Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bingham great positional play few touch shots black on spot and he is motoring.
    Hardly gets talked about but he has 8 147's and over 500 centuries. Yet he hardly gets mentioned when people talk about the big scorers in the game. I find that odd.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Hardly gets talked about but he has 8 147's and over 500 centuries. Yet he hardly gets mentioned when people talk about the big scorers in the game. I find that odd.

Indeed.. Over 5 hundred centuries, and 4th; with 8 or so 147s, behind Ronnie, Stephen and John.

raclle wrote: »
    Robbo threw away a few frames

I think Kyren is blessed to be in this game he seems to be making lots of mistakes and is helping Robertson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This break from Bingham has been top drawer.

That cannon into the last red was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Robbo not flowing here at all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

One of the ITV tournaments back in February in his match were he beat Judd 6-5, Bingham was trying to make a maximum for about three frames in the space of an hour. And looked like he was going to get one.

Anthony could be well in here... Great pot on that red..... Done Desi a solid too, by not having them replaced..... Could be well in there as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"Kyrens the better struggler"'. Think thats a fairly on the money summing up from ronnie.

"Kyrens the better struggler"'. Think thats a fairly on the money summing up from ronnie.

That is good one now. I will give Ronnie that! Had to switch over from it both lads like as if they were walking through mud. I thought Kyren was looking more frustrated though body language wise.

Quality of Bingham v McGill much better. And the battle of the cueballs has the air of a 13-12 already I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

There is definitely a fragility to both Robertson's and Wilson's game but it's hurting Robertson the most here, whether wilson can push on I don't know, neither convince me tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jaysus some great shots by McGill in that frame.

Robbo v kyren is fascinating, watching two guys struggling to find their form and battling with themselves as much as their opponent. Each to their own i guess and i enjoy that, something kind of ennobling about it. Snooker isnt supposed to be an easy game and pressure can often be the greatest leveller.

Flipping hell McGill doing all sorts of exhibition shots that Jimmy White would be proud of.
    I don't know who I want to win the match at this stage. Him or Bingham. Because the quality has been that good. It is one of those where it is a pity there has to be loser.
    Great tactical play, big breaks, lots of fight and determination.
    Enjoyable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The BBC anchor in studio with Ken. Who is she?

Hmm...foxy!

Robbo v kyren is fascinating, watching two guys struggling to find their form and battling with themselves as much as their opponent. Each to their own i guess and i enjoy that, something kind of ennobling about it. Snooker isnt supposed to be an easy game and pressure can often be the greatest leveller.

I love those games as well.

But this other yoke is really a dinger.

Edit: that long pot to start frame 15 was a beaut.

walshb wrote: »
    The BBC anchor in studio with Ken. Who is she?

Hmm...foxy!

Seema. Good at her job too she is.

This McGill / Bingham match is top drawer. 7 apiece. Would not be out of place for a final, with the quality on show here... Mon Anthony!

This McGill / Bingham match is top drawer. 7 apiece. Would not be out of place for a final, with the quality on show here... Mon Anthony!

Unbelievable start to this frame from McGill.

There is definitely a fragility to both Robertson's and Wilson's game but it's hurting Robertson the most here, whether wilson can push on I don't know, neither convince me tbh..

Both players seemed to be really suffering not enjoying it. I couldn't stick watching their frustration. Both annoyed at themselves.

Anyone who has BBC4 can tune in to the 'Battle of the Cueballs' :)

• Advertisement

Unbelievable start to this frame from McGill.

Pockets must seem like buckets to him. It's ridiculous the amount of crazy pots he has got in quick succession.

Anyone who has BBC4 can tune in to the 'Battle of the Cueballs' :)

Even Desi is having a great reffing game difficult respots, telling the crowd to cop on.

I just looked up McGill's age on wiki 30 years old.

But what caught my eye was his nicknames.

The Smiling Assassin
    Licensed to Thrill
    The Tartan Nugget
    The Glaswegian Gladiator

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great cuing!

Pockets must seem like buckets to him. It's ridiculous the amount of crazy pots he has got in quick succession.

This has been a mesmerising frame.

Even Desi is having a great reffing game difficult respots, telling the crowd to cop on.

That was funny alright :p Mon Desi!!

walshb wrote: »
    Great cuing!
    This has been a mesmerising frame.

Tell you what if McGill does win this I hope he has not peaked to early. How can he play that good again?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If McGill can keep this up, it will be hard to see anyone beat him.

It's not as if Bingham has been playing badly either.

That wonder frame came from a fine break off. No way you'd think someone would take on that long red at the beginning of a frame like that.

Anyway, time to enjoy the last one of the night.

• Advertisement

If McGill can keep this up, it will be hard to see anyone beat him.

Big word that :D At the minute, he's playing like he's the G.O.A.T. Hopefully it continues for The Glasgow Gladiator,, Most open WC in yonks this..

Thought it was a strange shot choice by Ballrun; playing for the pink to middle,. Wonder why he didn't go for the black,,, Steve and Dennis didn't criticize it, and I guess they know more than me... Anthony must be buzzing now :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Who noticed the error in the score earlier today during the Wilson/Robertson match?
    Was it the referee?

tanko wrote: »
    Who noticed the error in the score earlier today during the Wilson/Robertson match?
    Was it the referee?

Kyren queried it i think. They'd given him 5 points for potting a black instead of 7 so had him at 65 up instead of 67 with 5 reds remaining. So must have been keeping score himself.

Kyren queried it i think. They'd given him 5 points for potting a black instead of 7 so had him at 65 up instead of 67 with 5 reds remaining. So must have been keeping score himself.

That's interesting that a player would keep count of their own score and not just rely on the screen. The referee and scorer didn't correct the error though even after checking it. It didn't matter in the end but could have had a huge bearing on what looks like a tight match.

Great cueing by Kyren on that red, leaving it wide open if he missed. Well called by Anthony Hamilton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Wilson has really stepped it up since the interval

That's interesting that a player would keep count of their own score and not just rely on the screen. The referee and scorer didn't correct the error though even after checking it. It didn't matter in the end but could have had a huge bearing on what looks like a tight match.

It definitely would be worth looking at again. I thought it seemed to start with kyren raising a query as it happened but whether he'd have been that clued in to his own score, that's a fair point i have to say. Maybe some eagle eye spotted it on tv or in press room and alerted the scorer. Are you sure they didn't correct it? The tv updated the extra 2 points by the end i think anyway. Have to watch it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Wilson has really stepped it up since the interval

It looked like Robbo was going to rattle off a couple of frame but then he missed that black off the spot, since then he's kind of reverted back, but Kyren has done well to capitalize.

Some opening pot there from Robertson.

Whatever happens here we'll have 3 matches within 2 frames or closer going into tomorrow. Happy days after the lop-sided last 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

It definitely would be worth looking at again. I thought it seemed to start with kyren raising a query as it happened but whether he'd have been that clued in to his own score, that's a fair point i have to say. Maybe some eagle eye spotted it on tv or in press room and alerted the scorer. Are you sure they didn't correct it? The tv updated the extra 2 points by the end i think anyway. Have to watch it again though.

The tv updated, but it updated down rather than up. John Virgo was convinced the score which the BBC had was correct, and that was 67-0 to Wilson. There was 67 left on the table. I think the scoreboard in the arena said 65 though, and I think Wilson queried it (I’m not entirely sure it was Wilson who queried it, I missed that bit as I was trying to work at the same time as watching it :p!), and that’s when they double checked it, and said it was 65-0. The tv updated a minute or two later, but the lads in commentary still thought it should have been 67

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

What’s the reasoning for Wilson and Robertson back at 10 in morning . Surely it should be trump v Murphy but they do the afternoon and evening

Yeah pretty sure they continued with the wrong score on the screens the players and referee use but kept the "correct" score on the tv screen.
    The referee and scorer consulted and checked back but didn't add the two points for Wilson, he didn't really complain. Robertson had a chance to get back into the frame but missed a tricky blue and lost the frame anyway.
    John Virgo seemed certain the score was wrong.

Some opening pot there from Robertson.

Whatever happens here we'll have 3 matches within 2 frames or closer going into tomorrow. Happy days after the lop-sided last 16.

Indeed.. Apart (so far) from Selby/Williams' match, the other three are very close... Another thing is that form/ranking/odds etc... mean little at this stage.. The closest match on paper to a coin-toss was 'the battle of the cueballs' , with two out of the three other favs (who were all well odds-on) having a job on their hands, with only Selby looking obvious to progress to the last 4 atm.. Robbo and Trump definitely have a match on their hands, with both their matches all square. Nicely poised alright..

spurshero wrote: »
    What’s the reasoning for Wilson and Robertson back at 10 in morning . Surely it should be trump v Murphy but they do the afternoon and evening

They want to try and make sure they have enough frames available for the crowd, in case one match finishes early and a crowd got a bit short changed.

Yeah pretty sure they continued with the wrong score on the screens the players and referee use but kept the "correct" score on the tv screen.
    The referee and scorer consulted and checked back but didn't add the two points for Wilson, he didn't really complain. Robertson had a chance to get back into the frame but missed a tricky blue and lost the frame anyway.
    John Virgo seemed certain the score was wrong.

I'm wondering if the screens up over the audience, which the players sometimes look up at if their view is blocked, were showing the tv scoreboard which differed from the arena board and that's where the querying started. Hard to know. Jan and the scorer obviously got it wrong and would have been embarrassing if robbo had gone and cleared up though kyren never one to kick up a fuss usually. Just as well that alls well that ended well in the end, in a manner of speaking!

Good point about the screens, maybe that's how the discrepancy was noticed.

They want to try and make sure they have enough frames available for the crowd, in case one match finishes early and a crowd got a bit short changed.

That's not really fair on the players though, finishing late at night and then on early the following morning.
    Would it not be better if the matches that were on earlier this afternoon were up first in the morning.

Indeed.. Apart (so far) from Selby/Williams' match, the other three are very close... Another thing is that form/ranking/odds etc... mean little at this stage.. The closest match on paper to a coin-toss was 'the battle of the cueballs' , with two out of the three other favs (who were all well odds-on) having a job on their hands, with only Selby looking obvious to progress to the last 4 atm.. Robbo and Trump definitely have a match on their hands, with both their matches all square. Nicely poised alright..

Normally in my head at this stage I would have a top two who I think would be in the final.

Trump v Murphy -

I suppose if I was pushed I would say Trump is a bit ahead of the pack.
    But then I say what about Murphy if that fella gets momentum he is dangerous,

Selby v Williams -

OK Selby out played him. But the bits I saw Williams could have nicked another 1/2 frames. Quick start crucial for Williams.

McGill v Bingham -

McGill flying but Bingham playing great as well, Both playing with a real freedom. Plus thinking really clearly lots of clever stuff as well as the big breaks.

But I honestly have not much of a notion who will win. I can't remember a championship being so level at the QF stages. Seems to have been a bit of a gap in the between players in the 2nd round though.

Robertson v Wilson -

I have no idea on this one all over the shop.

--
    --

On paper if I pushed it could be a Trump v Selby final. But I would be of no way sure.

For some reason in my head I think if Selby gets to the final, I can't see him losing.

That's not really fair on the players though, finishing late at night and then on early the following morning.
    Would it not be better if the matches that were on earlier this afternoon were up first in the morning.

Yeah an anxious Ken was looking at his watch trying to calculate how much sleep Kyren and Robertson will get. :D

Swings and roundabouts. It means the winner has a bit more time ahead of the semi finals compared to the others. 24 hours anyway.

Ronnie was saying earlier that doesn't matter at this stage, the players are ready to go and will plough through any tiredness now, session times don't really matter.
    Anthony Hamilton was saying good luck trying to sleep after a session like that, you'd be buzzing for hours. Robertson probably has all manner of meditations to bring himself down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement