Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah, Ronnie always lays into the young lads for some reason and its tiresome tbf. Unexpectedly lost to Jack Lisowski 2 years ago weeks after saying he would need to lose an arm and a leg to drop out of the top 16. Lost to 18 year old cork man Aaron Hill in the first round of European Masters this year.
    Think Jimmy was on about two English boys he saw in Ding's academy. Reckoned they were as good as Higgins&Williams at the same age. Made a point they were English when most of them there are Chinese.

I think that is the main difference between Jimmy and Ronnie. Similar styles and backgrounds. But Ronnie always has to seem to have a go. Jimmy is the opposite, he talks young players up at any chance he gets. Plus he likes to see young lads succeed. It is why Jimmy is more universally liked than Ronnie.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Some light mid session reading here. Not sure if its paywalled, not for me anyway. Couple of nice stories.

"He is the man who sold fish to Sky by claiming more people went angling every weekend than watched football - "I've no idea whether it was true, but it was a nice line."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snooker-was-a-soap-opera-higgins-was-crazy-werbeniuk-drank-15-pints-a-day-white-was-the-artful-dodger-8ttnxr7sk

I've hit a paywall on that unfortunately. If some kind soul could send it in a PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

To be honest I think some of the walk on music/entrances are a bit over the top. I think something a bit more simple and understated would be better, like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gilbert making a game of this and giving us a mid session interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Have Creedence Clearwater Revival's 'Bad Moon Rising' going through my head all weekend

Thanks to Mark Williams

It's a good tune for him to walk out to

John Higgins had a bit of an odd choice. A 70s disco number - 'Native New Yorker'

The Kyren Wilson one is just in keeping with how I imagine his taste in music would be. Not one I'd probably share. Not a fan of the Neil Robertson one either.

No really cool ones I find, I liked when Anthony McGill had the Smiths 'Charming man' a few years ago.

I think Martin Gould's entrance music is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Ronnie is not really having a go, he's just being honest. The Eurosport boys have an obsession with Thapchiya un Nooh, and Ronnie was asked about him when he was commenting on the shootout. He said he's not young, he's 33, and he's not much good. Ronnie beat him 10-1 in the first round in Sheffield last year. I agree with him, he's OK, but no fear of winning anything important. Also, a player missed a colour into the middle, to win with the last shot of a shootout match, could have been the Iranian dude, can't remember, and Ronnie said, that shot was for 500 quid, and that's why he missed. Someone replied that a professional would not be thinking of that, and Ronnie said, it's 500 quid, he would be. It was a funny exchange and I sided with Ronnie again on it, of course he would have thought about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Could be an early night tonight. Unless Mark Allen gets a move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Have Creedence Clearwater Revival's 'Bad Moon Rising' going through my head all weekend

Thanks to Mark Williams

It's a good tune for him to walk out to

John Higgins had a bit of an odd choice. A 70s disco number - 'Native New Yorker'

The Kyren Wilson one is just in keeping with how I imagine his taste in music would be. Not one I'd probably share. Not a fan of the Neil Robertson one either.

No really cool ones I find, I liked when Anthony McGill had the Smiths 'Charming man' a few years ago.

The John Higgins one is bizarre yes! Although i read that his parents returned to scotland from working in new york shortly before he was born so maybe something to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont envisage any mark allen miracles from here, fairly predictable ending. Draw the curtains on a rather disappointingly uncompetitive last 16 with the exception of mcgill-ronnie. Roll on a few tasty looking quarters. MJW v selby pick of the bunch for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pretty sparse day of action so far :(

They were saying on Eurosport their will 6 World champs in the quarters if Selby comes through, bound to be some fireworks in the next round.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Some brilliant shots by Selby in the last frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Some brilliant shots by Selby in the last frame.

Has to be a front runner for the world along with Trump and Robertson now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Selby-Williams should be good, I fancy Selby this year though.

