Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

Normally in my head at this stage I would have a top two who I think would be in the final.

Trump v Murphy -

I suppose if I was pushed I would say Trump is a bit ahead of the pack.
    But then I say what about Murphy if that fella gets momentum he is dangerous,

Selby v Williams -

OK Selby out played him. But the bits I saw Williams could have nicked another 1/2 frames. Quick start crucial for Williams.

McGill v Bingham -

McGill flying but Bingham playing great as well, Both playing with a real freedom. Plus thinking really clearly lots of clever stuff as well as the big breaks.

But I honestly have not much of a notion who will win. I can't remember a championship being so level at the QF stages. Seems to have been a bit of a gap in the between players in the 2nd round though.

Robertson v Wilson -

I have no idea on this one all over the shop.

--
    --

On paper if I pushed it could be a Trump v Selby final. But I would be of no way sure.

For some reason in my head I think if Selby gets to the final, I can't see him losing.

Am liking Murphy myself... Selby fav now... Can't pick a winner myself - only the order of preference of the ones I think can't win :

In 1: MJW because he's so far behind
    2: Wilson - all round game not good enough
    3: Ballrun - just can't see him do it / joint with Stuart I'd have Robbo, though that's mainly 'recency bias' with a very moderate session earlier.

So it's either; in no particular order Selby, Trump, Anto, or Shaun who will reign victorious, for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

It's going to be Selby i reckon, Trump is the only one who has the game to compete with him on his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

tanko wrote: »
    That's not really fair on the players though, finishing late at night and then on early the following morning.
    Would it not be better if the matches that were on earlier this afternoon were up first in the morning.

If its unfair, then at least it's unfair on them both equally so neither has an advantage.

Ultimately it ensures there'll likely be a full session tomorrow afternoon - if tonights games both ended 13-3 and they were both scheduled for tomorrow afternoon then there'd be no snooker so refunds to the crowd and the tv companies.
    Even if they were both 11-5 there might just be two frames each and then there's nothing else to show. Necessary evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Robbo going to get done off the roll up break off. Not the start he was looking for clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Robbo going to get done off the roll up break off. Not the start he was looking for clearly.

Dominic Dale made an excellent point. He said he does not understand why the players do not roll up to the side of the pack instead. As it would have less risk.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Big slice of luck for kyren in the last but he's dominating the safety exchanges and dictating the tempo and mood right now. Neil has spent most of the year reassuring himself that he'd never let himself get sucked into this negative spiral again. He's right back in it, though, facing massive test of his character now.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Robertson under huge pressure now,

Absolute must win frame before the interval, no two ways about it.

Jesus that's a poor in-off. If that's the difference between 12-8 and 11-9 it's massive.

• Advertisement

No red button?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Robbos going out here.

I see Mark Allen had Leanne Evans kicked out of the studio because it was beside where he was practising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Could they not devise some sort of laser pointer system for re-placing the balls? Seems a bit primitive the way they do it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The Nal wrote: »
    Robbos going out here.

I see Mark Allen had Leanne Evans kicked out of the studio because it was beside where he was practising.

He comes across as a really unpleasant person. Virtually everything he posts on Twitter is him having a dig at someone.

Could they not devise some sort of laser pointer system for re-placing the balls? Seems a bit primitive the way they do it...

Dunno tbh but have noticed in the chinese events, when they were on anyway, they always showed the outline of the cue ball on the screen and ref could just manoeuvre it until it was a perfect match. Often wondered why they never did the same in uk events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dunno tbh but have noticed in the chinese events, when they were on anyway, they always showed the outline of the cue ball on the screen and ref could just manoeuvre it until it was a perfect match. Often wondered why they never did the same in uk events.

They were showing an overlay yesterday.

I'm assuming that that's the view that the TV official would have in the event it's required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It was done from the referee's memory with the help of the players up until quite recently (10/15 years maybe).

Nightmare session for Robertson

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Sorry to go all the way back to the first frame last night but when Robertson was clearing up would he not have been better to lay a snooker behind the blue and not pot the brown (if people remember how the balls were) rather than clearing up for a respotted black? It would have kept him in control of the table?

It really has turned out to be a key frame.

B2021M wrote: »
    Sorry to go all the way back to the first frame last night but when Robertson was clearing up would he not have been better to lay a snooker behind the blue and not pot the brown (if people remember how the balls were) rather than clearing up for a respotted black? It would have kept him in control of the table?

It really has turned out to be a key frame.

Yeah, i think that was definitely an option. Not sure if the angle was great for getting a snooker but it would have been a difficult one if he could get the brown far enough up the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Has there been many re-racks due to the roll up break off?

• Advertisement

It was done from the referee's memory with the help of the players up until quite recently (10/15 years maybe).

Remember Parrott v Knowles, crucible 1992. Parrott in a snooker, fouls and a miss. Balls replaced and parrott nonchalantly gets down and pots the ball. Ronnie once nominated it as one of his funniest crucible memories.

They were showing an overlay yesterday.

I'm assuming that that's the view that the TV official would have in the event it's required.

That bit is fine as far as it goes, but could they not come up with some way of projecting the 'before' image onto the actual table, rather than this 'move the white a bit to the left' business? I'm sure if there was more money in the sport it would have been done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Willo will do well to avoid losing with a session to spare. Going back to traditional break off now.

Robertson underachieving at crucible goes on another year. Hard to figure

Robbos going out here.

RLD6yxSzVJu9.gif

The two lads mustn't have done, otherwise they wouldn't have been stocking up on so many bottles of water for a single frame:P

eric hoone wrote: »
    Robertson underachieving at crucible goes on another year. Hard to figure

Hard one for him to take, be 40 the next time the world champs swing around and while young enough by todays standards, it can't be getting any easier. Just goes to show i think the unique and brutal demands of this 17 day marathon. Talent and ability only one part of the equation. Wilsons a bit rough round the edges still, but he's a proper crucible player and i think they've been a dying breed for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Don't know what happened to Robertson in this match. Had been playing so well and I had him as probably the fav to win a long overdue 2nd world title. But his level dropped so much during this match for done reason.

Selby definitely the stand out so far. Has dominated every single match.

Very interested to see if Trump can step it up v Murphy. Hasn't brought his A game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I feel like Wilson is liable to collapse soon enough and I'd rather be watching McGill Bingham.

Gas.

This sport just loves to make a mug of ya daily.

The big Williams comeback starts and ends here!:P

Robbos going out here.

Obviously holds grudges. Feel sorry for their daughter.

• Advertisement

Gas.

This sport just loves to make a mug of ya daily.

In fairness I was slagging Kyren off a bit about his 'warrior' nickname.
    But he has lived up to it today. But of luck helped as well though.

TheHopeful wrote: »
    Don't know what happened to Robertson in this match. Had been playing so well and I had him as probably the fav to win a long overdue 2nd world title. But his level dropped so much during this match for done reason.

Selby definitely the stand out so far. Has dominated every single match.

Very interested to see if Trump can step it up v Murphy. Hasn't brought his A game so far.

Very first shot of the restart seemed to throw Robertson leaving him the red from the break off. Gave Kyren a bit of a push start. Robertson never really recovered after that.

Selby imperious and hard enough to see beaten if this level is maintained. Not much willo could do about that, just beaten by the better man and plenty of time to squeeze 9 in round celtic manor presuming he's got the motor running outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Bit of an anti climax that session for one I was looking forward to . Was hoping for a Williams comeback and Wilson Robertson to go close . Afternoon could do with adding a bit of drama . If trump happened to hit for for example we could have no snooker for watching come 8 tonight ! Hopefully murph keeps it close ! Bingham and McGill could still go either way but Bingham needs fast start . Selby looks a step ahead of everybody at moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Another year another disappointment for Robbo, don't no what it is with him and the crucible but for a player of his quality he's been very poor at this event.

Maybe the long format just doesn't suit him...anyway well done to Wilson he was strong in the end.

Another year another disappointment for Robbo, don't no what it is with him and the crucible but for a player of his quality he's been very poor at this event.

Maybe the long format just doesn't suit him...anyway well done to Wilson he was strong in the end.

That was one of the conclusions Phil Yates came up with. Robertson getting bogged down in longer matches.
    Whereas he can bully players in the shorter format matches.

He even had other excuses for Robertson putting too much pressure on himself, his father over from Australia to watch him this year etc
    I thought the last two excuses were a bit weak if am honest!

Just caught a bit of robbos post match interview, didnt seem too down, talking about his "best ever season" and making 70 odd centuries. Said crucible tight spaces dont suit him as he cant walk into his shots the way he'd like. Wasn't really making excuses to be fair to him, but I'd have thought his best ever season was 2010 when he won the big one. A world title for me is worth at least a uk and tour championship combined.

Just caught a bit of robbos post match interview, didnt seem too down, talking about his "best ever season" and making 70 odd centuries. Said crucible tight spaces dont suit him as he cant walk into his shots the way he'd like. Wasn't really making excuses to be fair to him, but I'd have thought his best ever season was 2010 when he won the big one. A world title for me is worth at least a uk and tour championship combined.

Talking about centuries is a waste of time . There will be over 100 centuries in this tournament alone helped of course by the fact that the pockets are certainly a tad easier then they were years ago .

spurshero wrote: »
    Talking about centuries is a waste of time . There will be over 100 centuries in this tournament alone helped of course by the fact that the pockets are certainly a tad easier then they were years ago .

On commentary last night Anthony Hamilton mentioned a match he played in the world championships once in which he made 3 centuries and 7 50+ breaks and lost 10-9. Obviously ability to score heavily is great, but i do agree it can be overdone at times, robbo sometimes seems obsessed with them. Remember another match from last season in which murphy had 7 tons and still lost 9-8 to mark allen. They're not always the be all and end all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I didn't see it, but I'm surprised Kyren Wilson beat Robertson. I don't rate Wilson at all. Was Robertson off form?

On commentary last night Anthony Hamilton mentioned a match he played in the world championships once in which he made 3 centuries and 7 50+ breaks and lost 10-9. Obviously ability to score heavily is great, but i do agree it can be overdone at times, robbo sometimes seems obsessed with them. Remember another match from last season in which murphy had 7 tons and still lost 9-8 to mark allen. They're not always the be all and end all.

Exactly would ya rather have the 5 tournaments trump
    Has won this season or 150 centuries . I don’t think there’s much debate .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

That was one of the conclusions Phil Yates came up with. Robertson getting bogged down in longer matches.
    Whereas he can bully players in the shorter format matches.

He even had other excuses for Robertson putting too much pressure on himself, his father over from Australia to watch him this year etc
    I thought the last two excuses were a bit weak if am honest!

Yeah to me he seems more like a blitzkrieg type player, get it fast and hard and do damage quickly, that's just not possible to sustain in longer formats, you'll get bogged down eventually and be required to battle and tough it out...that doesn't suit him.

sligeach wrote: »
    I didn't see it, but I'm surprised Kyren Wilson beat Robertson. I don't rate Wilson at all. Was Robertson off form?

Bit harsh on Wilson I think . For a player you don’t rate he made last years world final and back in semi final now . He is still to win one of the big 3 but he will I think . Haven’t said all that Robertson was poor this morning

Yeah to me he seems more like a blitzkrieg type player, get it fast and hard and do damage quickly, that's just not possible to sustain in longer formats, you'll get bogged down eventually and be required to battle and tough it out...that doesn't suit him.

Blitzkrieg is a great way to put it!

Robertson definitely needs the confidence of one frame visits centuries. Or else he does not seem to spark.

He loves getting centuries one visit stuff. Obviously, considering he was the first player to make 100 centuries in a calendar year. He celebrated that feat like he had won a big tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

With the exception of Ronnie vs McGill and Ding vs Bingham it's been pretty dull fare this year in terms of drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭waynescales1

In fairness I was slagging Kyren off a bit about his 'warrior' nickname.
    But he has lived up to it today. But of luck helped as well though.

Wilson the wimp blows Robertson away.

The long format matches really do separate the men from the boys though. There’s a level of consistency and stamina needed that some players just don’t have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Was Googling some of the players and I seen this image as his profile photo for Shaun Murphy.
    licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMub-yg86ou7hEvrbptq8B8G-LjGc6_7MGAA3SHEguWVoC626yJ4-siAE-gaQR

It made me laugh. I'm sure he's delighted with that. He looks like a cross between Beaker from The Muppets and Roy Slater from Only Fools and Horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Wilson is a fascinating one. At time he seems brittle but then at times he just seems relentless. I think he is just a genuinely nice guy who prbnaly lacks a bit of inner self belief but who is always extremely competitive.

He seems to love the grind and challenge the crucible brings. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't win multiple world championships over the next decade.

Wilson the wimp blows Robertson away.

The long format matches really do separate the men from the boys though. There’s a level of consistency and stamina needed that some players just don’t have.

Playing best of 7s most of the year, roll on roll off, no intervals, i really dont see how players can develop the proper mentality for a 17 day marathon like this anymore. It's probably a total culture shock for young players experiencing it for the first time and lots will never adapt to it. Dont see too many more mcgills or wilsons on the horizon whose games seem made for it. Yan Bingtao possibly another given time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Remember people, this is actually the format which made Peter Ebdon a world champion

• Advertisement
Advertisement