later, it could get interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dobman88 wrote: »
    Cheers. Got sorted with a stream. Ty for mentioning though.

Cuppa tae, snooker and the dog. Grand afternoon.

I cancelled my Eurosport account back in January, or should I say, i thought i did.

Worked out well there.

Higgins does get it to 6-10, keeps it interesting. Pot success stats higgins 93% williams 88%. Not sure was that just last session or whole match, but interesting reading nonetheless.

Dare I say we could get another decider akin to Ronnie v McGill last night. Not sure Higgins has 4 or 5 without reply in him and Williams isn't likely to let it get into his head enough but if he can rattle off the first 2 frames later, it could get interesting

3-1 next mini session to higgins and I'd say game on for sure. How he'd surely have loved for the match to continue there, was looking like a serious momentum shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Unreal! I knew they would, and of course they did, the BBC start off today's programme all about Ronnie. The sooner we get this out of the way, the better. More pathetic drooling over O'Sullivan. So we can talk about other people.

Neil Robertson beat Jack Lisowski as well, but you wouldn't know.

sligeach wrote: »
    Unreal! I knew they would, and of course they did, the BBC start off today's programme all about Ronnie. The sooner we get this out of the way, the better. More pathetic drooling over O'Sullivan. So we can talk about other people.

Neil Robertson beat Jack Lisowski last night as well, but you wouldn't know.

:pac: the red mist has well and truly descended.

Robertson beat Lisowski this morning, they analysed it in depth just over an hour ago.

Robertson beat Lisowski this morning, they analysed it in depth just over an hour ago.

I corrected myself about this mornings match straight away. I'm only tuning in now for this afternoons session, didn't hear or see their Ronnie worship this morning. Which makes this fawning over Ronnie even more pathetic, they're still banging on about him this afternoon. Not a single word said yet about the 2 matches coming up, oh sorry, there was a single sentence I think.

I corrected myself about this mornings match straight away. I'm only tuning in now for this afternoons session, didn't hear or see their Ronnie worship this morning. Which makes this fawning over Ronnie even more pathetic, they're still banging on about him.

I'd imagine they'll do analysis on it after showing the final frame here from earlier.

I can't imagine being so angry about something so trivial tbh.

I'd imagine they'll do analysis on it after showing the final frame here from earlier.

I can't imagine being so angry about something so trivial tbh.

There was 31 other players(at this point) hoping to win the title. But every year it's all about Ronnie until he goes out. It's extremely annoying the bias the BBC show towards him. It's disrespectful to the other players as well, and I'm sure they don't like it either.

There was 31 other players hoping to win the title. But every year it's all about Ronnie until he goes out. It's extremely annoying the bias the BBC show towards him. It's disrespectful to the other players as well, and I'm sure they don't like it either.

Fair enough. Hes a marmite character but he is the big draw so that's why he gets talked about.

I generally dont watch the "analysis" piece of any sport. Snooker, Gaa, whatever. I use that time to make a cuppa or use the jacks. If it bothers you that much you're probably better off either accepting that he is the draw to talk about or just switching off for a few minutes.

Fair enough. Hes a marmite character but he is the big draw so that's why he gets talked about.

I generally dont watch the "analysis" piece of any sport. Snooker, Gaa, whatever. I use that time to make a cuppa or use the jacks. If it bothers you that much you're probably better off either accepting that he is the draw to talk about or just switching off for a few minutes.

As a Kerryman you should know all about such fawning. :P

I'm with Sligeach on this. It's frustrating when the focus is all on one player. TBF, he only got beaten last night, so hopefully that's the end of it today now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Strumms wrote: »
    Totally, the more competitive the better.

Those who believe the Ronnie schtick of ‘not being arsed’... traveling 180 miles to stay in a different city, during a pandemic... and competing in a tournament ? ...he’s arsed enough...just not playing well enough. Or actually outplayed anyway...

I was thinking about it I actually think Ronnie had it but 'choked' or whatever you want to call it. When the winning line was in sight. Basically because of the massive pressure McGill put on him all of sudden at the business end.

There were a few very un-Ronnie like misses in those last few frames. If McGill did not put Ronnie under that pressure I don't think he would have missed those shots.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The guys are all 45/46. In a few years they'll be gone from the sport. Enjoy it while it lasts

I was thinking about it I actually think Ronnie had it but 'choked' or whatever you want to call it. When the winning line was in sight. Basically because of the massive pressure McGill put on him all of sudden at the business end.

There were a few very un-Ronnie like misses in those last few frames. If McGill did not put Ronnie under that pressure I don't think he would have missed those shots.

The missed red that brought McGill back into the frame was the epitome of a shot where the pressure got to him.

• Advertisement

That was unfortunate.

That last blue ronnie played. He took 1 min 20 seconds on it, got up off it 3 or was it even 4 times, and then didnt even seem to play it the way he wanted. He did look at green very briefly but shook his head at it, i thought that maybe was the shot, but different story when you're the one in that cauldron, even when you're a six times champion!

Against my better judgment I've allowed myself to fall back into "believing in mark allen" mode. Hope he can keep this tight first session.

Neil Robertson beat Jack Lisowski as well, but you wouldn't know.

I corrected myself about this mornings match straight away. I'm only tuning in now for this afternoons session, didn't hear or see their Ronnie worship this morning. Which makes this fawning over Ronnie even more pathetic, they're still banging on about him this afternoon. Not a single word said yet about the 2 matches coming up, oh sorry, there was a single sentence I think.
    There was 31 other players(at this point) hoping to win the title. But every year it's all about Ronnie until he goes out. It's extremely annoying the bias the BBC show towards him. It's disrespectful to the other players as well, and I'm sure they don't like it either.

As a Kerryman you should know all about such fawning. :P

I'm with Sligeach on this. It's frustrating when the focus is all on one player. TBF, he only got beaten last night, so hopefully that's the end of it today now.

I think these few posts are gas because it is proving Eurosport and the BBC's points - Love him or hate him Ronnie is the main draw.
    He gets the 'bums on seats' and 'heated' conversations going.

I understand how the 'enigma' line and those interviews Ronnie does (well worn introspective stuff) can get tiring.

Before Ronnie won the world title last year John Parrott seemed utterly shocked that the last title Ronnie won was in 2013. It was as if Parrott was giving O'Sullivan titles in his head, based on reputation alone.

But I always like watching O'Sullivan, will his unnatural amount of natural talent drag him through under pressure? Will he go back to his 'old Ronnie' way where he used to fold easy etc.

Then of course there is always the long game question (not just potting) the question of will Ronnie get the 7 world titles. It is always the story in the background.

Theoretically each year that passes it becomes less likely. And Hendry can sleep more soundly.

But to paraphrase those broadcasters 'this is Ronnie you never know with Ronnie'. :D

'Enigma, flawed genius, the Mozart of snooker etc' :D

The missed red that brought McGill back into the frame was the epitome of a shot where the pressure got to him.

What does annoy me is the different narrative given to players. As I said yesterday.
    The first and basically only term used/implied to describe how McGill played by pundits/presenters was 'bottle'. It was as if did not play top class snooker kind of an insult.

You can be sure if McGill lost it would be the 'he choked' line. But I have never heard anyone ever say Ronnie 'choked' under pressure. Even when he clearly did.
    If they did I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Not enjoying the large amount of, possibly self indulgent, TV coverage one particular player receives and then posting online about it, forcing others to read through pages of self indulgent complaining about the same player is more than a little ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Love him or hate him Ronnie is the face of snooker, by far the most popular player among watchers so the fact he gets more coverage and interest is just something that comes with that territory.

Hawkins v Wilson is shaping up nicely. Think I saw Barry 9-4 down last night, so 5 frames in a row for 9-9. Wilson looks like taking Frame 19.

Would have been amazing clearance if hawkins hadnt fluffed last red there, reprieve for wilson but i think hawkins still looking the sharper. Whether Wilsons obvious neck issue is discomforting him or not.

Would have been amazing clearance if hawkins hadnt fluffed last red there, reprieve for wilson but i think hawkins still looking the sharper. Whether Wilsons obvious neck issue is discomforting him or not.

Was this neck issue discussed in coverage at all? Wonder how long it’s been bothering him. I just noticed him performing some chiropractic manoeuvres on himself in his chair there.

• Advertisement

I think these few posts are gas because it is proving Eurosport and the BBC's points - Love him or hate him Ronnie is the main draw.
    He gets the 'bums on seats' and 'heated' conversations going.

I understand how the 'enigma' line and those interviews Ronnie does (well worn introspective stuff) can get tiring.

Before Ronnie won the world title last year John Parrott seemed utterly shocked that the last title Ronnie won was in 2013. It was as if Parrott was giving O'Sullivan titles in his head, based on reputation alone.

But I always like watching O'Sullivan, will his unnatural amount of natural talent drag him through under pressure? Will he go back to his 'old Ronnie' way where he used to fold easy etc.

Then of course there is always the long game question (not just potting) the question of will Ronnie get the 7 world titles. It is always the story in the background.

Theoretically each year that passes it becomes less likely. And Hendry can sleep more soundly.

But to paraphrase those broadcasters 'this is Ronnie you never know with Ronnie'. :D

'Enigma, flawed genius, the Mozart of snooker etc' :D

He's an astounding player. But the thing is that before during and after the championship it's all about him. We always complain about the lack of characters in the game but if the whole game revolves around one guy, how can anyone else break out.

It's the same shizz with Lewis Hamilton and Tom Brady, we geddit, but there's others out there for God sake.

Was this neck issue discussed in coverage at all? Wonder how long it’s been bothering him. I just noticed him performing some chiropractic manoeuvres on himself in his chair there.

Yeah, he was doing it yesterday too so suspect theres some issue there. Dom was speculating about a stress injury, but hard to say really. Obviously no more details than that. Made quite a meal of winning that frame in the end, but he is in front again.

Yeah, he was doing it yesterday too so suspect theres some issue there. Dom was speculating about a stress injury, but hard to say really. Obviously no more details than that. Made quite a meal of winning that frame in the end, but he is in front again.

Lads on BBC were just discussing it and Hazel mentioned a car accident in December from which he got a back injury. And they were speculating that maybe it's a knock on injury from that.

Can see him in his chair constantly moving his head around with his hands.

Twice now hawkins has let wilson off the hook big time. What happened on that red i've no idea, how he actually managed to catch it too thick. Wilson was vulnerable there but has the upper hand again now.

There could be a strike in the commentators union over manning levels.
    Anthony Hamilton is doing the work of two men, leaving the other man nothing to do/say.

Everybody out!

Twice now hawkins has let wilson off the hook big time. What happened on that red i've no idea, how he actually managed to catch it too thick. Wilson was vulnerable there but has the upper hand again now.

Yeah, 11-10 now and I think if Barry cuts out those errors he wins this match.

• Advertisement

Yeah, 11-10 now and I think if Barry cuts out those errors he wins this match.

I am kind of hoping Hawkins wins it still he is 12-10 down now though.

Because I feel he is better equipped to win the tournament than Kyren.
    Hawkins knocking on the crucible door for a while now. He has the all-round game.

Plus I really enjoyed the long 40 minute frame. Think it was frame 19 at 9-9. Long bout of safety. Both players not afraid to dig in. Which is nice to see now and again. Instead of one frame visit stuff.

Kyren through to the QF - 13-10

(Finished with a ton as well - Kyren's 6th QF in a row)

Playing the Aussie next.

Thought Wilson was wilting but 2 mistakes from Barry, 1 missed pot, 1 safety error and he ruthlessly punished both to win the last 2 frames.

Wilson puzzles me, sometimes he looks very vulnerable to pressure, then other times he’s rock solid.

Wilson puzzles me, sometimes he looks very vulnerable to pressure, then other times he’s rock solid.

That is why I don't think he will win it. For some reason I view Hawkins as the more all round solid player. Even though Kyren has the better quality - and Kyren beat him.

Maybe I am way wrong and Kryen will go one better this year. But I would have a few players ahead of him.

Hawkins is a good player but a long career where he's only ever won 3 ranking titles and done well at the crucible while never being able to quite do it at the business end shows his limitations i think. Never managed to bridge that gap to the very top table. Kyren seems to me to be in a similar position, but with quite a lot of time on his side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement