Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

zuutroy wrote: »
    With the exception of Ronnie vs McGill and Ding vs Bingham it's been pretty dull fare this year in terms of drama.

It's been tough watching alrite, all the qualifiers apart from Bingham have been poor. Very few players in good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Playing best of 7s most of the year, roll on roll off, no intervals, i really dont see how players can develop the proper mentality for a 17 day marathon like this anymore. It's probably a total culture shock for young players experiencing it for the first time and lots will never adapt to it. Dont see too many more mcgills or wilsons on the horizon whose games seem made for it. Yan Bingtao possibly another given time.

Never thought about that aspect of it. More long format tournaments on the tour is the obvious solution to that but Hearn’s approach won’t allow for it I don’t think. How are you going to fit a few 2 week long format tournaments into an already packed schedule on a 128 player tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

begbysback wrote: »
    Remember people, this is actually the format which made Peter Ebdon a world champion

Are you saying the pinnacle of the sport should be shorter and thus easier to win?

Part of the biggest attraction to the World Championship is the fact that it's a relentless slog and requires players to dig down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Never thought about that aspect of it. More long format tournaments on the tour is the obvious solution to that but Hearn’s approach won’t allow for it I don’t think. How are you going to fit a few 2 week long format tournaments into an already packed schedule on a 128 player tour?

Yeah, no chance of it. It's just fusty old traditionalists like me pining for the days when the uk champs were a proper second long format tournament. But they're definitely not coming back anytime soon.

Yeah, no chance of it. It's just fusty old traditionalists like me pining for the days when the uk champs were a proper second long format tournament. But they're definitely not coming back anytime soon.

You're not fusty at all.

There's a lot to be said to have an singular tournament take over coverage for a fortnight and beyond.

Discussion and storylines develop. People can dip in and out.

This drive to satisfy tik tok watching kids, that were never gonna watch it anyway, is eating a lot of sports up at the moment and is going to ruin them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Wasn't the Tour Championship in 2019 a move in that direction. Best of 25 final and good long matches leading up to it.
    The UK could easily reinstate longer semi finals (best of 17) and add 2 or 3 frames to the final if there was a will to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Are you saying the pinnacle of the sport should be shorter and thus easier to win?

Part of the biggest attraction to the World Championship is the fact that it's a relentless slog and requires players to dig down.

Actually I’m kind of on the fence really, it’s a bit like horse racing, the grand National is a slog and probably the biggest race, but the grand National winner is never the overall best horse.

Not sure if Wilson v Robertson is the best example though as Wilson seemed to have Robertson’s number the past few matches, and over shorter matches.

Maybe the top 16 could form a break away league, for which they automatically qualify each year?

Wasn't the Tour Championship in 2019 a move in that direction. Best of 25 final and good long matches leading up to it.
    The UK could easily reinstate longer semi finals (best of 17) and add 2 or 3 frames to the final if there was a will to do it.

Tour championships definitely a good introduction as far as it goes. Finals could be longer too but I'd imagine the tv bosses exert some influence when it comes to formats and i think they generally prefer the shorter matches wherever possible.

Another day, another judd struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Poor shot by Murphy, that will likely cost him the frame. Looks amazed, a straightforward pot.

I'd assume he got a big kick there, hopefully doesn't let it get to him. Looks very relaxed and comfortable out there while trump appears a little subdued. To me anyway.

Pretty worried by what I’m seeing from Trump, I think Selby is actually going to coast to victory this year.

Find it a bit strange; that with this being the biggest comp - by a long chalk :pac: , that there's no 'studio talk' going on... No Jimmy, Ronnie, Fouldsy, Andy the Jew (:P oops - couldn't help it) , or the cloying nordie Murray.

One would think that all the troops would be 'on hand' to proffer their punditry between every session/interval for the whole 17 or so days.

Not so, I guess..

For me, about 20% of entertainment value comes from listening to the former pros giving their opinion/s, and even the lame 'banter' is okay at times too...

Had to listen to Dom and Yates give a 'reprise' of the previous 4 frames..

Anyway, Mon Spud :D

This would be the time for murph to kick on and start really laying it down. Dont give judd the chance to hold on to your coattails. Win the next and then have 2 gos for a lead going into tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You're not fusty at all.

There's a lot to be said to have an singular tournament take over coverage for a fortnight and beyond.

Discussion and storylines develop. People can dip in and out.

This drive to satisfy tik tok watching kids, that were never gonna watch it anyway, is eating a lot of sports up at the moment and is going to ruin them.

I agree with this a snooker match is a game that should be let develop and breath. It is not crash bang wallop like most other sports.

It is the most auld fella thing I will ever say. But I think rise of computer games have contributed to relegating snooker from dizzy heights when it was all the rage.

Kids prefer to spend hours doing that instead of playing snooker. As snooker is unusual in that it an 'indoor pursuit' computer games has usurped it completely.
    That is my theory.

There are many 'non athletic type' fellas who pick snooker and would be hopeless at athletic sports. If the likes of Stephen Lee and Shaun Murphy were born a generation or so later. I would say they would have been online 'gamers'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Poor shot by Murphy looked to have rushed that,

I hope 22yr old Shaun is having a word with 38yr old Shaun, and saying "Well done mate - keep it up" :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

McGill looked unstoppable last night, now he's lost 4 in a row, the twists and turns like this are the reason I love the WC.

• Advertisement

begbysback wrote: »
    Actually I’m kind of on the fence really, it’s a bit like horse racing, the grand National is a slog and probably the biggest race, but the grand National winner is never the overall best horse.

Madness. The Grand National for a start, is a horrible race.

There's not a hope that we'd be watching the WC if it was a load of best of 7s and done in a week.

The BBC have certainly upped their coverage this year, and it's most welcome. Having wall-to-wall coverage brings in the casual and there's a lot out there who don't watch the game outside of those 3 weeks in April, so having them onboard helps the game.

McGill just has the stamp of a player who'd hate to have to do things too easily, if it's not an all out last man standing war, he's just not happy. Could be under the cosh now, though.

'The Grand National' ???

Zero comparison -Marathon , or otherwise, it's a HANDICAP ffs... lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,711 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pretty worried by what I’m seeing from Trump, I think Selby is actually going to coast to victory this year.

He is the new favorite now, and seems to be hitting real form

He really has the complete game for four sessions snooker...so consistent and mentally strong, as well as a fantastic break builder.

5 on the bounce for "cueball senior" - was mainly watching Murphy/Trump - some copitulation/comeback.... Gotta feel for Anthony - some session last night; and now he's one frame away from going out at 12-10..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Alway been a disapoiment to me the way Murphy has underperformed over the years as I've always believed he can do better, like he is today. He's one of my top 3 players to watch on form, Ronnie and Williams being the other two.

I'm hoping he can pull this off today. And that Selby had peaked a bit too early.

• Advertisement

I can't believe this session from McGill.

Amazing what the break does to a player. He was unstoppable last night.

That long red there was money. The pressure must have been unbearable.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Alway been a disapoiment to me the way Murphy has underperformed over the years as I've always believed he can do better, like he is today. He's one of my top 3 players to watch on form, Ronnie and Williams being the other two.

I'm hoping he can pull this off today. And that Selby had peaked a bit too early.

#MeToo :D

On both counts :)

That long red from Bingham was the match.

Should not have left that red, Anto!

Shaun is "dialled in" , as the golf pundits like to say.... Gwan Murph :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

walshb wrote: »
    He is the new favorite now, and seems to be hitting real form

He really has the complete game for four sessions snooker...so consistent and mentally strong, as well as a fantastic break builder.

He gets too much stick IMO, he has it all really, great safety, great tactician, great break builder and great mentally, does well as a front runner but also has great ability to battle through tough and awkward matches.

If judd goes on to lose, i will lay any money he blames the table.

Guaranteed to have at least one excuse.. Don't know if his brother is with him this go-around ( I know he wasn't travelling with him the last long while, due to restrictions) . That could be another one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wasn't Kyren Wilson also complaining that the cloth should be changed after every session?

Guaranteed to have at least one excuse.. Don't know if his brother is with him this go-around ( I know he wasn't travelling with him the last long while, due to restrictions) . That could be another one..

Think the brother is there alright so might rule that one out. It's just that table does seem to be playing a bit on the slow side, wilson was even complaining about it later, so just seems a ready made excuse for judd should he want it.

I can't believe this session from McGill.

Amazing what the break does to a player. He was unstoppable last night.

That long red there was money. The pressure must have been unbearable.

That is what I was worried about yesterday. That McGill played that well that it would be impossible to sustain that level.

Shaun is "dialled in" , as the golf pundits like to say.... Gwan Murph :):)

Can we officially adopt him? Second name Murphy. Lives in Ireland. Irish wife.

Good idea that... He's "one of our own" now that he's living here, and what with him having a "Proper Irish name" , tis a no-brainer :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What a red by McGill there.

Huge stones. Been absolutely hammered today but no way I'd be offering last rites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

McGill going down swinging.

beertons wrote: »
    What a red by McGill there.

Unbelievable stuff.

This match from start to finish has been top-drawer. Best of the tournament by far.

Scottish Granite - Am glad he appears to be relatively tall (not sure what height he is) ; as there is little chance of that patronizing "plucky" descriptor being bestowed upon him.... A proper player too - If all comps were at least best of 21; then he'd surely be a top 8 player..

He's not lacking in any department.. Maybe now he'll get the credit he deserves... Only thirty (thought he was older until recently) , so win or lose today, I can see him being one of the players who have never won this, that will win it someday.... Unlike Wilson (who'll always fall short imo) , or Allen..

Gwan Ant :)

Both of them have played brilliantly, tough that one of them has to go home after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If he starts spelling Seán the proper way:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

spurshero wrote: »
    Talking about centuries is a waste of time . There will be over 100 centuries in this tournament alone helped of course by the fact that the pockets are certainly a tad easier then they were years ago .
    Obviously there is some sort of correlation between centuries and success but the guys who consistently hit 60-80s are going to win more... That's generally what you need to get you over the line in a frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Massive break for McGill there with the black going in:eek:

In goes the black from Bingham, so unlucky. This is proper Crucible drama now.

In goes the black from Bingham, so unlucky. This is proper Crucible drama now.

This is exactly why the WC is such a great tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

The last time I seen Murphy play this well was when he got to the final in 2015 and when he won it in 2005. Also really impressed with Bingham and he's playing just as good as when he won it in 2015. I suppose that's obv to say as he hasn't got this far since then

Advertisement