Phil Studd just nicked my line there, selby indeed like a "man on a mission" this year, real focus and hunger there to make up for last year i think. Have money on mjw but fear for it now. As for allen, as much as i like him, not too surprised to see him come up short again, not sure he ever have it for this level, the mental fortitude required, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Phil Studd just nicked my line there, selby indeed like a "man on a mission" this year, real focus and hunger there to make up for last year i think. Have money on mjw but fear for it now. As for allen, as much as i like him, not too surprised to see him come up short again, not sure he ever have it for this level, the mental fortitude required, sadly.

Yeah i think Allen is a bit like Maguire in that regard. Hard to see them often coming through in best of 19s or higher at this level against the top lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I do hope Williams destroys Selby! Should be a good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

siblers wrote: »
    Gilbert seems like a decent guy going on his demeanour in this game with Trump
    He's genuinely a nice guy from what I've read about him. Just lacks confidence is all. I was praying he'd beat Trump. I really don't like him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Agreed, I think the loss to Ronnie last year really hurt him, he was in such a strong position and must of seriously fancied the final against Wilson had he won that semi against Ronnie.

He just seems super motivated to me and that makes him incredibly dangerous.

He'll be very very tough to beat and these long matches suit him down to the ground.

raclle wrote: »
    He's genuinely a nice guy from what I've read about him. Just lacks confidence is all. I was praying he'd beat Trump. I really don't like him

He was very sporting in one of the frames when Judd went around the table, Dave called for the referee to put the ball back, but it travelled on a bit and left a free ball. In spite of this he stuck with his call and told the referee to stick with it. He was very unlucky not to reach the final two years ago, lost a heartbreaker to Higgins 17-16

B2021M wrote: »
    Yeah i think Allen is a bit like Maguire in that regard. Hard to see them often coming through in best of 19s or higher at this level against the top lads.

One record Maguire owns is the most amount of first round crucible defeats as a seed, a rather staggering 7 which is virtually half his career. Allen is up there with 4 which is a lot for a top player. When allen came through first, i recall thinking here's a player who might have the class and temperament to be a champion but rather than growing, he seemed to only accumulate mental baggage that has weighed him down. Maybe his personal circumstances have contributed to that somewhat.

• Advertisement

He was very sporting in one of the frames when Judd went around the table, Dave called for the referee to put the ball back, but it travelled on a bit and left a free ball. In spite of this he stuck with his call and told the referee to stick with it. He was very unlucky not to reach the final two years ago, lost a heartbreaker to Higgins 17-16

Just to clarify, he had no choice but to stick with the decision once he made it as that is the rule. Otherwise he'd have changed, no question. But was indeed a very sporting thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Some fascinating encounters ahead. The pick is obviously Selby vs Williams on paper but I've a feeling Selby will win it without being put under much pressure. However the bingham vs McGill match I think could be the most interesting. Surprised to see Bingham as favourite.

If Murphy can roll back the years a bit and maintain his game against Trump could a great one too.

Just to clarify, he had no choice but to stick with the decision once he made it as that is the rule. Otherwise he'd have changed, no question. But was indeed a very sporting thing to do.
    Absolutely correct, but the referee didn't hear him, and I don't think anyone else did either. The quarters look good but the last few matches have been one sided after the dramatic Friday night match. This time next week we will all be suffering withdrawal symptoms, the Tuesday morning is confusing, I turn on the TV, and then it dawns on me. Almost every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Augme wrote: »
    Some fascinating encounters ahead. The pick is obviously Selby vs Williams on paper but I've a feeling Selby will win it without being put under much pressure. However the bingham vs McGill match I think could be the most interesting. Surprised to see Bingham as favourite.

If Murphy can roll back the years a bit and maintain his game against Trump could a great one too.

Very surprised that Murphy vs. Trump isn’t getting more chat in here, the way Shaun is playing it could be the match of the tournament as long as Trump also plays to the best of his ability. Hoping to watch every frame of that one.

If I was to predict the semi final lineup now, I’d go for McGill vs. Selby and Robertson vs. Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

The quarters are bound to be more competitive than the last round, really looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's a pity Trump is facing Murphy in this round. I'll be sorry to see one of them lose. This Championship is of vastly much better quality so far than all of last year's tournament. Last year was the worst I can ever remember. I think the players know it as well, and it shows in their game.

This is a fascinating contest under way. Robertsons superior potting and breakbuilding against wilsons resolve and never say die attitude. Good break by wilson in the last but couple of familiar cue ball control issues already in evidence. Robbo obviously clear favourite but can see wilson sticking with him most of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ya just can miss the black that Wilson missed for frame there against players like robertson. Brown to blue that ultimately cost him as made clearance more difficult then it needed to be .

He overshot position on the blue by a foot at least, why was he anywhere near middle pocket with it. Possible in off on the black is why hr missed it, but losing cue ball was the catalyst. Usually is with kyren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

He overshot position on the blue by a foot at least, why was he anywhere near middle pocket with it. Possible in off on the black is why hr missed it, but losing cue ball was the catalyst. Usually is with kyren.

Ya . I actually fancied him to miss the pink if that’s the right way to put it . Didn’t see him missing black . Looks like 3 1 down now instead of being 2 1 up 10 mins ago. Big swing even this early

• Advertisement

Pink was a great pot, could have finished plum on the black but that's no excuse for missing it. And then of course, robbo knocks in long red and next frame over in a tick. First big punch in the gut for kyren, needs to be getting at least 2 of the next 4 or he's going to be dipping into the reserve tank sooner than he'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Slow play on table 1. 90 minutes in and Bingham McGill are still mopping up frame 3.

Ok, robbo helped by a huge fluke there but kyren was in the balls and let it slip from him. Allowing a top class opponent some leeway here.

See they have a 'new' (new to me anyway) stat for "positional success" - flashed up a couple of frames back - Robbo was about 20% ahead in that dept ,iirc

Will they get the last frame in here? Become a bit of a grind this match.

See they have a 'new' (new to me anyway) stat for "positional success" - flashed up a couple of frames back - Robbo was about 20% ahead in that dept ,iirc

That’s interesting I haven’t seen that yet. The best statistics are those that are actually an indication of how well a player is playing and that is definitely one. They have a few fairly pointless ones like total balls potted and % table time which don’t really tell you anything.

Just about squeeze it in, kyren not winning the tight frames not a great sign for him.

That’s interesting I haven’t seen that yet. The best statistics are those that are actually an indication of how well a player is playing and that is definitely one. They have a few fairly pointless ones like total balls potted and % table time which don’t really tell you anything.

Ya, first I seen of it.... Think it was on Eurosport (was flicking through channels... Watching the other match on the red button; until the Beeb decided to go with news on BBC2, and then the Neil/Wilson match took precedent on the red).. Anyhoo, Robbo was in the 70s, and Wilson, the 50s - percentage wise for that particular stat.....

As engrossing the McGill/Bingham match appears to be (if I could see it) , the next two matches both have 4 former champions (and all have chances of winning it out, I feel - backed Murphy myself at 16s, after Ron and Bazza let me down) ; so even though they went to the ruddy news on BBC2; it would be a major travesty if snooker fans aint got the option of watching both matches coming up in the next hour...

• Advertisement

Oh that is a good one. I will have to keep an eye out for that.
    After a while it should show if the players people think are the best 'amongst the balls' really are. You would think the likes of O'Sullivan and Ding would be the top of the tree there.

Whose is ever doing those stats would have to have a high level of knowledge in the game though?

I assume it just based on finding position on the next red at a certain range.
    And does it go to the real nitty gritty. If a fella landed on the 'wrong side' of the blue for example should that count as a bad positional shot stats wise? :P

Oh that is a good one. I will have to keep an eye out for that.
    After a while it should show if the players people think are the best 'amongst the balls' really are. You would think the likes of O'Sullivan and Ding would be the top of the tree there.

Whose is ever doing those stats would have to have a high level of knowledge in the game though?

I assume it just based on finding position on the next red at a certain range.
    And does it go to the real nitty gritty. If a fella landed on the 'wrong side' of the blue for example should that count as a bad positional shot stats wise? :P

A lot of it would have to be subjective imo.... I reckon a jammy type shot that overruns/gets a friendly kiss, and lands plum would count... Have never seen any of the pundits do an in-depth rundown on what constitutes "success" in the relevant departments.. Hear they reference it alright, but for us TV watching folk, it would be good to have the chaps on who are responsible for coming up with them stats... Safety is a good one - what if a player gets a "great white" in baulk, but opponent responds with a cracking pot..

Would be more engrossing than watching yet another Q & A with Kyren Wilson :pac::pac::pac: What's your favourite snack? For all that folk say it's all Ronnie talk; I feel that they're really trying to big up 'The Warrior' with these ubiquitous whimsical Q & As :pac: :(

There was a bit of chat about these stats a number of pages back. Dont think they're very reliable, maybe just give a general guide. Pot success probably the most straightforward. Not 100% certain but think safety success is defined as any ball that passes the baulk line. How they precisely define positional success, who knows.

Would be more engrossing than watching yet another Q & A with Kyren Wilson :pac::pac::pac: What's your favourite snack? For all that folk say it's all Ronnie talk; I feel that they're really trying to big up 'The Warrior' with these ubiquitous whimsical Q & As :pac: :(

What do warriors eat anyway? So what your saying is Kyren is been given the heir apparent treatment. In the anticipation of the probable Kyren v Judd showdown?

I got to be honest bar two or three matches this year's tournament has been fairly underwhelming. Hoping for a spark from the QF's on now.

There are only two lads who have no won it before in the last 8. McGill and Kyren.
    Hope one of those win it.

I think the warrior nickname would be better suited to McGill!

What do warriors eat anyway? So what your saying is Kyren is been given the heir apparent treatment. In the anticipation of the probable Kyren v Judd showdown?

I got to be honest bar two or three matches this year's tournament has been fairly underwhelming. Hoping for a spark from the QF's on now.

There are only two lads who have no won it before in the last 8. McGill and Kyren.
    Hope one of those win it.

I think the warrior nickname would be better suited to McGill!

I don't know about 'heir apparent' , but it certainly feels like it.. Mebbe it's confirmation bias or summit like that :p , but I notice that he does be in the box an awful lot for these inane 'getting to know' type pieces... I reckon if Jackpot gets more consistent, then he'll assume the heir apparent mantle - far more entertaining/talented/photogenic and all that jazz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

selby is so good...a joy to watch...reminds me of a peak hendry.

• Advertisement

I don't know about 'heir apparent' , but it certainly feels like it.. Mebbe it's confirmation bias or summit like that :p , but I notice that he does be in the box an awful lot for these inane 'getting to know' type pieces... I reckon if Jackpot gets more consistent, then he'll assume the heir apparent mantle - far more entertaining/talented/photogenic and all that jazz :D

I always thought that 'Warrior' nickname for Kyren was misplaced. Since when do warriors break into tears in the heat of battle and talk about their 'feelings' ?

You wouldn't have got Hendry/Steve Davis doing that ruthless cold blooded snooker assassins.

Williams comes up almost a foot short of the pack from his break off, Selby has it “put back”. Missing the pack from a break off is something I never thought I’d see in the pro game. Farcical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Murphy looks very confident

I always thought that 'Warrior' nickname for Kyren was misplaced. Since when do warriors break into tears in the heat of battle and talk about their 'feelings' ?

You wouldn't have got Hendry/Steve Davis doing that ruthless cold blooded snooker assassins.

I guess that's why they don't call him 'the assassin' - If watching films like Braveheart have taught me nowt else; it's that "Warriors" are indeed prone to getting teary (normally after battles though :p)

Couldn’t agree more, Wilson is a wimp at times. Far too apologetic when he got that fluke against McGill last year. Ruthless winners love a bit of luck. Hendry would have danced back to his dressing room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement