Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Is this a joke? BBC had 1 hour of live coverage this evening and won't be back until the highlights tonight. What about BBC4? They wouldn't have done this to their hero Ronnie. Their TV coverage is a disgrace, it's not like they have many sports rights left to broadcast, and they treat it like crap. Their snooker website is a farce as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

sligeach wrote: »
    Is this a joke? BBC had 1 hour of live coverage this evening and won't be back until the highlights tonight. What about BBC4? They wouldn't have done this to their hero Ronnie.

The only joke is that you are still whinging about Ronnie even when he's gone.
    It's patethic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Gilbert seems like a decent guy going on his demeanour in this game with Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Who’s that commentating on bbc with McManus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Absolutely massive frame for Trump to steal there

• Advertisement

Holy Diver wrote: »

Jack Lisowski

Lisowski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

sligeach wrote: »
    Is this a joke? BBC had 1 hour of live coverage this evening and won't be back until the highlights tonight. What about BBC4? They wouldn't have done this to their hero Ronnie. Their TV coverage is a disgrace, it's not like they have many sports rights left to broadcast, and they treat it like crap. Their snooker website is a farce as well.

Dont turn on eurosport, they had Ronnie in the studio :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Alan calling him Jack. I think listening to him it's Lisowski.

Jack Lisowski

Think he's doing a good job too. I've enjoyed his opinion on things. He's good mates with Trump and Gilbert so made sense to get him in for that one. He did well.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Dont turn on eurosport, they had Ronnie in the studio :pac:

How is he after Friday? Another crucible classic...selby in the semi again would have been too much for us

Donnie90 wrote: »
    How is he after Friday? Another crucible classic...selby in the semi again would have been too much for us

Seemed grand. They were asking him about Kyren Wilson and then talking about the games this evening. Nothing strenuous or outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

tanko wrote: »
    I dunno, he could have changed his mind no problem when he saw the white go in. He won't win much with that attitude.

The rule is you cant change your decision when you declare, otherwise he would have. Though i do recall this cropping up with Gary Wilson earlier, similar situation but with free ball instead of in off, and iirc ref did allow Wilson to take fb even though he'd already declared play again. So may be a grey area there.

Think he's doing a good job too. I've enjoyed his opinion on things. He's good mates with Trump and Gilbert so made sense to get him in for that one. He did well.

Yeah I’ve liked him so far. Not as polished as some of the other commentators so getting a bit more out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Who’s commentating on Eurosport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭BrianJD

spurshero wrote: »
    Who’s commentating on Eurosport

Don’t know but he talks too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Looks like Trump has had a job done on his hair. Was see through a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Looks like Trump has had a job done on his hair. Was see through a few years ago.

Has he borrowed Jimmy white's syrup?

BrianJD wrote: »
    Don’t know but he talks too much!

Jesus he’s a dose whoever he is

Jesus he’s a dose whoever he is

Anthony Hamilton.

• Advertisement

Anthony Hamilton.

If he says "cush" one more time...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

If he says "cush" one more time...

Or "left/right black bag"

The rule is you cant change your decision when you declare, otherwise he would have. Though i do recall this cropping up with Gary Wilson earlier, similar situation but with free ball instead of in off, and iirc ref did allow Wilson to take fb even though he'd already declared play again. So may be a grey area there.

Fair enough, that would explain why he did it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Shows how pivotal the long frame was.

Can’t see Gilbert coming back from this unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whilst Gilbert was unlucky to pot the yellow in that frame, I was surprised none of the commentators mentioned that it was partly his own fault. It was a really poor escape from the snooker, he should easily have hit the red 'full'. Instead he barely glanced it which led to the white having enough power to pot the yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I feel like Lisowski is a bit young and inexperienced for the comm box. Hasn’t earned his stripes yet.

I feel like Lisowski is a bit young and inexperienced for the comm box. Hasn’t earned his stripes yet.

Jaysus. That's a bit harsh. Not like he will be on regularly. He is knocked out of this years tourney and is good friends with the 2 players he was commentating on. Thats the only reason they had him on. Also, he did very well.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

:D lol

• Advertisement

Hope sligeach isn't watching eurosport with Ronnie still in the studio, the telly will be flying out the window :pac:

It's a conspiracy by the TV channels, almost like he is the big name of the sport or something :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Massive frame for Gilbert, if he lost that it would be hard to see a way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Jaysus. That's a bit harsh. Not like he will be on regularly. He is knocked out of this years tourney and is good friends with the 2 players he was commentating on. Thats the only reason they had him on. Also, he did very well.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

To be clear I was just making a comment about his age and length of time he’s been a snooker player, nothing about his ability as a commentator. Indeed, that wouldn’t have been fair, considering I’m watching on Eurosport, not BBC.

Great hearing lisowski today and tonight. Some really interesting insights, particularly the one about judd never offering any tips or suggestions, even to his best mate on tour. Back in the day steve davis was known for exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,188 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

He is fine and a hell of a lot less annoying to listen to compared to Hamilton!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Gilbert all but gone.

• Advertisement

To be clear I was just making a comment about his age and length of time he’s been a snooker player, nothing about his ability as a commentator. Indeed, that wouldn’t have been fair, considering I’m watching on Eurosport, not BBC.

Fair enough. I had to flick over to eurosport myself when BBC ended their commentary and Lisowski was much better than the chap on eurosport.

Gilbert was gone quite some time ago tbh, hard to watch a player struggling out there like he is but being harsh, he's let judd stomp all over him with his b game. He's had no shortage of chances.

Great hearing lisowski today and tonight. Some really interesting insights, particularly the one about judd never offering any tips or suggestions, even to his best mate on tour. Back in the day steve davis was known for exactly the same thing.

I thought he was pretty good, better than listening to drivel from Taylor or Virgo anyway.
    He said that Judd Trump still uses the old style chalk which is more prone to kicks but Trump reckons using it gives him better control over the cue ball when putting on side etc.
    Also the new type chalk doesn't leave chalk marks all over the table.
    I wonder have many players switched over to the new chalk?

tanko wrote: »
    I thought he was pretty good, better than listening to drivel from Taylor or Virgo anyway.
    He said that Judd Trump still uses the old style chalk which is more prone to kicks but Trump reckons using it gives him better control over the cue ball when putting on side etc.
    Also the new type chalk doesn't leave chalk marks all over the table.
    I wonder have many players switched over to the new chalk?

I think a majority of them have switched by now, but judd and ronnie two who haven't and both seem to get the majority of kicks. Higgins switched around xmas time or just before and said he was asking himself why he hadn't done it sooner. Very interesting what jack said about action on the cue ball, though, hadn't heard that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I agree with Ronnie, said it before myself on here Judd could go on and dominate if he put himself to it, the best players are older, upper 30's, not a lot of talent at Judds age, especially not at Judds level and I don't see anyone with that kind of potential.

• Advertisement

Masters champion Yan is a "bit of a plodder" apparently. A few typically forthright opinions from ronnie in the eurosport hot seat tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Masters champion Yan is a "bit of a plodder" apparently. A few typically forthright opinions from ronnie in the eurosport hot seat tonight.

So the Masters champion at 20 is a plodder? Ronnie was 19 when he won his first.

I think Ronnie just says things for reaction he can't honestly believe he is a 'plodder'. And I hope for Yan's sake his girlfriend does not translate 'plodder' into Chinese for him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ronnie is very bitter . Unbelievable talent as a player but can’t stand him as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Ronnie is very bitter . Unbelievable talent as a player but can’t stand him as a person.

I think i heard Ronnie say before that he played yan a few years ago and thought he was an incredible prospect but that he had hardly developed at all in the interim and had gone backwards if anything (but that was before the Masters win).

So the Masters champion at 20 is a plodder? Ronnie was 19 when he won his first.

I think Ronnie just says things for reaction he can't honestly believe he is a 'plodder'. And I hope for Yan's sake his girlfriend does not translate 'plodder' into Chinese for him.

Yan will definitely have heard about it by tomorrow, if he hasnt already done so. Kyren got off a bit more lightly by being called a "rough diamond". Ronnie has it in his head that there are no decent young players at all so he talks about judd dominating for years and himself and other vets staying going and just sounds dismissive in general. Jimmy argued a little bit, talking about a couple of chinese youngsters he couldn't name (Wu Yize is who I'd say he is talking about) but let ronnie away with it. Shame fouldsy wasn't there because I'm sure he wouldn't have let the bingtao comment go without at least some pushback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

B2021M wrote: »
    I think i heard Ronnie say before that he played yan a few years ago and thought he was an incredible prospect but that he had hardly developed at all in the interim and had gone backwards if anything (but that was before the Masters win).

Big fan of Ronnie as a snooker player, however I just hit the mute button when he starts talking... Yan turned 21 a couple of weeks ago...won two tournaments and got to the final of another...

Yeah, Ronnie always lays into the young lads for some reason and its tiresome tbf. Unexpectedly lost to Jack Lisowski 2 years ago weeks after saying he would need to lose an arm and a leg to drop out of the top 16. Lost to 18 year old cork man Aaron Hill in the first round of European Masters this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Think Jimmy was on about two English boys he saw in Ding's academy. Reckoned they were as good as Higgins&Williams at the same age. Made a point they were English when most of them there are Chinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Have Creedence Clearwater Revival's 'Bad Moon Rising' going through my head all weekend

Thanks to Mark Williams

It's a good tune for him to walk out to

John Higgins had a bit of an odd choice. A 70s disco number - 'Native New Yorker'

The Kyren Wilson one is just in keeping with how I imagine his taste in music would be. Not one I'd probably share. Not a fan of the Neil Robertson one either.

No really cool ones I find, I liked when Anthony McGill had the Smiths 'Charming man' a few years ago.

Some light mid session reading here. Not sure if its paywalled, not for me anyway. Couple of nice stories.

"He is the man who sold fish to Sky by claiming more people went angling every weekend than watched football - "I've no idea whether it was true, but it was a nice line."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snooker-was-a-soap-opera-higgins-was-crazy-werbeniuk-drank-15-pints-a-day-white-was-the-artful-dodger-8ttnxr7sk

• Advertisement
Advertisement